xodid2

One door Access Control Recommendation

Hello,

This will be my first access control installation.

I will be installing one double door mag lock, one prox reader, one exit button and one rex pir.

One of my distributor recommend me "ZKAccess C3 kit", it is IP based. Anyone have experience with this product?

Any recommendation and advice will help. Thank you.

nice thing about the axis is it will handle 2 doors and you can add additional panels software is built in so you can access from a web browser. for small installs it is great and the price is very good.

What about door contact?

The PIR should have a double pole relay in it. Have one side close to trigger request to exit and have the other side open to break mag lock power.

Okay, Door contact as well.

I decided to try out Axis A1001 system.

This unit will be installed at main front double door(metal).

There will be one prox reader outside, door contacts, exit button with timer, rex motion, and 1,200lbs double door mag lock.

Q1. This door already have two door contacts for alarm system. Do I need to install two more door contact for access control?

Q2. If I use PoE injector with this system, If there is power outage, door will be left open. Should I use UPS or dedicated power supply with battery?

Q3. Being this door is main entrance exterior door, Do I need fail secure locks instead of mag lock? if so, whats my option?

Q4. Do I need rex motion and exit button same time? Should I only use exit button? or rex motion only?

I really appreciate your advices, hopefully I learn more about access control system.

I would not use a mag lock for an exterior door. Unless the door is really very well built, you will be able to pull the bottom of the door slightly open with the mag lock at the top of the door.

If you use a mag lock, you WILL need to provide a battery backup power supply for the lock. The Axis controller will not be powering the mag lock. It will only provide the relay switching for the lock.

You will need to provide a door contact if you want to monitor a door forced open or propped open.

A PIR REX is a good idea on the inside of the door to provide easy exit without pushing a button. But I also believe a pushbutton REX is also required in most locations in the event of a controller failure. In rare cases where I have used a mag lock for an external door, I wired a pushbutton REX in line with the mag lock power. That way if the controller failed, you can still get out.

But, if at all possible, do not use a mag lock for an exterior door of a building where the public is going to use that door. Too many things to go wrong.

Thank you for the information. What kind of lock do you recommend instead of mag lock? Can you use electric strike on double door?

This will be a tough door to install anything on. Especially if both doors need to be unlocked at the same time. If one of the doors could remain locked with the upper and lower security pins extended, then a recessed release latch might work. But due to the thin frame of the door, cutting in a recess latch would not be easy.

A dual mag lock wide enough to cover both doors might be the only choice. But I guarantee those flimsy aluminum frame doors will pull out at the bottom with the mag lock engaged at the top of the frame. Enough so that kids will push anything they can find through the opening. Been there, done that.

Okay,

Everything is here and ready to install.

So far what I have figured it out.

Connect Door sensor to Axis panel.

Connect Prox Reader to Axis panel.

Connect Motion REX to Axis panel.

Connect Ethernet to Axis panel.

Connect 24vdc to Axis panel using power supply with battery.

Connect 24vdc power from power supply to Mag loc.

Connect C, NC relay from power supply to Axis panel to control maglock.

Connect Exit button between maglock and power supply.

It seems like motion REX and maglock have connection where you connect door sensor but I just connected to Axis panel.

Also, for door contact I connected parallel to door contact that was already installed for alarm.

Is there anything I'm missing or doing wrong?

check your local fire electrical codes before you start. You may find that you may have to meet special requirements relating to life safety issues depending on the type of usage the building is getting. Might be cheaper to replace the door.

Thank you for advice I will look into that first on next installation since I already finished.

Okay, I finished installation and got 90% working.

REX motion or REX button releases mag lock and I'm able to open the both doors.

But I get "forced open event" when I only open left side of door and of course I get beeps on prox reader.

It works fine on right side door.

Please I need advice to solve this issue.

Thank you.

Do you have a door contact on both doors?

The link I sent for the mag lock had the door contacts built in. The 2 door contacts need to be wired in series.

If the mag lock does not have a built in contact(also called a DSM), you will need to install 1 door contact on each door. You can run a short piece of wire between the two door contacts and wire in series.

Also check with you AHJ, your access panel may need to be tied into the fire alarm panel since you are using mag locks. This means if the fire alarm trips the power for the mag locks will need to drop out. You may need to setup an inspection with the fire department. Don't overlook this step as you can get into deep water if it is not done. Also make sure you used a fail safe lock.

your forced open event is a result of the system not seeing proper credential prior to being opened from the exterior (ie. forced open) or your RTE and PTE are not triggering the ACU to notify it that someone is exiting the building prior to the ACU seeing your contact open. I would say that the audible coming off of your reader is a result of the force open.