CHoffman

Barcode reader.....not magstripe

This one should be an easy one but Im having some difficulty with it.

I have a customer who is wanting to open a 24 hour fitness facility. They want a single door access control. He is wanting to use the cheapo keytag barcode cards.... like you get from a super store. He mainly wants the cards to be inexpensive to replace...ie. Print his own. I am trying to find an outdoor, weatherproof, barcode reader with a wiegand output.

I have found a few possible candidates, Im just curious if anyone on here has any suggestions, or success/failure stories they can share input on.

The door controller Im using is a BlueWave NetGen ethernet door controller...

THX

RFID cards are a bit expensive but the readers are cheap and weatherproof. He may save money on cards but I would consider charging a deposit on the card. It may not be possible but it will be easier in the long run.

RFID cards are a bit expensive but the readers are cheap and weatherproof. He may save money on cards but I would consider charging a deposit on the card. It may not be possible but it will be easier in the long run.

This sounds like a good idea... the AWID fobs we've been using run about $12-$15, if memory serves, not all that pricey. Or just add $3-4 to everyone's membership fees, should more than make up the difference for the few that don't come back, and be easily passed off as a basic price increase.

Yeah, Im not too keen on the whole "print my own barcodes to save a few bucks" when I can get those HID prox tags for a few bucks a piece. But convincing him.......

I wouldnt even do barcode because somebody will fiqure out that they can be photocopied then somethings going to happen, and you will get stuck dealing with it. Like the other guys

have suggested do something else for your own peace of mind

Another solution would be a printable proximity card. He can have the ID layout printed on the card and at the same time use it for member's access. Of course he needs Fargo printer to be able to print. Initial cost is higher but more secured