eric23

AVTECH 761ASV - Email and FTP issues

Hi,

I've just purchased an AVTECH 761ASV from SCT in the UK. I am quite happy with the box so far, and I've been able to quickly put together some simple web pages together (I'm a web developer) with some QuickTime real time streams embedded, which is great. I wasn't expecting to be able to access content over the network so easily. HOWEVER I'm a little concerned that two of the features I purchased it for do not work as they should... Namely the email and FTP.

I was hoping that a number of snapshots from each alarm event would be attached to an email/uploaded to FTP when they happened. However, it seems to be uploading/attaching a HTML file called "Motion_TIMESTAMP.htm" which has absolutely no useful content in it.

Do I need to update my firmware to a later version or something? Surely when they say that it emails/FTPs, they mean that it sends images from alarm events?! This was the way it worked on my AverMedia NV3000 anyway.

Any help or guidance will be very gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

Bit of a shameless bump, but also to add that I have checked in the manual that came with it, and it says in the specification chart:

Remote Alarm Notification: Email images, and upload images to FTP site's specific account

...so I've got to be missing something here. It says it will email/FTP images but all I'm getting is a useless HTML page.

Does anyone find a way send an image by email/FTP? It seems that user manual (AVTECH) lies when it says that it can send images...

Maybe an older version of fw ?!?!? I prefer to downgrade the firmware for that thing (not to say that if I should know this I'll never buy it).

To send an attachement in that way is the stupid thing I met until now. If the DVR are stolen/broken/overwrittten HDD, then the email means nothing. If a thief enters into my house and find the DVR (very easy if he will track cameras cables) the only solution is to find myself(or police) the thief and after that to retrieve the images...

Excuse my bad english

Does anyone find a way send an image by email/FTP? It seems that user manual (AVTECH) lies when it says that it can send images...

Maybe an older version of fw ?!?!? I prefer to downgrade the firmware for that thing (not to say that if I should know this I'll never buy it).

To send an attachement in that way is the stupid thing I met until now. If the DVR are stolen/broken/overwrittten HDD, then the email means nothing. If a thief enters into my house and find the DVR (very easy if he will track cameras cables) the only solution is to find myself(or police) the thief and after that to retrieve the images...

Excuse my bad english

I have never set up email or FTPs

I have seen where the DVR FTP to a wireless laptop that was connected to the local lan.

It would place an icon on to the desktop of the lap top. There were 9 cameras in the bar, and with all of the motion activation it would place a large number of icons on the screen.

All you needed to do was to click on the icon and the viewer included with the Video Server E would play the short video.

Most of the customers who want this feature, are IT technically savy, and they do the setup themselves.

Unless there are portforward issues then I do not know what to tell you.

@scorpion

I'm not speaking about one specific situation (the bar example). There may be much more examples of that kind. Even if this kind of this devices are used in many ways (industrial, traffic) most of common people uses DVR for security reasons. The DVR itself is builted around this ideea: motion detection, alarm trigger, email alarms, external alarm triggers. These entry level of DVRs (in my case is AVC 760) are dedicated to those people who have not the resources to build a proffesional surveillance system. The DVR itself, no matter the level, MUST meet a minimum requirements in the security area and one of these things is to protect the informations. Saving information over the network (if the DVR is capable) must be done by sending email with images, transfer FTP the videos sequences, but not time markers. In fact, this DVR send time markers which can be useless in some (and I think are too many) situations.

On the other hand I'm upset because I bought a device that do not meet the specifications. Quote avtech site: will send alerts with images.

In my country a company who's cheating the clients is against the law! And I hope the law is the same in Asia.

... and no... there are not portforwarding issues; here we talk about emails and FTP transfers which are made on well known ports, in that case you not need the portforwarding. Maybe some remote servers may reject your attachements or ISP provider may filter the traffic but it is not my case and I'm very sure of that.

I have the older 760 with IDE drives, and I have used the email option successfully. It attaches jpeg images to the email.

I have firmware version 2.0.3.0. You can have either FTP, Email or both turned on.

