marine

please help set up Swann DVR 8 for internet viewing

I am very frustrated, please HELP! I have set my dvr up to my pc with my linksys router. I can connect to the dvr using my computer but not using a remote computer. I have set up port forwarding like the vague insructions said. when i connect to the dvr remotely am i going to use the dvrs IP or do i have to connect to my router? I am compleatly frustrated, Can someone please help? Again i will say that when i connect using the same computer that is wired through the router along with the dvr everything is fine, its when i use a remote computer through netviewer typing the dvr's IP it says "not responding" Iam using a Linksys router.

Thanks all

I am very frustrated, please HELP! I have set my dvr up to my pc with my linksys router. I can connect to the dvr using my computer but not using a remote computer. I have set up port forwarding like the vague insructions said. when i connect to the dvr remotely am i going to use the dvrs IP or do i have to connect to my router? I am compleatly frustrated, Can someone please help? Again i will say that when i connect using the same computer that is wired through the router along with the dvr everything is fine, its when i use a remote computer through netviewer typing the dvr's IP it says "not responding" Iam using a Linksys router.

Thanks all

Well... as u said... you both a swann dvr, call them for support.

Most likely, you're on dynamic ip plan, and you had not setup any ddns clients. If i am not wrong, you are trying to access remotely over internet using 192.168.x.x ip addresses.

For IP setup, there's no VAGUE instruction. As everyone's using different networking equipments, pc setup, there's never going to be a STEP by STEP details instruction on how to do it. The instruction just tell you what need to be done, and show you example of how to do it. IF you do not understand, that means you are not technical incline to do it yourself. So get professoinal help, or get someone you know with technical know how to do it.

As someone who's trying to earn a living selling cctv system and services, i think it's high time that if you do not know how to do it, get professional services instead of trying to diy. DIY is for ppl who have more technical know how and know how to do it without much assistance.

Imagine a customer who bought a DVR and say he know how to DIY, so dun need to waste $ engaging services, and then call you 8 times a day for the following week for steps by steps guide to connecting, configuration and setup of the system. It's a real case example.

Hi,

Some Internet providers out there DO NOT allow requests on port 80. You will use your external IP address, the one found in the status page of the router to connect remotely.

In other words, when you try to connect to your DVR from a remote location using your external IP address, that "request" is coming into your modem on port 80. This can not be changed. There is a very complicated work around for this which is way beyond the scope of this forum and against most ISP's terms of use policy. Those Internet providers will force you to purchase business class Internet access to allow traffic on port 80.

AS mentioned in the previous reply, those of us that do this for a living see this all the time. When we sell and install a system, this type of network support is included in the price ( our experience, etc. ).

But let's assume your ISP allows port 80 traffic. Have you forwarded port 80 to your DVR IP address?? And, you may need to also forward another port setting as well. All of our DVR's use port 8000.

Our typical set up is as follows using a Linksys Router...

DVR 80 to 80 both 192.168.1.150

DVR2 8000 to 8000 both 192.168.1.150

Make sure you click the "enable" button. Then Save settings.

Hope this helps????

Mike

You sent these 3 emails to me and yet expect help ???

FREE HELP some more ? Go back to where you bought the equipments, and tell them these. See if they'll help you. Not to say you didn't even pay us anything here.

--------------------------

fuck you you mother fucker. If you dont want to offer any help than move on to the next post you stupid ****. Where you located? id love to run in to you ***!

fuck you you mother fucker. If you dont want to offer any help than move on to the next post you stupid ****. I asked for help not some dumb ***es opinion. Where you located? id love to run in to you ***!

come on motherfucker, where you at? Gosh I hope your within driving distance. I guunna tune up that attitude!

Sure. As you request, posting here.

------------------------------------------

Dont need help from dickheads like you ***. this forum says ask questions get answers it didnt say ask questions get a dickheads rant! post this one too ****!

You sent these 3 emails to me and yet expect help ???

