tcssystem

Lock release when fire alarm trigger...

it is common when the fire alarm trigger and it will send the signal to the door access controller then the lock will be release. here is my question:

1. the door doesnt require any reader for in and out. it only has EM lock to lock the door. but when fire alarm trigger and the lock must be release. i was thinking not to use the door access controller. any other device for replacement to the controller?

2. the building has main fire alarm panel console at the control room and also have sub panel at the diff floor. can i link the lock release to the sub panel?? or i must connect direct to the main panel?

thx alot

The answer depends on a lot of things...

First and foremost: in many areas, you have to be properly certified to make ANY changes to the fire alarm system... if you're not, you may want to talk to a local licensed fire-alarm professional.

Regarding the sub-panel: it's impossible for anyone here to know what type of sub-panel it is or how it's wired. It MAY be possible to take your output signal from there, depending on how it's wired. That would be something a proper technician can tell you, ideally someone who originally installed it.

Regarding whether you need to tie into the access control panel: when we need to add a cutoff to an electric lock (either maglock or electric strike) we generally just put a relay in-line with the power to the lock itself. Most will simple use a single pair of wires at 12 or 24VDC or 24VAC. Whether using a mushroom button, a motion detector, or a smoke detector, it's a simple matter to insert a relay in that line, anywhere along the line that's convenient.

As with certifications, exactly how that will depend somewhat on local fire/building/electrical codes, too. When we put a mushroom button or motion sensor to interrupt the lock, it's generally a simple insertion... with a smoke detector, most places we deal with require a latching relay, so that if the alarm is triggered, the door unlocks, and stays unlocked until it's manually reset.

I have worked on ONE site where the maglocks were tied into the fire panel: we were called out because the lock wouldn't activate, and I discovered that the power feed to the lock went through a relay in the fire panel. As it turned out, the fire panel itself was defective, and stuck in an alarm mode, so we had to call in the proper maintenance people for that.

tks for the info..

i really got no idea how the sub-panel work. my job is to install everything and leave the cable at the fire alarm panel and the fire contractor will do the connection to the fire panel.

due to this is a multi-floor building and the main panel is very very far..... every 3 floor of the building consist of a sub-panel. so that "i think" the sub-panel should have the trigger feature output when fire happen and it will send the signal to my controller/relay. anyone know is there any aux output in fire alarm sub-panel?

so that "i think" the sub-panel should have the trigger feature output when fire happen and it will send the signal to my controller/relay. anyone know is there any aux output in fire alarm sub-panel?

Once again, nobody here can know that for sure without at least knowing the make and model of the panel; there are many of them on the market with different capabilities and features. It may not be possible at all for the main panel to send the trigger to the sub-panel, and if it is, the sub-panel may require an additional optional module. The two may not be connected in such a way to make this possible, either.

This is all information your local alarm technician will have to look at for you, as most of it will be specific TO THAT INSTALLATION.

From my knowledge of fire alarm systems most remote panels would have this ability, like you said the fire alarm contractor should complete the work at the panel itself.

Don't let anyone tell you they can connect just to a fire alarm speaker/strobe instead of a remote fire alarm panel.

From my knowledge of fire alarm systems most remote panels would have this ability, like you said the fire alarm contractor should complete the work at the panel itself.

Don't let anyone tell you they can connect just to a fire alarm speaker/strobe instead of a remote fire alarm panel.

This is my main point above: in most places, fire alarm technicians have to be fully trained and certified, and panel maintenance and modifications must be performed by those technicians ONLY.

Imagine the liability if you go into the panel yourself and hook something up, and in the process damage or alter its proper functioning, leading to it not working properly in a fire and someone dying as a result of that.

Just.... don't take the chance. It's not worth it.

Soundy the AHJ might want the control panel and power supply covered by smoke detectors due to it being part of the fire system now also. I would call the AHJ and alarm contractor to make sure all bases are covered.

Most likely you will have to run your access control wire to the main FACP as remote announciators typically do not have an addressable point relay trigger.

I suggest using 16/2 or 18/2 West Penn plenum rated fire alarm wire.

I always run the +cable to the fire alarm panel and then on to the maglock, don't go via anywhere else. Contact the fire alarm company and a qualified technician will run it through a no/nc relay in the panel.

It may sound easy and I'm not saying you couldn't do it yourself, but if there was a fire, and the maglocks failed to release, could you live with that??

Please get the fire alarm company to do it.

Just as easy to put in a egress lock that unlocks when you try to open the door on the exit side. Normally a 15 secound timer then the mag releases.

One last note on all this.

All ways have the fire alarm wire run as close to the power supply that will feed the lock.

Fire wire is supervised and modules. lock power is not.

The power supply power must be shunted by a Supervised Relay. A maximum of 3 feet of unsupervised wire between the relay and the UL power supply.

Basically the Fire alarm people need to mount a supervised relay next to your power supply and you need a fail safe lock.