Using Video Server E (you locations will be different for VideoViewer) set your system settings/alarm (trigger for VV). Set Alarm trigger enabled, alarm method as email/FTP, and the number of pics and the alarm duration.

In your network settings make sure you have a valid default gateway.

In your mail settings set up the email server IP address and a return email address. I am using my providers POP3 account and it does not require a password to send, but I must be in their IP address range for it to work. Also put in the email accounts you want show as the "from" address, as well as the ones you want to send it to.

For FTP you will need to setup your server settings as well.

Test your setting using a command window while on the same lan segment as your DVR from a PC.

Here is some help in testing email settings:

Troubleshooting Sending Email Messages

Corrective Actions:

1. Verify you have the following information before you proceed:

* IP address or DNS name of the customer's SMTP Server

* One or more email addresses to which you can send test mails

* An email address to use as the sender (this must be a valid email address defined in the customer's SMTP Server. Make sure you have access to this mailbox, since errors will be reported by mail to this address)

2. Click Start, and select Run.

3. Type cmd and click OK. The Command Prompt window appears.

4. Type telnet and press Enter.

5. Type SET LOCAL_ECHO and press Enter.

6. Verify you can establish TCP/IP communication with the customer's SMTP Server on port 25. Type OPEN 25 and press Enter. For example, type OPEN 172.17.2.14 25.

A "Connecting to" message appears, followed by this window:

If this window does not appear, verify you can ping the SMTP Server.

7. To initiate communication with the server, type HELO and press Enter. The server should reply with "Hello".

8. Type HELP and press Enter to view a list of supported commands.

9. Enter the following sequence of commands to tell the server to send an email message.

a. MAIL FROM:

b. RCPT TO:

c. DATA

d. To: to.address

e. Subject: enter text to describe the message

f. .

g. .

h. .

i. .

The SMTP Server will respond that the message was queued for delivery. Any errors delivering the message will be sent to the "from" address.

10. Type QUIT to terminate the connection to the SMTP Server.

11. Type QUIT again to exit Telnet.

Thank you very much DaveM for your reply but my problem is not to send emails, the problem is to send emails with images attachements. I bought this AVC 760 few month ago from one of resellers of Romania. It is a new one not second hand... Maybe it is a model with a new firmware because I cannot connect to it with Video Server E (I tried few versions from scorpion site) but only with VideoViewer which is on the CD that came with dvr. I have installed 3 versions (the last is 0.1.0.7) of software VV but none have the magical option number of pics as I have seen on other documentation for older models.

I repeat: sending emails works fine, attachement is a problem here.

... and it is not a network problem.

and I still have exactly the same problem...

This is really a firmware problem, just a matter of an option concerning the attachments which is not activated...

so it would be very nice if somebody can provide me with a working firmware... Avtech moves all support and responsibility to the distributors and 99% of the distributors are just box-movers and don't have a clue what they are talking about...

And I am not talking about scorpion, just to name one. But it would be nice if we can set up an arrangement to have a working firmware... javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Thank you very much DaveM for your reply but my problem is not to send emails, the problem is to send emails with images attachements. I bought this AVC 760 few month ago from one of resellers of Romania. It is a new one not second hand... Maybe it is a model with a new firmware because I cannot connect to it with Video Server E (I tried few versions from scorpion site) but only with VideoViewer which is on the CD that came with dvr. I have installed 3 versions (the last is 0.1.0.7) of software VV but none have the magical option number of pics as I have seen on other documentation for older models.

I repeat: sending emails works fine, attachement is a problem here.

... and it is not a network problem.

I can comfirm that with the Avtech 761 FTP does not seem to be working.

I have tried using an online ftp provider drivehq dot com and to my own IIS ftp server on the lan.

I am using firmware 1241-1012-1033-1018-M3-0000

For the internal FTP server obviously there are no firewall or port forwarding issues. Being new to CCTV and linux boxes. I am unsure of how to proceed in troubleshooting this matter. I'm comfortable with networking, firewalls, ftp protocals, etc, but CCTV is a new product line for us and would be grateful for any suggestions on where to go from here.

Steve

I am going ask that you post the settings for FTP. Not that I can help, but perhaps I can find a common denominator as I ask around others to see how they have theirs working.

