MiamiRob

Are These Monitors Appropriate for a Security Desk

In the lobby of our condo building, there will be two security desks. The desks will be mirror images of each other. Each desk will have five 22" monitors.

-- Monitors one and two will be used for the camera system.

-- Monitor three will be used for the access control system.

-- Monitor four will be connected a general purpose computer.

-- Monitor five will be used to communicate with visitors that arrive at the front gate. We are installing a system that will allow arriving visitors to see\talk with a lobby guard when the visitors' cars pull up to the front gate.

The security company has suggested the following monitor:

HP Smart Buy LE2201W 22" Widescreen LCD

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884469-3949223.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The monitor looks ok to me. However, I've never had to select a monitor for a security desk. I would like to make sure that the monitor is ok before we purchase ten of them. Any comments and \or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Rober

Robert

They look pretty sexy, especially starting at $209! Only thing is, according to the specs page, they're VGA-in *only*, so your "intercom" system would have to either be computer-based, or use some sort of composite-to-VGA adapter to get a signal into it.

Also, for me, I would prefer DVI at that size and resolution (assuming you run them all at native resolution - I certainly wouldn't want it any other way). I have a 22" Viewsonic running at its full 1680x1050, and there's a noticeable clarity and stability to using DVI over VGA. Not a critical thing in your case, but for guards that will be sitting staring at them for 8-hour shifts, it might be nicer.

But again, you can't beat that price (plus free shipping!) for a 22", and they do look great with the thin bezel.

They look pretty sexy, especially starting at $209! Only thing is, according to the specs page, they're VGA-in *only*, so your "intercom" system would have to either be computer-based, or use some sort of composite-to-VGA adapter to get a signal into it.

Matt,

Thank you very much for catching that the monitors are VGA-in only. I totally missed that. I definitely want the monitors to be connected DVI. I will try to find a monitor that accepts both composite and DVI inputs. If such a monitor is not available at a reasonable price, I will find an adaptor.

Rob

You'd have to go to either a TV, or a dedicated CCTV monitor to get composite in... either way, it won't be anywhere near this cheap and still have any level of quality (especially on the composite up-scaling). If you want the monitors to all look the same (so they line up clean and pretty o the desk) you'll need a composite/VGA adapter for the last one.

As a follow-up. the monitors we will use are:

Five HP ZR22w 21.5" monitors for each of the lobby desks.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02000523&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#A0

Link to detailed monitor specifications

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02000657

The monitors support DVI. They cost about $350 which is about $100 more than the original monitors but, in addition to having DVI inputs , the monitors have a higher resolution and are height adjustable.

Thank you for the help on this, Matt.

Rob

I'm just looking, and found that a handful of Dell monitors have composite inputs. They are the digital LCDs, about the 5 year vintage.

I wonder if any of the new models have composite inputs. Would sure beat spend the extra coin on special CCTV monitors...

John