Jim Barrett

Aiphone JKS intercoms

I have a client asking about this device & wondered if anybody here has ever used it.

I've worked with other Aiphone products for years but never this video integrated stuff.

Aiphone wants a pair of wires but are specific about their wire. Different insulation, solid, parallel conductors, no twist, 11p/F capacitance, unshielded,4 ohms/1000 ft., etc.

They even go so far as to extend the two year warranty to three years if installed w/ their cable (Aiphone #871802).

Anybody have any experience with this stuff one way or another?

I'm tempted to just use 18/2 & see what happens. If I had to repull the wire it wouldn't be the most expensive lesson I ever learned.

Whaddaya think?

I've used the new Aiphone gear, pretty damn good too.

It is a tricky one cable wise, have installed them using their spec'd cable and also using standard security cable.

At the end of the day, its all about audio and video interferance.......or should I say not getting any.

As you know this will be based on any noise inducted into the cable and how it is run.

On large installs where you have lots of potential interference, its not worth taking the risk. I have used standard security cable on smaller runs with no problems, and everything was continaray cabled up out of the way.

The issue I have with that green shait cable is how difficult it is to use/run when you have a heap of them!

Not very user friendly when it comes to stripping the insulation back either. But great for terminating. That cable will be well design just for that product......well I hope so, hope its not just another "pink Cat5" CBus cable

Use it and have problem free happy customers........and better warranty

I've used the intercoms. They're fine for what they are - little video in a little screen. I think you can also have it output over coax into a video system, I'd have to look, but it seems like you can if I remember correctly.

My experience with Aiphone has been that you can use different cabling, but that their cabling isn't THAT much more expensive. I've done it both ways, but lately (and since using the integrated video) have started just using their cabling. You can do it the other way as well though.

I think Honk probably has a good philosophy on it.. if you're not real worried bout interference, or the 2 year warranty, standard cabling is fine. If either concerns you, go with their cabling.

Right Now i am using JO Series Aiphone with some awesome feature which is necessary for modern age generation,2ndary things is that it's operation control is so easy..

and have lot's of feature 7inch Screen,Hand free communication, Back lite with control Button, White Led illumination,that's why it battery backup is good...

One thing to watch out with Aiphone is when you order and intercom it typically does not come with a power supply and their power supplys are specific to the product. In the last week we have run into a unit that uses 12v AC, 24vAC and 18 Volt AC. As far as wire never any problems if we stuck with the proper sized wire and used shielded or unshielded as called for.