What do you think?

I can PM you if you need your information not to be placed on a public forum.

if you send some more details about your ftp config, may be I can be of some help...

I had no issues with mails and/or ftp itself... but still no images are transfered with the empty html-page transferred to mail/ftp...

I can comfirm that with the Avtech 761 FTP does not seem to be working.

I have tried using an online ftp provider drivehq dot com and to my own IIS ftp server on the lan.

I am using firmware 1241-1012-1033-1018-M3-0000

For the internal FTP server obviously there are no firewall or port forwarding issues. Being new to CCTV and linux boxes. I am unsure of how to proceed in troubleshooting this matter. I'm comfortable with networking, firewalls, ftp protocals, etc, but CCTV is a new product line for us and would be grateful for any suggestions on where to go from here.

Steve

ok, my first try in my quest to solve the image attachment problem with both ftp and email...

I have AVC 761ASV with firmware 1227-1012-1032-1018-M3-6C1B.

First I tried CPD5601_AVC7601_2030, but this failed. I used a combination of experience AND the advice of scorpion not doing a hardware reset in case of failure, and tried another version: AVC761ASV_1238.

This succeeded and results now in 1238-1012-1033-1018-M3-6C1B.

Had to re-configure of course, but it works... BUT I still have the same problem: still sending empty html-forms to mail/ftp without any images attached... I am using Video Viewer 0.0.9.9...

so now I would like to know...

The Avtech 761 ASV is the "biggest" model of the 761, but apparently I cannot apply CPD5601_AVC7601_2030. Should I try an older version of this firmware?

Additionally, I don't see any logic in the number of files and the filenames... all ending in bin, but sometimes 1 file (my backup), sometimes 2 files (the one that succeeded) and sometimes 4 files (the one that did not work)...

As I am fooling around with my operational VCR, I do 1 step at the time and try to gather as much as possible information before my next step...

next steps: trying to combine with other versions of Video server E and/or Video viewer.... when this does not give a solution, I will try some other firmware versions...

ok, my first try in my quest to solve the image attachment problem with both ftp and email...

I have AVC 761ASV with firmware 1227-1012-1032-1018-M3-6C1B.

First I tried CPD5601_AVC7601_2030, but this failed. I used a combination of experience AND the advice of scorpion not doing a hardware reset in case of failure, and tried another version: AVC761ASV_1238.

This succeeded and results now in 1238-1012-1033-1018-M3-6C1B.

Had to re-configure of course, but it works... BUT I still have the same problem: still sending empty html-forms to mail/ftp without any images attached... I am using Video Viewer 0.0.9.9...

so now I would like to know...

The Avtech 761 ASV is the "biggest" model of the 761, but apparently I cannot apply CPD5601_AVC7601_2030. Should I try an older version of this firmware?

Additionally, I don't see any logic in the number of files and the filenames... all ending in bin, but sometimes 1 file (my backup), sometimes 2 files (the one that succeeded) and sometimes 4 files (the one that did not work)...

As I am fooling around with my operational VCR, I do 1 step at the time and try to gather as much as possible information before my next step...

next steps: trying to combine with other versions of Video server E and/or Video viewer.... when this does not give a solution, I will try some other firmware versions...

This is not an answer for Dizzy. I am more talking to myself to hear me think!

Here is my problem! I cannot experiment with my customers DVRs as I do not want to buy one. I would like to collect working DVRs and then do some experimenting.

I can tell you that on a newer DVR that uses Video Viewer you cannot use the firmware CPD5601_AVC7601_2030. This does not have the A in the the model number. This would be the original DVR that uses Video Server E.

Please note that you cannot use Video Server E on the new model DVRs that use Video Viewer.

The Video Viewer will work on older DVR that use Video Server E, and it does not matter about the model number.

The only problem with Video Viewer is the DVR account holder not being an admin level. You will see options faded out.

When it comes to firmware then the only reason one is told to use blah blah version only is that it may be for a model so that the model name comes up on power on. Such as CPCam has different firmware so that they say CPCam on power on.

Eclipse cctv has theirs with Nubix with power on ect.

