bpzle

Gate control via phone

We have 2 gates on a large property, that need to be opened remotley. We'll install doorbell style buttons at both gates, tied into an encoder on an IP camera system that will iin turn take snapshots and send the picture to the property owners... not a big deal done this countless times.

The hard part is the gate control via phone. The VMS solution we will be using does not support i/o control via the mobile app....

Here is a system dedsigned for remote gate control, but it has some drawbacks.

Controller:

http://www.insteon.net/2412N-smartlinc-central-controller.html

Gate appliance:

http://www.smarthome.com/74551/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Garage-Door-Control-Status-Kit/p.aspx

1. Currently I have no idea if the shop (I already installed ptp here for internet/ network) near the gates will be on the same power phase so these things will work.

2. Will have to enclose these things in something since they are designed for indoor use.

3. I would rather not use these powerline communicators,

as I have to burry wire going to the gates from shop for the doorbell buttons anyway. I guess I could just run ethernet out there and mount all 3 devices outside, but that would suck....

Hi Brandon. have you thought about GSM we make are own. good thing about GSM is your customer can open the gates from anywhere. plus it gives more protection. if gates are forced open it sends a text and also if left open

There is a network on site... no need for gsm

would network not limit you to what mobile you can do with a mobile. are you looking to see video while opening gates

There is a network on site... no need for gsm

are you looking to see video while opening gates

Would be nice... but not necessary. Since snapshots will be sent as notification to customers phone, live video not necessary in same application. If they want to see live video could just switch to different app. not sure what you're asking about network? what kind of gsm are you referring to? i guess i was assuming you meant cellular gsm... are you referring to the style of gsm you can dial into and say push "*9" when it answers to open the gate? this could work, but there is no phone line there... would have to go voip back to house which is roughly 4000' feet away

are you referring to the style of gsm you can dial into and say push "*9" when it answers to open the gate?

no. the module just sits at gate (works with 90% of openers) its GSM so you progamme each phone to be used and just push 5 on mobile to open gates. same from house programme a speed dial key on every phone in the house again can be 5 to open gates ..... two gates 1 being 5 the other being 6

180621_1.jpg

cellular. but with no costs.

Hmm, it is a cost involved

in your example ph call cost you nothing, Agree

but you still need SIM card to be Active

meaning it cost few dollars per month

Right ?

hi ak357. with a contract sim then yes you will have a monthly charge.

but with the likes of t-mobile and vodafone. you would use a pay as you go sim card with just $5 on it. as long as the sim always has credit it will always stay active. and since to dial to the GSM will not cost anything (because the call is never answered) it will always stay at $5.

the only time it would cost is if you also use the alarm output (say gates are forced open) then the GSM will send you a text which does have a text charge. but still you would need 100s of texts to use up the $5

hi ak357. with a contract sim then yes you will have a monthly charge.

but with the likes of t-mobile and vodafone. you would use a pay as you go sim card with just $5 on it. as long as the sim always has credit it will always stay active. and since to dial to the GSM will not cost anything (because the call is never answered) it will always stay at $5.

the only time it would cost is if you also use the alarm output (say gates are forced open) then the GSM will send you a text which does have a text charge. but still you would need 100s of texts to use up the $5

Yep,but in North America u have to use your pay as you go Acc at least few times otherwise it will get canceled

but I wiil have to check with local providers more

kinda cool idea

thx for info

In United States prepaid cell service on average (depending on carrier) MUST:

1. Dial out at least once every 90 days or the plan will be terminated

2. Minimum credits must be loaded every 90 days, regardless of balance. Usually in $25 increments.

T-mobile will do a sim ........ remember most sims also have data attached ..... you just need calls.

t-mobile do $10 and its active for 12 months.

t-mobile also do security sims. $5 a month

Dial out at least once every 90 days or the plan will be terminated

the 90 days is if you run out of credit and dont top up in 90 days then sim is terminated.

but were not talking about price or a normal sim. its best talking to your cell provider and ask the price of a security sim. (sims for pir sensor)

the 90 days is if you run out of credit and dont top up in 90 days then sim is terminated.

but were not talking about price or a normal sim. its best talking to your cell provider and ask the price of a security sim. (sims for pir sensor)

I guess idea is very much feasible

we just have to check with local cell providers what is avail

Thx again

In United States prepaid cell service on average (depending on carrier) MUST:

1. Dial out at least once every 90 days or the plan will be terminated

2. Minimum credits must be loaded every 90 days, regardless of balance. Usually in $25 increments.

Yup, that's been my experience. Prepaid cellular service is kinda like a buy here, pay here used car lot: it's usually the most expensive way to buy, and only people who can't purchase any other way (due to lousy credit) will use it.