jmorin78

Problem with door releasing when door is wiggled.

Hi everyone.

I had a call today about a door not unlocking. Got out there and replaced the striker which was dead and the fuse. After replacing a tenant asked me if I fixed the problem where the door opens when you pull on it a couple times. So I tested it and it does exactly that. When I pull on it a few times reader turns green and the door release. This is a ge system with hes door strikers. All other doors are working correctly.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

You say you replaced the striker. Is this the electronic HES strike? If it is new, this problem occured with the old and new? Is there a door contact involved in this door setup? Either the strike is bad, the door contact is triggering something goofy at the panel, or the actual door hardware is releasing. What kind of door hardware does it have? Crash bar, 1/4 turn handle, paddle?

Could it be that the exit sensor is too sensitive, and is being tripped by the door moving when it is pulled?

I remember getting the old ultrasonic units to open by blowing up a balloon under the door and letting it go......

Thank you for the quick responses.

I just took a swing by the customer site and asked around and confirmed the this was happening before I replaced the strike.

The hardware on the door is fine . No issues there . Not moving.

This is an hes solenoid type strike.

So I just tried removing power from th exit sensor and the problem still exists. Just tried unplugging the GE reader from the wall and the problem stops. If I plug back in problem returns. I just tried a spare reader and the problem is still there.

I am fairly new to access control and probably just missing something here.

Hmmmm. Quite strange. Does the door have a door contact? If so, this is also still in play. I have a hard time believing that it is the reader on it's own. If it does have a door contact, force the contact into whatever state it should be in when the door is closed by putting a jumper across the terminals in the panel. Now try your door again and see if it goes away. Maybe the door contact even wires to the reader some how. I've never seen that, but then again, I've never had what you are describing either.

I will remote in and check the log today.

The door is just a regular lock and bolt , no electronic parts. Striker releases it.

Horrible part is that this is a brand new building and the reader wiring is behind the wall. No access panel. I was told the readers were put in and there only a tiny hole behind it. Cannot pull the wire out to check the connections. They actually had to rip apart a wall to install a reader in a brand new admin vestibule.

Just thinking....

You said the green light came on the reader. That would lead me to believe that it had a good card read.

Could there be someone with a card walking by the other side of the wall that the reader is catching, or maybe your card is getting close enough?

Wow reading this and I am feeling like duh, I have never seen this before. The reader in most systems only turns during a key read. Can you try to kill the power to the reader via the access board and see if the problem is still there. If not disable via computer, if it still does it try to disable a new item each time. Like the door contact then request to exit till your left with nothing but strike. If is still does it try a diffrent strike like maybe a 1006 hes the smaller hes with strikes I have had some issues with binding and short cycling. Hope this helps

I have removed the power from the reader and the door no longer opens on its own with a wiggle. So now we are cutting a hole in the wall today. Fun fun . I'll post our results. To the other reply, this is a ge m2000

From what I can see, the strike is powered from one of the 8 relays on the control unit. The only way that is going to happen is if the control unit commands the relay to close.

So, reader gets an input and sends it to control unit.

Control unit authorizes it, and tells relay to close and reader to display a green light.

Check the event log and see what is requesting input. It will probably turn out to be a common office gnome. They are known for stealing access cards. They will run through the suspended ceilings and lower the cards on a string through the wall to open the doors.

So, find out what is requesting access, and cancel it.

Davem is your last name Raup? sounds just like something he would say. My Tech support guy.

Sounds like the door contact is connected to the request to exit instead of the door contact terminals.

There should be a Jbox in the ceiling that the reader connects to along with the REX and PIR.