MasterVision_Tech

Remote Trigger to Release Lock

What solutions have you come up with to accomplish this ? I was trying to find something that worked on an analog phone line and would have a relay on board to release the lock after the right code was entered, but I am having trouble finding such a device. I am open to the idea of a network/internet based solution, but I would like for my user to be able to call a number, enter a code and release the lock. Most of the solutions I've found only work from inside the building and do not allow calls from the outside to trigger the device.

Is someone sitting on gold out there ? What have you used that has been successful for you ?

Back in the day, when I ran a dial-in BBS, I had a high-speed modem that locked up on occasion... had a little box that I could phone into and punch a code to trigger a switched power outlet and cycle power to the modem. Couldn't tell you for the life of me now, what it was called or who made it... let alone whether it's still available outside of a museum. Something like that would do the trick, though - assuming the door is using an electric strike or maglock, just plug the power supply for the lock into the box.

Just googled "remote dial-in power switch" and got a whole buncha stuff that looks promising... give that a try

Here, this might do the trick: http://www.bomara.com/WTI/rps10hd.htm

This looks even better: http://www.remotepowerswitch.com/rps2.htm

The unit uses your telephones touch tone keypad to input information into Registers on the device which tell it how to operate. For instance, in manual mode, if you wanted to simply turn the power OFF and then turn the power back ON you would.

Call into the unit (Default setting is pick up after 15 rings, can also be configured for 3 ring pickup )

The unit responds with a short beep telling you the power in ON

Enter your security code on your telephones keypad which is initially # # 8 8

Enter 010 to turn the power OFF

Enter 011 to turn the power ON

Enter 80 to have the unit hang up

What solutions have you come up with to accomplish this ? I was trying to find something that worked on an analog phone line and would have a relay on board to release the lock after the right code was entered, but I am having trouble finding such a device. I am open to the idea of a network/internet based solution, but I would like for my user to be able to call a number, enter a code and release the lock. Most of the solutions I've found only work from inside the building and do not allow calls from the outside to trigger the device.

Is someone sitting on gold out there ? What have you used that has been successful for you ?

Do Google search for DTMF tone decoders

DTMF-code controlled lock device

and lots more

Alarm industry use similar devices

a GSM simulater will do the job. will control most things by just a phone call (with no charge) from and fixed line or mobile you just store the numbers that need to have accsess into the unit. your customer dials into the unit .. the unit sees your customers number and opens gates/doors/

Thanks Guys. Once again you are on it !

My searches were not turning up anything to promising. Soundy, I like you second link. I may check that out if I can't find out any more information about this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/376743583/GSM_Remote_control_box_Big_power.html

Tom I like your idea also. Even in the alarm industry, we are turning away from using traditional phone lines as everyone moves over to VOIP and cell phones as their primary means of communication. I am really interested to see what else I can find out about the product that I linked above. I like the idea that the device does not answer the phone but instead rejects the call and triggers the relay. It seems as if you could just load a SIM card in and not worry about paying monthly for the minutes if they are never used. Sending a SMS will trigger the second relay...great concept.

Soundy what do you think about it ? and Tom was this device what you were referring to ?

Viking Electronics has just about any telephone interface you could imagine, this one looks like what you would need...http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=343

Thanks Guys. Once again you are on it !

My searches were not turning up anything to promising. Soundy, I like you second link. I may check that out if I can't find out any more information about this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/376743583/GSM_Remote_control_box_Big_power.html

Tom I like your idea also. Even in the alarm industry, we are turning away from using traditional phone lines as everyone moves over to VOIP and cell phones as their primary means of communication. I am really interested to see what else I can find out about the product that I linked above. I like the idea that the device does not answer the phone but instead rejects the call and triggers the relay. It seems as if you could just load a SIM card in and not worry about paying monthly for the minutes if they are never used. Sending a SMS will trigger the second relay...great concept.

Soundy what do you think about it ? and Tom was this device what you were referring to ?

the only problem with buying from the likes of alibaba is you are not buying a licenced GSM device for your country. hence the very cheap price. also if you do go for a GSM option make shure it has a free lifetime sim. or your customer with need to pay just for using the network.

I am using Teledoorbell by Logenex for this application. Works flawlessly all the time!

check Schalage website not sure on spelling I know they make a residential product where you can call a number and lock and unlock a door. We have a customer who lets s into his home that way.