LoL. At least you got a reply. I gave a thoughtful response to the same question from him in another thread. Still no reply... 78157_1.gif

Edited by Guest

Thanks again Mike. Just a bit irritated with Daryl733. I came across this website and it said "got questions, We got answers" Than I get a rant by this clown, who wouldnt be pissed? I have done all the port forwarding, and enabled the dvr's ip in DMZ. The problem i am now faced with is obtaining a static ip from my internet dsl provider. The insructions say a static ip is "reccomended" is there another way I can set it up with a dynamic ip? Thanks all

Thanks again Mike. Just a bit irritated with Daryl733. I came across this website and it said "got questions, We got answers" Than I get a rant by this clown, who wouldnt be pissed? I have done all the port forwarding, and enabled the dvr's ip in DMZ. The problem i am now faced with is obtaining a static ip from my internet dsl provider. The insructions say a static ip is "reccomended" is there another way I can set it up with a dynamic ip? Thanks all

If you refer to the manual instruction, it actually teaches you how to register and setup a DDNS account. That's what you need. Btw, I am not a moderator nor own this website. So basically you should ask the moderator for the claim to this website. Not me.

A dynamic IP can be a challenge. But your IP probably does not change that often unless you power off your router when you aren't using it.

There are work arounds for dynamic IP, but I would work on getting remote view working before worrying about it.

From any computer on the same network as the DVR you can check your IP by going to ipchicken.com or whatsmyip.com . That will give you your current public IP address and it should stay the same at least long enough to test your remote viewing.

You said you had the DVR in the DMZ. Unless your ISP is blocking port 80 you should be good to go. there are port scanning services on the 'net. Check it out and see if port 80 is open on your public IP address.

Thanks all

Marine use DYDNS.com use port 8000 for viewing the video feed. Make sure you have the firewall turned off on the modem, let the router do all the filtering and port forwarding. Make sure the only device doing the DDNS updating is the router. Go to this website to ensure that you have the proper ports open https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 . Select user defined port and scan the port you selected, make it 8000. Make sure in host name on the DDNS router settings you input the host address with out http: or www simply your assigned DNS name.com. Also enable remote management on the router. There are tutorials on this website that teach you how to port forward and the basics of networking in an hour or so you'll be on your way.

1) Create an account at DYDNS.COM from the location you are installing the system.

2)Determine what your dynamic external ip is at the site by going to http://whatismyip.com

3)Enter appropriate data in your newly created DYDNS account including IP and DNS name you wish to use for your camera system or other device. (Example myhomecam.homelinux.com)

4) the name will be associated with the ip you put in.

5) set appropriate port forwarding on the router and setup DDNS on the router and your good to go

6) Select a good router example (Linksys WRT54G /GS not the WRT54G, the GS has twice the memory and it wont freeze or quit) use port 8000!

7) Go here to make sure the ports you need are open from the outside https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, make sure all your devices inside the network are configured and plugged in.

I havent had time to try it yet Mike, plan to do it this weekend. Thanks a bunch for the info, i apprecieate your help and expertise. Thanks again for taking the time to help out. I will let you know this weekend how it turns out.

Hi,

Some Internet providers out there DO NOT allow requests on port 80. You will use your external IP address, the one found in the status page of the router to connect remotely.

In other words, when you try to connect to your DVR from a remote location using your external IP address, that "request" is coming into your modem on port 80. This can not be changed. There is a very complicated work around for this which is way beyond the scope of this forum and against most ISP's terms of use policy. Those Internet providers will force you to purchase business class Internet access to allow traffic on port 80.

AS mentioned in the previous reply, those of us that do this for a living see this all the time. When we sell and install a system, this type of network support is included in the price ( our experience, etc. ).

But let's assume your ISP allows port 80 traffic. Have you forwarded port 80 to your DVR IP address?? And, you may need to also forward another port setting as well. All of our DVR's use port 8000.

Our typical set up is as follows using a Linksys Router...

DVR 80 to 80 both 192.168.1.150

DVR2 8000 to 8000 both 192.168.1.150

Make sure you click the "enable" button. Then Save settings.

Hope this helps????

Mike

I am having similar problem as Marine, wwwDOTcanyouseemeDOTorg states that my port 80 is closed, is that the probable cause of the problem? If yes then are there any workarounds for it? Or perhaps is there any other way to check if my port 80 is open or closed? TIA

I purchased the http://www.swann.com/au/swnvk-870824 which come with 8 channels NVR (NVR8-7082) few weeks ago and found that the email alerts and motion detection doesn't work together. When email alerts are enabled, it will work for few hours before the whole system crashes. i.e. Motion detection recording and email alerts stop working until the system is rebooted by removing the power source.

I have already reported this issue to swann first and second level support, who has no solution.

Today I swapped my NVR with a new one from the place of purchase and finds that the new one does the same thing.

Has anyone else come accross this issue with email alerts ?