EricTrueView

Access control for automatic sliding doors

Hey all,

I have kind of a weird custom job coming up, and not really sure how to proceed. I have done a lot of intercoms and access control before, but never in this situation. Here we go:

This is for a major hotel, which has automatic sliding glass doors for the front entrance. Doors are activated by motion sensor, and have manual shutoff switch, and manual key lock.

Customer wants doors to be automatically locked at midnight, only to be opened by hotel guests with same keycard they use for their room. (Keycard access for hotel rooms are non-networked, standalone devices). Each card is programmed for each hotel guest, and this same key also needs to access front door.

Customer also wants video intercom with a buzz in system from the front desk for new guest arrivals, vendor drops, etc.

Not really sure how exactly to do this, but what I have theorized so far, is that the hotel key needs to deactivate magnet lock(guessing to use magnet lock to hold the two doors together and closed?), and then activate automatic door motor. Same thing for when intercom buzzes in.

Also need a manual override for the whole system, for nights when there are events in the hotel and they do not want doors locked automatically at midnight.

I don't think a maglock would work, and actually I bet you don't need it at all. You just need two relays. One that turns off the motion sensor and a second to trigger the doors to open. The card swipe would trigger the second relay, and the first relay could be controlled with a simple timer. I would actually go one step farther and make sure the timer is networked so that you can keep the time from floating with NTP.

On top of that, you may want to have a switch at the front desk to trigger the doors for fire or EMT purposes. I don't know, that might be overkill, but it is worth seeing if the owners want that option.

Oh, and make damn sure your relay timer has a battery backup!

Hi. To make your job easier ...... Like ssnappier says forget mag locks otherwise you are looking at two controls to figure out ..... Existing door control and new mag control.

Also with the many types of card locks on the market .... Cut down the work and talk to the hotels room door lock company and see if they do external lock.

Also with it being a major hotel then I would say you need to involve fire alarm company ( doors must unlock on fire alarm)

we did something like this for a hospital and we installed a aiphone video door intercom a person could call on the intercom and the operator could release the door. I think they used a relay on the motion sensing side of the door as it would open if someone wanted out. I know that door had a reader on it and the system was Keyscan but could not tell you all the details. Agree with everyone to avoid mag locks.

We do it all the time.

If the door doesn't have a carriage lock then you have to do a mag lock.

Most of the time you coordinate this with the automatic door vendor.

We put the exterior motion on a digital output with a schedule.

If it isn't a 24/7 365 facility then you have create holidays too.

Valid badge read fires a dry contact relay that activates a TDM (Time Delay Module).

The TDM Relay 1 breaks mag lock power.

The TDM Relay 2 closes dry contact to door motor activation with about a .2 second delay.

It gets really fun when you have ADA buttons in play too. Then the exterior button lands on the TDM input also but it's shunted by the scheduled DO.

The interior button and the release at the desk lands on REX (Request To Exit)

I had to do one with Motorized doors, Von Duprin Concealed Vertical Rods electrified, ADA buttons, and wireless remotes for the severely handicapped.

My favorite is Man Traps or Air Locks with read in read out

Customer wants doors to be automatically locked at midnight, only to be opened by hotel guests with same keycard they use for their room. (Keycard access for hotel rooms are non-networked, standalone devices). Each card is programmed for each hotel guest, and this same key also needs to access front door.

Disregard my comment about using a digital output. You won't have that ability with this system.

http://www.altronix.com/products/product.php?name=AT4

Thanks for all the tips. I definitely need to use a lock, whether mag or electric strike, because the doors can be slid open easily by hand even when the power to the door is shut off, and customer requires a lock.

There is a standard lock on the door, but I have no idea how I would wire it for an electric strike, and allow the wiring to move freely with the door when it opens and closes.

My distributor recommended using Altronix PT724A, but Im not sure if thats going to be enough for the install. The door requires keycard (which I'm using the brand the hotel uses), motion sensor, intercom activation, and manual exit from inside.

I will only need to use the intercom and keycard reader between the hours of midnight and 8 AM. And then I need an easily accessible manual shutoff for the timer so that the hotel management can shut the system down for nights when they have late night events and such so the doors can just open regularly as they would during normal business hours with the motion sensor.

I am still somewhat confused as to how I can get this manual shutoff for the timer and everything, as well as whether I should use a mag lock, or somehow wire an electric strike. I wouldn't do a lock at all but they are requiring it, so Ill have to figure something out.

Can anyone suggest the best timer to use?, or an equipment list of what you would use? Even a drawing for the wiring diagram would be extremely helpful!

The reader is from VingCard, for a 2800 series system, but I am not sure what model it is specifically as they have not ordered one yet. I would imagine its your standard NOC

Hi, There I am going to introduce new access control system lock for hotel guest room, residential and commercial that it works automatically by RFID key card. This electronic cylinder system works automatically. It is generated with a personal unique code number. For further details do the access on the website. http://primesource.me/electronic-cylinders/

check the local fire code as well. All the different schemes to make this work will be out the window if your system does not comply with code. We did several schools and hosiptals and basically no matter how you prevented people from coming in you always had to be able to get out.

Most sliders are break away from the inside. If the Mag locks are connected to the fire alarm and the doors break away you should be good unless they come up with a non fire emergency scenario.