Sign in to follow this  
wonderke

Cards working/not working on other systems

Hi, I am trying to understand how "card reading" actually works.

And there is an issue I do not completely get:

We have cards (EM 125KhZ) from brand 'A'. When using them on a system from brand 'A', they work pefectly. When using them on a system of brand 'B', they also work.

On the other hand, when wa take a card from brand 'B', they work on the system from brand 'B', but they will not work on the brand 'A' system.

First T thought all had to do with the card numbers, and their factory codes.

But when I wrote an empty card with the same factory code, it did not work.

Even more: I copied the card into a new card, and even the new card did not work, while the original card works perfect.

So my question is now: How is this possible?

It is with your Card Reader Specifications; It is not on their code.

Brand B specifications might be for Multi-card format reader.

Brand A readers specifications might be for (EM Cards Only).

Please verify the model and its specifications.

If my EM-cards-only reader (=reader A) also reads the card from brand B, this means brand B cards are EM cards, no?

Otherwise that reader could not read them.

So if they are EM cards, why do other EM cards (brand A) are not even being read on the brand B reader?

Thank you for the reply and thinking along with this, but I do not completely agree with that it is just a reader specification issue..

If my EM-cards-only reader (=reader A) also reads the card from brand B, this means brand B cards are EM cards, no?

Otherwise that reader could not read them.

So if they are EM cards, why do other EM cards (brand A) are not even being read on the brand B reader?

Thank you for the reply and thinking along with this, but I do not completely agree with that it is just a reader specification issue..

the reader B are programmed to read programmed card.

i have a reader programmed that cannot read other mifare card, unless using my programmed mifare card.

For example, HID Global readers are designed to read HID Global cards, and some other public formats.

AWID cards may only be read with readers that are designed to read that format.

There are also proprietary formats, such as Indala, (Owned by HID Global), Keri, Motorola, Schlage, Allegion, etc.

There are some readers that are designed to read as many different formats as possible, but you would have to find them.