Sign in to follow this  
kragle

Advice on setting up a PC for NVR/DVR H.264 CCTV system

Hi all,

I have had a run in with some bad NVR units bought on Amazon, FLOUREON to be presice, which both died shortly (1yr) after setting it up. I was just wondering if you could shed some light on a way of setting up either a Linux based system or Windows 7 PC for use with a DVR H.264 set of cameras already located in the shop.

I want reliablity over anything, and I know that an actual PC is reliable and if it does go wrong, I can replace the parts very easily! Where as these cheap china knockoffs on Amazon are full of cheap parts which tend to go wrong, I'm even cautious of the better brands now, so PC alternative would be ideal.

I already have the machine, and I already have 2 hard drives. One for the OS and one for storage. I already have the software from the previous CCTV system that was on Windows which fed from the original CCTV NRV box... But I am doubtful if this would work at all without the main NVR box it just viewed/played and recorded the video.

Any ideas on how I go about it?

In short:

Windows or Linux?

Which software - free if possible.

Which Capture card? - under £50 if possible but over is fine? And has to be mini PCI-E or USB based.

The right cables, convert from Coaxial to VGA?

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Kragle

Hi all,

I have had a run in with some bad NVR units bought on Amazon, FLOUREON to be presice, which both died shortly (1yr) after setting it up. I was just wondering if you could shed some light on a way of setting up either a Linux based system or Windows 7 PC for use with a DVR H.264 set of cameras already located in the shop.

I want reliablity over anything, and I know that an actual PC is reliable and if it does go wrong, I can replace the parts very easily! Where as these cheap china knockoffs on Amazon are full of cheap parts which tend to go wrong, I'm even cautious of the better brands now, so PC alternative would be ideal.

I already have the machine, and I already have 2 hard drives. One for the OS and one for storage. I already have the software from the previous CCTV system that was on Windows which fed from the original CCTV NRV box... But I am doubtful if this would work at all without the main NVR box it just viewed/played and recorded the video.

Any ideas on how I go about it?

In short:

Windows or Linux?

Which software - free if possible.

Which Capture card? - under £50 if possible but over is fine? And has to be mini PCI-E or USB based.

The right cables, convert from Coaxial to VGA?

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Kragle

The software will come with the card you purchase. To choose a card, not sure, read the reviews?

It's a fairly easy endeavor. I've been running 4 cameras on a Dell Dimension 4600 (XP) that I garbage picked from the recycling center for 10 years now (24/7/365) without any issues. I've committed myself to an upgrade as soon as it quits but it just won't quit!

The card I used is branded Swann PC DVR 4 Net but is (was?) available in many other non-branded incarnations.

https://www.amazon.com/Swann-PC-DVR-4-Net/dp/B0007OKRIY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I use old hard drives for storage and it can run about 14 months with a 60 gig HD as the slave.

This is not a slick/high quality system but it does the trick quite competently. The issue is now, because of it's age is I can't find the old version of the remote viewing/playback app for Android anymore as I have some newer cell phones.

I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

Check ebay for a used dell server for under $300. They have some pretty insane specs for the spend. I have been trialing Sight Hound for the last few weeks, and works really well. It's not processor intensive and is user-friendly. It's pretty cheap too, unlimited cameras for $250.