I do not know if you can install the A series firmware in to the older DVRs. Would there be some rom features that have to be updated, or would you have to put A series chips in to it as well? I do not know, but that would not surprise me if this was so.

I do not think a new firmware is going to completely reprogram an older DVR. I would love to try it just for giggles!

If you have an older DVR, and you want to experiment, and resolve me of all issues then I will be more than glad to get a firmware to you.

Just do not do a hardware reset what ever you do! A bad firmware will be stuck, and the DVR becomes a boat anchor!

If that happens then donate your DVR to my graveyard!

Thank you everyone for helping out!

It is greatly appreciated!

Now I wish I could get on AVTech's payroll!!! LOL!

I can confirm that you cannot use Video Server E on the new model DVRs, so mine, that use Video Viewer. I tried different versions of Video Server E and it simply doesn't work.

However, using Video Viewer gives me the possibility to change the configuration (with the exception of the Alarm-option not existing in the menu) so I am not sure about the logic around the admin-account not having it's level used through Video Viewer... but a part of it could explain the fact that I don't see the Alarm option...

So, then my next logical step is finding a recent version of the Video Viewer or an alternative... What bothers me is that in the onscreen menu, this option is not displayed also.

And Scorpion, don't push me to hard in crash-testing of my DVR, I know you would like to have test-dummies! javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Managed to get 761 to sent data to my internal server by using IP address of server rather than servername. I suspect this could possibly be a Windows Server/DNS/Linux issue.

Managed to get the 761 sending data to my external FTP host (driveHQ) by adding a / before the directory.

Okay now have some basic communication between AVC 761 and FTP servers but when I check the directory all I have is a collection of time stamped htm files named Motion_20090217123643.htm etc. Opening one of these files gives me a webpage that has Name, Password, Channel, Start time, end time and then the common play pause, etc. controls. No video files or .jpg files are uploaded and so basically I could just have easiliy viewed the event log via the usual browser interface.

This brings us back to Eric23's original gripe. The whole point of FTP is to have images available off site in case the unit itself is damaged/ stolen. This is a big problem for me because in all other respects the AVC 761 is a great piece of kit for the money but with a key advertised feature missing.

so you have arrived where I was a couple of months ago! javascript:emoticon('8)')

and to ease up your path in finding a solution:

- don't swap the unit with a new one, because it doesn't help

- don't upgrade your firmware, because at this moment it doesn't seem to help either

to confirm this: Can you let me know your firmware version? Thanks!

I think we have to focus on the client-software, as such Video Viewer. Who has a later version then 0.0.9.9?

Managed to get 761 to sent data to my internal server by using IP address of server rather than servername. I suspect this could possibly be a Windows Server/DNS/Linux issue.

Managed to get the 761 sending data to my external FTP host (driveHQ) by adding a / before the directory.

Okay now have some basic communication between AVC 761 and FTP servers but when I check the directory all I have is a collection of time stamped htm files named Motion_20090217123643.htm etc. Opening one of these files gives me a webpage that has Name, Password, Channel, Start time, end time and then the common play pause, etc. controls. No video files or .jpg files are uploaded and so basically I could just have easiliy viewed the event log via the usual browser interface.

This brings us back to Eric23's original gripe. The whole point of FTP is to have images available off site in case the unit itself is damaged/ stolen. This is a big problem for me because in all other respects the AVC 761 is a great piece of kit for the money but with a key advertised feature missing.

Hi Dizzy,

My Video Viewer app install file is labelled VideoViewer_Setup_M0106.exe so maybe 0.1.0.6 is the version? But I don't really have any problems with the client software (except for the EagleEyes for Win CE New app).

Firmware version is reported as 1241-1012-1033-1018-M3-6C1B

I can't see the client side software really helping on this one as the image upload functionality can only be provided by the firmware. The fact that Avtech can't provide any support or firmware upgrades for a specified feature is pathetic. I really like this DVR and was set to feature it as the basis for our main entry level offering but as ftp is useless I'll have to look to another model. Any reccomendations would be welcome.

Steve

- As you can see in other posts, people with an older DVR (Avtech 760,...) have the functionality...

