Sign in to follow this  
garybdavis

Milestone may not be for me... (upgrade $$)

I'm beginning to think Milestone is not for me. I've been running a Dell T20 based server system with 12 Hikvision cameras and Milestone XProtect Essential 2014. Lately, I'm having some issues that seem to be Windows compatibility based. Maybe if I left my Windows system alone and not updated it, things would be stuck in time and still stable. But, I need to update Milestone or get something else.

Milestone is offering a special (50% discount) to go to XProtect Express. That's valid until the end of 2016. Since my upgrade expired 9/2016, the special deal will cost me $504 for a 12 camera system. That gets me a 3 year upgrade plan. I already have $600 into Milestone software and I've been running for just over a year.

https://www.milestonesys.com/newsletters/reseller_/emea/2016/October/Upgrade-XProtect-Essential-Customers-to-XProtect-Express-for-free/

This is just a home security system but I don't want to have to pay fees every year to keep my system running. Anyone else want to whine about paying annual fees with me?

I'm beginning to think Milestone is not for me. I've been running a Dell T20 based server system with 12 Hikvision cameras and Milestone XProtect Essential 2014. Lately, I'm having some issues that seem to be Windows compatibility based. Maybe if I left my Windows system alone and not updated it, things would be stuck in time and still stable. But, I need to update Milestone or get something else.

Milestone is offering a special (50% discount) to go to XProtect Express. That's valid until the end of 2016. Since my upgrade expired 9/2016, the special deal will cost me $504 for a 12 camera system. That gets me a 3 year upgrade plan. I already have $600 into Milestone software and I've been running for just over a year.

https://www.milestonesys.com/newsletters/reseller_/emea/2016/October/Upgrade-XProtect-Essential-Customers-to-XProtect-Express-for-free/

This is just a home security system but I don't want to have to pay fees every year to keep my system running. Anyone else want to whine about paying annual fees with me?

Check Avigilon

So which Avigilon version would you recommend? I just want the basics for a 12 camera system: camera activated motion recording for 15 days, app for iPhone and Android, run on a T20 Xeon at ~25% CPU, no annual fees, Hikvision camera drivers, motion based recording search capability and Windows based software that is supported for more than a year or two.

And where do I buy Avigilon?

So which Avigilon version would you recommend? I just want the basics for a 12 camera system: camera activated motion recording for 15 days, app for iPhone and Android, run on a T20 Xeon at ~25% CPU, no annual fees, Hikvision camera drivers, motion based recording search capability and Windows based software that is supported for more than a year or two.

And where do I buy Avigilon?

Have a look at pic and decide

Where are you located?

186427675_ACCselectionMatrix.thumb.jpg.3801b6d8f19ad14076d2a698b9bf1240.jpg

Not to cloud your options but I chose the path I did based on the lack of annual costs. I use Bluecherry for my system. When you buy a license with Bluecherry, that license is good for that major version. Example, they're on version 2 right now, and will be for some time yet. Upon the release of version 3, you can upgrade from 2 to 3 for 50% of the cost (according to their docs). The alternative is to just stay on version 2 for life. There's no force-upgrade-march involved.

The software is very much a server+client relationship. Server is Linux based, with most of their focus on Ubuntu. The client is a separate component which interfaces with the server, allowing you to use an actual interface instead of having to VNC/RDP/whatever to the server/NVR itself to view feeds and whatnot. While the server is focused on Ubuntu, their client is cross platform - Windows, Mac, Linux.

I run continual recording on mine with six 3 MP cameras. Current server load is 0.00, so basically, next to nothing. Not bad for a low wattage i3 processor. Motion of course would spike it up a bit, but overall the software is pretty light.

Unfortunately, no mobile app yet, though it's not difficult to get the live feeds interfacing with something like TinyCam, which is primary what I use for remote view. If playing back previous feeds via smartphone is a necessity then this may be a bust, though between my upload speed at home and bandwidth capabilities out and about, even remote view is a blessing.

Not sure how this aligns with your needs, but if nothing else, just an idea.

Avigilon doesn't do service agreements so you don't need to worry about an annual fee. I believe their strategy is to get you to pay for a major release (i.e. ACC 5 to 6).

I'm perfectly happy to pay for each major release. I just want them to continue to support it for a decent length of time (like several years). Mainly issuing updates to keep up with the Microsoft Windows updates. I haven't seen any Avigilon pricing but will get with ak357 to find out how much $$.