Just to get the ball rolling guys, which Access control products do you guys use? We have only done around 10 large scale access control installations, and have used HID proximity equipment, a bit expensive, but excellent quality and reliability! I have not tried out any other manufacturer so would appreciate any recommendations for the smaller jobs.

Keyscan 32,000 card holders per site. Unlimited number of sites via tcp/ip or dial-up modem, unlimited number of doors, disaster recovery. Any application from 1 to infinite number of doors, comes in 2 4 or 8 reader panels. 512 user groups; 256 time zones, 512 different schedules, 3 different holiday types; up to 64 holiday dates. Retains last 6000 transactions in activity memory buffer, monitors door forced open and door held open alarm conditions; monitors temporary cards with programmable date activation/expiration and/or usage countdown. Dual processors for enhanced system performance-panels operate during uploading and downloading of data; removable terminal blocks; individual reader terminal blocks; mix match access control units for optimum installation; simple jumper settings for most Wiegand protocols. This System is truly awesome, no need to program HTML; very easy to use go to www.keyscan.ca This system will integrate with many DVR's; Photobadging; schedule backups etc. The list goes on and on. OH Great pricing for a system that has this many features.

So would it be possible to say use a different software other than the one the manufacturer has supplied to you? E.g. maybe you prefer one software over the other

With some manufacturers i.e. software house, Andover Controls, etc. You have to do all the programming in HTML. Sucks that you have to do so much work for a high end system. I've always told my customers that have mentioned those systems that there are two things about them. The good thing is, is that they are programmable. On the other hand, the bad thing is, is that they are programmable. A system like Keyscan covers everything you need from an access control system without having to do a bunch of programming. Who wants to write HTML for hours after wiring up the door? Personally I've installed both the Andover System and Keyscan. I don't ever want to install another system I have to write the programming for!

It really depends if you are going traditional or biometrics. Biometrics has become more popular these days as the units can do fingerprint, PIN or prox. The problem always becomes the outdoor units since weather is an issue and a biology problem not necessarily hardware. Also some systems have a better FRR than others, which is the big things. The software side we have seen a lot of DSX which interfaces with many of the systems out there including software house. On the biometric side we see alot of Bio-Guard and BioScrypt.

We use a basic IEI 232i keypad for entry/door striker along with one-way video phones (2 way audio) for reception.

I have used several systems and I am certified in CasiRusco Lenel Softwarehouse DSX Keyscan and others. They all have there place in the market one thing to consider is the health of the company will they be around next year. Our industry is constantly evolving Lenel was purchased last week for 400 mil by United Technoligies they own Chubb in Canada (its a huge security company world wide but not in the states) I dont about the UK so if they are a competitor you might not want to support them. If you buy Softwarhouse you support ADT and so on

For larger projects Lenel is a good product expensive but good. Keyscan is a great product availble to you over there. Keyscan is privatly held so no affiliations also they only do Card Access.

Keyscan will be announcing shortly full integration with Pelco soon probably waiting for the ISC show.

My best advice is go to a good trade show and talk with the reps get hands on with it and remember

www.keyscan.ca

Happy hunting

i have to say the best ACCESS stuff I have seen is HID and Cardax, but I just got to see the new BIS system by Bosch, we had a product roadmap meeting and there will be some amazing things happening in the next few months, and some things that the industry has never had before...very happy camper!!

but back to BIS.

BIS is a system that links PA, CCTV, Access, Intusion, I.P and Fire, all into one control package, it allows cad like drawings and ful control of all aspects over the Open Protocol,

For example if a smoke detector goes of, then it pops up on duty managers, screen, he has floorplan through HTML and a web page opens telling him his procedure to rmedy the problem and remove the alert from his screen, so he actions it to security guard.

Security guard gets alert, logs in and sees false alarm, presses button to release access floor way anyhow to make a path of escape, presses another button to launch PA Adress with warning, checks cameras for any people, then goes to have a look.

Gets there realises false alarm, sits on terminal there, or uses PDA and actions it to maintenance.

maintenance gets message on screen, actions it to test for fualt, tests it and then actions to wharehousing to order another one..and so on..

it is very cool indeed all configurable and links everything... Bosch just bought an access control company along with VCS video transmition company and it all links together.

DVRExpert,

Keyscan has done this for a while already. ISC West, Keyscan will be in booth 20095. I will be at this booth at 10 a.m. on thursday if anyone would like to come by and say hello. I will be at the JVC booth 22037 at 1:00 P.M. on Wednesday and back at the Keyscan booth on friday. I will also be manning other booths in between but It would be nice to meet some of you face to face. My real name is Ronnie Pennington if you all really care. Look forward to meeting some of you next week possibly.

The Keyscan system will except an auxilary input from pretty much anything. As long as the panel ie fire, pa, whatever can give an open or closed alarm we are okay. You can label this alarm what ever you would like in the keyscan system. You would need the Security Command Module for the Keyscan system. With this you can draw your own building layout or import a floor plan in (.DXF?) i.e. autocad file. You would then assign a picture from the menu to the area of the alarm and associate that with the input alarm on the panel. To better explain go to the site below.

http://www.keyscan.ca/SecurityCommand.htm

This should help you quite a bit...

Our school district opted for integrated access and intrusion back in 92 and went with Regency 4724. Now that they no longer have support and we don't want a difficult switchover, I have been evaluating the DSC 4020/4820 combination and for ease of retrofit as well as IP programming through the DLS 2002 software and it looks like the way we will be going (just a few more tests to go through on my benchtop)

Dennis

Use Kantech as you can link this into the Intellex 3.XX via RS232 for true integration.

Also try Janus by grosvenor technologies very stable platform and lets you link remote sites via customers I.T network and has additional software for linking into alarm systems i.e APB to arm system when last person is out of specific area.

While DSC makes there own Access Panel 40/20 main board then you will need 1 door control board for every two doors. they use Kantech keys and readers We love them have around 45 systems installed