embedded_tom

"Anti-dither" explained

I've got an Intellicam JS-8RTA-D1 (from ShoreView Security) that I really like (my first NVR!). I've been playing with it for some time now, and one of the things I'm trying to do is to eliminate false motion detection from lighting changes, like clouds passing overhead.

I came across a setting called "Anti-dither" in the motion detection setup screen, but there's not any description of how to use it in the manual. I've emailed Intellicam for help, but so far no reply.

Does anyone know what this is and how to set it up? I'm an electronics engineer by profession, so I know the term, but I'm not sure how they use it with respect to DVR's.

Thanks.

Tom

Tom, did you send Mike at Shoreview an email and ask him? He always gets back to you and is very knowledgeable.

That's the first thing I did. Here's his answer:

"Actually nothing and it will delay the DVR from recording if it is set for

motion on that channel. It's supposed to act as a noise reduction but does

have an affect on the motion settings. If you were to set it to 5 and

motion came into that channel, you would see a delay in recording or may

not record at all."

I was hoping it was a filter and that I could eliminate the sunshine/cloud effect. I've got a channel with it set to 2 to see if it helps. The range is from 0 to 600 seconds. I can't imagine filtering for 10 minutes!

Tom

Tom, did you send Mike at Shoreview an email and ask him? He always gets back to you and is very knowledgeable.

That's the first thing I did. Here's his answer:

"Actually nothing and it will delay the DVR from recording if it is set for

motion on that channel. It's supposed to act as a noise reduction but does

have an affect on the motion settings. If you were to set it to 5 and

motion came into that channel, you would see a delay in recording or may

not record at all."

I was hoping it was a filter and that I could eliminate the sunshine/cloud effect. I've got a channel with it set to 2 to see if it helps. The range is from 0 to 600 seconds. I can't imagine filtering for 10 minutes!

Tom

You would never filter for 10 minutes so the answer is not accurate. I was researching this setting as well and from the IC Realtime forum they said it was designed to minimize the number of motion detection event within a given time period (in case there was too many triggered events for a given camera). So 5 seconds is the minimum and up to 10 minutes. Whatever setting value is chosen is the amount of time during which only one motion detection even will be allowed.

This is not Crystal clear to me

;-(

Motion detection, if you take recording, detects a motion then starts a recording for a specified period of time, for example 2 minutes of recording after the motion has been detected.

So someone passes in the picture, it detects the motions and create a 2 minutes record video file as from the moment motion was detected ...

Now this anti-dither parameter .... I do not see how it impacts this 2 minutes recording ...

Is is that if the anti-dither is set to 5 seconds, the motion need to be there for 5 seconds before it starts recording ?

Or it it Something to be with the fact that if another person triggers motion 110 seconds after the first detected motion, then It will record a second clip or not depending on the anti-dither parameter ?

I am asking the question because I feel like I miss some recording based on motion detection for example if there is a first trigger, starts video clip for 2 minutes, but then another trigger after 115 seconds afer the first motion ... where the second video clip will not start because second motion was detected within the first video clip timeframe ?

Any advise ?

If anti dither is set to 10 any motion in that 10 sec. is one event for the recording time allotted. If after 20 sec. into the recording it detects motion again that's another event and will record for the allotted time. Helpful if you have it setup for alarm or snapshots based on motion. Minimizes the number of events created but shouldn't delay recording.