Sign in to follow this  
ajdudley

BYO BlueIris Hybrid PC

Hi All,

I have lurked here for the better part of a year now, researching and gathering information in putting together a new surveillance system for my business. I appreciate all that you guys were willing to share. I am working with a fairly limited budget($10k) , and am trying to maximize what I can get. I have negotiated with a local CCTV installer off and on for the last couple of weeks, and am trying to decide whether to

A: go over-budget and have him install a Hybrid NVR, OR

B: Build my own hybrid system using BlueIris software and BlueCherry PCIe cards for the analog cameras.

A short summary of what this system will consist of :

(5) Axis 2-5MP cameras (IP)

(11) Old Analog Cameras

My question for you all is, Do I go over-budget and give the extra business to the professional or build a PC myself?

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fZYBnn

Any words of wisdom welcome! Thanks again for all of your contributions!

Edit: I guess I should voice what my concerns are.

I have a fairly good understanding of networking, and am very good at troubleshooting software and hardware. I have built several computers.

Is building my own going to cause me more headaches than this is worth? I have plenty of time on my hands to take the time to learn, but is this going to be over my head?

what are you getting for $10k plus?? NVR, 5 cameras and installation? Is this in a home? business? Price seems super high.

Hi. 10k is a big budget so it would be nice to try and get that down to half that.

First is your CCTV guy has recommended something not used anymore which is a hybrid IP / analog capture ..... Please don't go that way as analog cameras are old now.

But I understand you already have 11 analog and don't want to swap unless there broken.

Blue iris also has licence fees .... Is that something you want to be bothered with.

Also what type of business do you have ..... Low or high value ??

Also plays a part in the type of system. I/o alarm monitoring would not be available with blue iris. Also a home built PC may not be as reliable with having updates.

I would look at a tribrid unit ....... Gives you the option to use any camera on the market and have no licence fees at all.

This way you can use your new axis and your existing analog and give you the option to change each analog when ever you like to CVI 2mp which are direct replacement cameras for you already installed camera cables.

You know the price of your axis .... CVI cameras are around $60

So $660 would replace all 11 cameras to 2mp CVI. Then cost of recorder ...... So you can see $10k is too high.

I recommend this as a recorder.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/pro_details.php?pid=6598