- the Email/Ftp engine works on the 761

- configuration of the images is triggered in the client-software, not in the Onscreen menu

- so you just don't have the possibility to activate it, but the functionality is there...

so you have a television without a remote control. A lot of options you can not use without your remote control...

you see my point?

Can I have a copy of your video viewer?

tnx,

Dizzy

Hi Dizzy,

My Video Viewer app install file is labelled VideoViewer_Setup_M0106.exe so maybe 0.1.0.6 is the version? But I don't really have any problems with the client software (except for the EagleEyes for Win CE New app).

Firmware version is reported as 1241-1012-1033-1018-M3-6C1B

I can't see the client side software really helping on this one as the image upload functionality can only be provided by the firmware. The fact that Avtech can't provide any support or firmware upgrades for a specified feature is pathetic. I really like this DVR and was set to feature it as the basis for our main entry level offering but as ftp is useless I'll have to look to another model. Any reccomendations would be welcome.

Steve

This link is from original CD:

www dot surveillance-download dot com/user/setup.exe

and is VideoViewer version 1.0.7.0

It seems that the new models of AVC760/761 has a firmware of type: App_img4.bin and the older ones has a firmware consisting of 4-5 files:kernel.bin, html.bin ....

The question is: the new firmware is compiled in another form (1 file) or is it rewritten? Because if it is rewritten we may not find this functionality on new version.

Hi Dizzy,

I see the problem slightly differently in so much as the fuctionality is there but it is the wrong functionality, what we currently have is:

Event Triggers FTP alert.

HTM page is generated with DVR access parameters and timestamp of event for remote viewing.

FTP engine transfers HTM page to server.

Whereas what we need is:

Event Triggers FTP alert.

JPG image(s) generated of alert event.

FTP engine transfers JPG page to server.

My guess is that the JPG image creation part is not included in current firmware rather than it being a hidden or dormant function. I don't think it would be a big deal for AVERTECH to cook a new ROM replacing the HTM creation with the .JPG creation, in fact it would probably be simpler than the original coding of the HTM routine.

If the current function is due to the programmers getting too carried away without understanding the underlying reasons for an FTP requirement then there is a chance we might see an updated ROM addressing this in the future, however if uploading of images was omitted because of technical or design issues there will be nothing that can be done about it.

MoshPuiu's link to VideoViewer is where I got my copy.

Steve

Hey MoshPuiu,

Do you know of any versions of AVC761 which have successfully been able to transmit FTP? Is 760 same hardware as 761 minus the USB port or do they have different firmware? I was wondering if I it would be possible to downgrade the 761 using 760 firmware and lose USB support but regain image FTP functionality though I suspect this is just wishful thinking!

Steve

This link is from original CD:

www dot surveillance-download dot com/user/setup.exe

and is VideoViewer version 1.0.7.0

It seems that the new models of AVC760/761 has a firmware of type: App_img4.bin and the older ones has a firmware consisting of 4-5 files:kernel.bin, html.bin ....

The question is: the new firmware is compiled in another form (1 file) or is it rewritten? Because if it is rewritten we may not find this functionality on new version.

Hey MoshPuiu,

Do you know of any versions of AVC761 which have successfully been able to transmit FTP? Is 760 same hardware as 761 minus the USB port or do they have different firmware? I was wondering if I it would be possible to downgrade the 761 using 760 firmware and lose USB support but regain image FTP functionality though I suspect this is just wishful thinking!

Steve

I get lost in these posts:

Is the AVC761 (video server E) or

AVC761A (video viewer)?

Is the 760 (video server E) or

760A (video viewer)

????

You cannot take a firmware from a video viewer model, and install it in to a video server e model.

The boards are different.

Mine is an AVC761 ASV, so a video viewer model...

Hey MoshPuiu,

Steve

I get lost in these posts:

Is the AVC761 (video server E) or

AVC761A (video viewer)?

Is the 760 (video server E) or

760A (video viewer)

????

You cannot take a firmware from a video viewer model, and install it in to a video server e model.

The boards are different.

Now I can see clearly!

Thanks!

I wish we could put the new firmware in to an older model DVR, and bring it up to date.