Twit42

What is the "best" DVR card out there today?

I just got done assembling a PC to use as an NVR, and was considering the addition of a DVR card to run simultaneously with the IP cameras.

I plan to run a total of 8 IP cameras, but I also happen to have quite a few of older technology cameras (RCA/BNC type) as well, and was considering using them in places that were more prone to damage, or places where I don't need all that much resolution.

What would be a decent quality DVR card that would work with Blue Iris or Milestone, and using PCI-Express slots?

I would only need 4 channels, but wouldn't necessarily be adverse to picking up a card with more channels if having more individual processors for fewer cameras would give me a performance boost on the recording. (I've done some reading on the back posts, and understand that most of these cards have 1 video chip per 4 channels, but since most of these posts are dated to 2010, I couldn't find any of the same brands still in operation. EDIT: Yes, I realize that there is probably good reason for this... )

The main reasons that I'm considering this, is that there are a couple of places where I would be looking at mounting cameras low enough to make them out to be easy vandalism targets and there a couple of places where I was considering a wide angle shot for situational awareness but little else. - In either situation, the older technology should suit.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure its "the best" but Geovision always made good DVR cards

https://www.amazon.com/GEOVISION-GV-600-display-record-playback/dp/B0039YNLUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498229705&sr=8-2&keywords=geovision+dvr

No idea how to integrate with your current software. May not be possible. Card will come with Geovision software but you cant use other brand IP cameras on Geovision software without paying a fee.

I just got done assembling a PC to use as an NVR, and was considering the addition of a DVR card to run simultaneously with the IP cameras.

I plan to run a total of 8 IP cameras, but I also happen to have quite a few of older technology cameras (RCA/BNC type) as well, and was considering using them in places that were more prone to damage, or places where I don't need all that much resolution.

What would be a decent quality DVR card that would work with Blue Iris or Milestone, and using PCI-Express slots?

I would only need 4 channels, but wouldn't necessarily be adverse to picking up a card with more channels if having more individual processors for fewer cameras would give me a performance boost on the recording. (I've done some reading on the back posts, and understand that most of these cards have 1 video chip per 4 channels, but since most of these posts are dated to 2010, I couldn't find any of the same brands still in operation. EDIT: Yes, I realize that there is probably good reason for this... )

The main reasons that I'm considering this, is that there are a couple of places where I would be looking at mounting cameras low enough to make them out to be easy vandalism targets and there a couple of places where I was considering a wide angle shot for situational awareness but little else. - In either situation, the older technology should suit.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

It's probably lot cheaper to buy TVI standalone DVR and use with your Analog cameras

Thanks for the Geovision reference, mattaggie. I was seeing the name come up on some of the searches I was doing, but wasn't seeing much to tell me whether or not they were worth a look. Now I know.

Ak357, as far as a separate TVL recorder is concerned, I'll keep that in mind once I find out how much a decent card is going to cost me.

I'm already invested into a new-ish computer to use as a dedicated NVR/NAS, and would tend to want to keep files on the same hard drive for convenience, if possible. - That, and I'm also trying to do my research for the next step on this project which is to set up some kind of cloud based backup, so that way I still have images in the event someone breaks in and manages to steal the physical record itself.

The extra expense of DVR card versus picking having a separate device that might not be able to handle cloud backup... It's a good thought, though, it does give me a different option to consider.

Thanks again to both.

If anyone else has any opinion/advice, it's still welcome. - I want to do this right, or as right as possible.