tyh

Gate Opener and CCTV Solution over 250m+ Distance

Hi,

We are moving to premises that have an electric gate operated by remote fobs. My boss will be living in a house on-site and would like to be able to see and grant access to visitors remotely from there. The house is quite a distance at 250m away from the gate, with nothing but fields behind (it's a very rural area). In terms of network connectivity, the office is about 20m away from the gate and will likely have the only wired internet connection for the whole premises, although 4g is available with some providers in the area.

What should we be looking at to enable this sort of control?

Thanks

If the gate control is part of a access control system you could put that on the network. and use APs to connect to the house. What type of connection from the building to the gate do you have? Are you getting power from the building to the gate?

Thanks for the reply.

Currently, the gate only gets power from the main building. It's an isolated system that is operated using RF remotes; no controls from within the building or anything like that.

My thoughts were to operate the gate using some sort of ethernet relay. I could connect this and an IP camera to the office network using armoured Cat6a, then run a long length of it all the way up to the house to provide an internet connection as well as CCTV and gate operation. The house could be on a subnet that is separated from the office network with a firewall that only lets the CCTV and gate relay through, as well as internet traffic. The main building is large, so the external cable length can be reduced to around 135m between switches. Still beyond the 100m limit, but a lot better. I've never run cable at these sort of lengths before, so I'm hoping that the packet loss is not prohibitive and that we just get reduced bandwidth. We certainly wouldn't need anywhere near 1Gbps.

Anyway, I suggested the plan to my boss and he seems keener to have the gate operation and camera feed going directly to the house. Are we looking at PoE and an extender in the middle?

Any recommendations for an ethernet gate opener?

Edited by Guest

Hmm, looks like armoured cable is pretty expensive; I guess cable that is rated for external use would do the trick. I wonder if fibre would be a good option.

Hi. You are making it hard for yourself only thinking IP.

Your distance is too long for local network 100m is safe.

Then you have the network connection to gate

Look at a 3mp CVI camera .... Cat5 from house to gate .... Distance is not a problem. Also connect camera to dvr at house and use the onboard relay on dvr to control gates ... By push button and remote from dvr app for android or iOS

you should be able to get cat 5 or 6 direct bury for reasonable price I do not know why you would need armored.

Initially, I was thinking armoured as the cable would likely be exposed. Perhaps it's unnecessary.

Hi. You are making it hard for yourself only thinking IP.

Your distance is too long for local network 100m is safe.

Then you have the network connection to gate

Look at a 3mp CVI camera .... Cat5 from house to gate .... Distance is not a problem. Also connect camera to dvr at house and use the onboard relay on dvr to control gates ... By push button and remote from dvr app for android or iOS

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of CVI before, and I also found TVI in my research. However, from what I've read, neither can go higher than 2mp. Was 3mp a typo?

You mention Cat5 from the house to the gate (200m+), but from what I've read, CVI image quality over Cat5 starts to degrade at as little as 25m out, with shadowing effects and loss of contrast. Is this not as big a problem as it sounds?

Finally, I didn't realise that some DVRs have relays for operating gates and such. That's interesting to know, but wouldn't I also need an additional cable from house to gate in order to do this?

Hi. Cvi ... 2-3 or 4mp ... soon 8mp

As far as distance cvi is good for 1500

Also the one cat5 will feed camera to house plus gate control plus audio.

Tvi has limitations

Tvi has limitations

Interesting, do I just use two pins for audio, two for gate control, and two for video? Or is there a splitter I use that does this for me?

Also, do you have any recommendations for a DVR that would do the job? ie. CVI, audio & gate.

Thanks

Tvi has limitations

I thought the industry had settled on TVI?

I have not heard of CVI yet.

As far as I am aware, your gate brand is one of the most effective security solutions on the market today. It has various revolutionary features that offer several advantages to both business and residential users. You can use Driveway Gate Operator to install their most recent gate opener. The gate opener is a two-way mechanical device that may be opened and closed from up to 250 meters away using a remote control. The gadget is simple to set up and does not require any wiring or energy.