fas

Need Access Control for Apartment Building

I am doing the cctv at an apartment building. They have asked me to also install a proximity entry reader. I don't want to pass it up, but I have never done one before. The building has an old telephone entry system connected to an electric door strike. There is also a keybox attached to the telephone unit which is how tenants gain entry. They insert and turn their key and the doorstrike releases for 5 seconds to let them in. They want to get rid of the keybox and replace it with a proximity reader so tenants can simply swipe a card on their keychain to get in. Their is one main entry, and possibly 3 or 4 other doors they may want to do the same thing to. I am installing a geovision cctv system, but I don't want to use the geovision readers because they are not tested. I want something simple that is easy to program and not super expensive. I have installed biometric time clocks, and they have live audit trail and can be programmed via a pc through a network. I don't need this level of technology, but it would be nice. So what do you recommend? Thanks.

I know this post is old but this is exactly what I've been installing for apartment buildings. For anyone else who might find this useful....

All you need to do in this scenario is run an 18/2 cable from the relay fuze that opens the door to your system. (D - usually Red and the C - Usually Black) Personally I use rosslare since you can manage 100 different systems from one computer in a remote location. But I don't vouch for their tech support, as a matter of fact it sucks. Yet their product is pretty good. If you run into issues with them, you might just have to figure it out alone.

Then run an 18/6 cable for the reader from the panel to the front door, plug it into the network and setup is easy. Just plug in the wires in the system exactly how the diagram shows it and you're good to go. I've managed to setup these systems in 2 hours.

If you have any questions regarding this method, feel free to PM me.

If I were in your shoes

I would find a distributor near you and ask them to assist you in planning and quoting.

They need to be able to offer telephone support in case you get into trouble.

Good luck, hope it works out...