Server upgrade postponed

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Any other way to install webrec.cab??
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:16 am 

Rory,
I was able run webrec on Windows 7 on my home PC fine, but my work PC running XP was locked down. Even though I had local admin rights the policies wouldn't allow it to install because the active X was unsigned. I worked around that as shown in previous posts. The later versions of webrec.cab with files dated in 2009 do appear to be signed, one by Dahua, and one by Software Tools.
I've been able to get around the security by finding the webrec.cab file in my temporary internet directory before I close out the IE window and copy it somewhere else. Then I can right click, go to properties, view digital signatures, and choose to view the certificate. I have a button to install the certificate, and if I choose to install it in the trusted root root certificate store then after closing IE it will install OK the next time I go to the DVR.
You can also export the certificate from another more open PC from details/copy to file then take it to the problem PC and import it.
This does compromise the PC security a bit in that you are now trusting any active X written by the owner of that certificate.
I do like the tip about making a jump drive with PSS on it.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 pm 

Good to know that, another way around it :)
Also you can download unsigned activeX controls just change that setting in the security settings from disabled to prompt.

When I get a chance, maybe tonight, I will do a write up about how to hack the PSS software (legally). There are a few hidden fields which are not in the config but are in the ini file. Also I will explain how to make the skin folder go from 60MB to 20MB as in the latest version 4.04, never having to login or use a password to exit, all without the software crashing. BTW 4.04 has a time line now on the playback with multiple cameras, works okay, although it could use some improvement still. Also instead of having to add each camera for multi playback there is a hidden check box that ads all cameras. There is also a way to make the actual GUI faster and that is part of the skins but also by removing a few resources such as the icons that are seen on each video window, that makes say 36 or 64 multi view load much faster - yes 4.04 has 64 way multiview now.

Im actually working with the SDK for my own custom software and thats what I generally use to view live video, even compiled some for a client today, but for playback and config I use PSS.

Another thing, when encoding is set to D1 the remote video from these DVRs is really high quality compared to some others. If you have a really slow connection, as do my clients, the video can seem to hang or just be very slow, setting any of the PSS quality or fluency settings makes little difference, same with the SDK. BUT, if you setup the substream on the DVR (under encoding) to CIF on all the channels, even if you uncheck the video box for it, we can still connect to that stream which is good enough for remote video and makes the world of difference on a slow connection. Inside PSS just right click on the camera under the device you want to view and click Extra Stream and it will stream from that instead. Im adding it as a feature in my own software as simply high quality (main stream) and low quality (substream). If using the SDK it is type 3 of the RealPlayEX function. On a DVR I was trying to connect to last night, I could barely play 4 cameras, when I changed over to the substream I was able to now view all 8 like its on the local network and the quality is still good (enough). There may be some other settings like network bandwidth etc but I havent found those yet (in the SDK). There are some network settings in the PSS config file but I havent fully tested it yet to say whether that makes a difference.

On a different topic but related to these DVRs, on the local DVR itself, I have found that in 9 way view there is some strange video issues like the video is vibrating or something, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing that, with the 16 channel DVRs? I noticed it on another 16 channel but just put it down to the monitor, but now Im using a couple different PC LCDs and its still doing it. I guess its time to post on Dahua's site and see what they come back with, or get a firmware update and see if that fixes it. Major flaw if you ask me, since most will be viewing in 4 or 9 way since 16 can be very small on even a 19" wide screen LCD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:56 pm 

rory wrote:
Good to know that, another way around it :)
Also you can download unsigned activeX controls just change that setting in the security settings from disabled to prompt.

Without a doubt changing the security settings is the easiest way to do it. On large corporate networks when you log into their domain they can push "policies" down to all the member computers that limit what can be done on them. On my work laptop one of the policies grays out the security settings tab so I'm stuck with them the way the company wants them, even if I log on as a local administrator.

I'm looking forward to your PSS info. I didn't know you could do all that with it.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 am 

Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection - trying to playback remotely crashes PSS and locks up the DVR's network for a while, they are stuck with local playback until they get a better connection. This has limit of up to 16 way view, full screen, PSS device and user settings, auto login, and logout only requires clicking ok, and remembers last screen setting. No video window buttons so it loads quicker between multi views and full screen etc, can just logout to close all or use CTL-R to make a snapshot of a video window. This one geared towards a netbook or other slow computer.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please sign-in or register to view or download.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:29 pm 

rory wrote:
Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection - trying to playback remotely crashes PSS and locks up the DVR's network for a while, they are stuck with local playback until they get a better connection. This has limit of up to 16 way view, full screen, PSS device and user settings, auto login, and logout only requires clicking ok, and remembers last screen setting. No video window buttons so it loads quicker between multi views and full screen etc, can just logout to close all or use CTL-R to make a snapshot of a video window. This one geared towards a netbook or other slow computer.

Where can I download this version and how do I install it?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm 

Hello everyone, after banging my head against the wall with lots of PC's with IE10 and it not letting it use the webrec.cab install.. or more so that it rejects it because it has no certificate... which by the way Q-See, you need to fix this and provide firmware updates to all your DVR units! --- I downloaded the webrec.cab myself, extracted it, wrote an install read me, and put it out on my web server for you..

http://slfarms.us/misc/WebrecForqsee.zip

From the read me I put in the zip file:

" Go into the webrec folder, right click on webrec.inf --> then select install
- From this point on Internet Explorer should play from the q-see DVR. "

After you do this, it will pull up just fine in IE on your machine. I can't believe what a pain this was before I figured out who to just download the cab, extract it, then install manually. Come on Q-See. Fix this. Since Microsloth went overboard with their security this is unusable to so many people. Hope this helps everyone out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:40 pm 

Have you tried:
1a. Put the address of the DVR in the "trusted sites" list of IE
or
1b. Change settings for "Download Unsigned ActiveX" and "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting" to "prompt"?

2. Run IE with admin rights...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:49 pm 

dexterash wrote:
Have you tried:
1a. Put the address of the DVR in the "trusted sites" list of IE
or
1b. Change settings for "Download Unsigned ActiveX" and "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting" to "prompt"?
2. Run IE with admin rights...
Yup. Tried them all. Hit and miss. Worked on one machine, not on 5 others. Got tired of the trouble and just researched how to install it dedicated so there is no future annoyance. IE 10.0.2 is so protective. I wish Q-See (Dahua) made a signed version of the driver, or better yet, had a HTML5 interface or full plugin for Firefox/Chrome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm 

rory wrote:
Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection ...snip...
Cool Rory, can we get a copy once you have it ready? I think I could use this for a couple of my clients. Navigating PSS is too difficult for them. I'd love something I could run (perhaps with command line arguments?) or simple presets that would allow them to pull it right up with no login and extra stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm 

AaronHolio wrote:
Yup. Tried them all. Hit and miss. Worked on one machine, not on 5 others. Got tired of the trouble and just researched how to install it dedicated so there is no future annoyance. IE 10.0.2 is so protective. I wish Q-See (Dahua) made a signed version of the driver, or better yet, had a HTML5 interface or full plugin for Firefox/Chrome.

Well we have tested the unsigned version on latest IE and Windows 8 too... Works, but needs to pay attention.

HTML5 requires special compression, encoding in a format that is not natively supported by the hardware

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 pm 

dexterash wrote:
AaronHolio wrote:
Well we have tested the unsigned version on latest IE and Windows 8 too... Works, but needs to pay attention.
HTML5 requires special compression, encoding in a format that is not natively supported by the hardware

Strange. I turned off the ActiveX blocking, turned security down all the way, added as a safe site, and only 1 out of 6 machines accepted the change permanently. But now I don't have to worry, I have it installed permanently for now.

Re the HTML5 - True I should have thought of that. I tend to get a little ahead of trends. I realize that would be pretty difficult for an OEM to already be fully supporting something so new.

Any thoughts on getting other browsers to not try using the Quicktime plugin? I did some research to try to get VLC and other mp4 players to grab the MIME type, but never figured it out. For some odd reason, for the 3 systems I have running that I try to connect to with Chrome/FF - Quicktime rarely works. Kind of gets stuck in a [logo] dot dot dot dot trying to load screen and doesn't come up. I'd love it if I could get a different player to embed and take care of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 pm 

QT is only for cameras (as in input devices), not for NVRs (as in decoding/playback devices).
QT uses RTSP which is rather buggy.... You might have a beta firmware, too

Latest firmwares solves the RTSP bug..,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:43 am 

dexterash wrote:
QT is only for cameras (as in input devices), not for NVRs (as in decoding/playback devices).
QT uses RTSP which is rather buggy.... You might have a beta firmware, too
Latest firmwares solves the RTSP bug..,

I have the latest firmware on the QC448 DVR and what shipped with my QC804 NVR (Q-See said there was no new update yet).
I am not accessing the cameras directly, only via web browser direct to the DVR and NVR. So in Firefox and Chrome, it wants to use Quicktime, which results in no video streaming.

I tried several tips and tricks on the web to try to direct chrome and firefox to VLC. But couldn't get any results. Including changing control panel -> programs -> default programs -> set associations .rtp and .rtsp (and several other streaming types) to point from quicktime to VLC.

Works in IE of course, but as I reported before since IE10.x, the webrec.cab is causing the browser to crash now and then. Worked fine before. I sure hope webrec.cab plugin is getting a complete upgrade for all the models at some point. It sure has its problems (and would be nice if it was signed too).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 am 

Aaron, Rory hasn't posted here in a long time. I'm not sure why he left but you can most likely get in touch with him on his own site if you want. I don't know if he got hit with the ban hammer or left on his own. PM me if you want.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 am 

Kawboy12R wrote:
Aaron, Rory hasn't posted here in a long time. I'm not sure why he left but you can most likely get in touch with him on his own site if you want. I don't know if he got hit with the ban hammer or left on his own. PM me if you want.
Oh boy, I came into this thread searching for troubles with the Active X control and never even looked at the post date! Thank you. I PM'ed you.

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next