tondar

Any other way to install webrec.cab??

I just recieved a new computer from work. I go on a lot of business trips which is why I bought the DVR system in the first place. To access the DVR from the internet requires you to install an ActiveX program called webrec.cab, this happens the first time you access the DVR (i.e. the install is automatic). With my old computer I could change the internet security settings to allow the installation of this program. My new computer does not allow me to install this because of some publisher verification check. I can not change the internet security settings and can not access GPEDIT.MSC

So my question is there any way around this? some other way to install this?

Thanx

Tony

You didn't say which DVR your using, but my Intellicam JS-RTA-D1 DVR used Webrec.cab for remote viewing using IE. I had the same issue, the company PC had security policies that prevented the auto-install of the program. The good news is that it was possible to manually install the .cab file.

First off, for the RTA-D1, the latest firmware (April 2009 I believe) really works much better than the older firmware. The webrec.cab is embedded in the firmware.

The .cab file is a compressed file with the program in it. If you already have the file, you are good to go. If not, go to the DVR web page and the download should start. When you get the error message you will need to go look for the file, it will probably be in your temporary internet files. Windows search often won't look in these hidden directories, so you will have to find it on your own. It might be called something like webrec[1].cab. Sometimes IE will delete these temporary files, so I found I had the best luck searching before acknowledging the error and before closing out IE.

Once you have found the file copy it someplace safe. Depending on your Windows version you can double click to open it, or use WinRar to open the archive. There will be a file called webrec.inf in the archive. Just right click and choose to install and you should be good to go.

The other option was to use the client software, but the web client seemed to work better for me.

Dave

Note: edit to fix DVR type. I replaced my ICRealtime DVR with an Intellicam JS-RTA-D1 and I had the software confused. The install steps were correct.

Hey DaveM,

Thanks so much for the information. I too have an intellicam (SV-XLA 8 channel I bought in early 2009) Although I think the SV stands for ShoreView security. I have never updated the firmware. I had never used the client software (Enterprise Professional Surveillance Software) but started due to not being able to get the web utility installed. The client software is pretty bad, terribly unfriendly and sometimes just gives me wierd errors written in the worst Engrish ever . I will try the procedure you've written and see what happens.

How can I find out if a firmware update exists? How difficult is it to install and will it require me to re-setup the system again?

Thanks for all the help

Tony

I bought mine from Shoreview as well. I called Intellicam support directly and let them know that my dealer appears to have gone out of business. They were very helpful and sent me the new firmware. It addressed several issues including email delivery and DNS as well as helping with some bad recordings.

The good news is that I was told I would keep all my settings but loose all my old recordings, but the recordings were still there after the upgrade.

The bad news is things were still a little flaky, so I did a factory default and a hard disk reformat and it seems to have fixed everything. It was a pain putting it all back in but was worth it.

I'm running version 3.606.0000.0.P dated 2009-04-01.

do you know the website and/or number for Intellicam? It seems they renamed themselves GenIV Technology?!?!?!

Also for installing the webrec.cab does it matter if IE is open or not or just go to windows explorer open the cab with winzip and click on the .inf file and go?

Does the new firmware give any more flexibility with motion detection? That's my biggest complaint.

Thanx

do you know the website and/or number for Intellicam? It seems they renamed themselves GenIV Technology?!?!?!

That's the same people. http://www.genivtechnology.com/

1-800-814-4364

Also for installing the webrec.cab does it matter if IE is open or not or just go to windows explorer open the cab with winzip and click on the .inf file and go?

When I did it I had IE closed. It shouldn't really matter. I suggest copying the files to a folder before starting.

Does the new firmware give any more flexibility with motion detection? That's my biggest complaint.

Thanx

Motion detection looks the same. The built in motion detection feature is pretty limited on all the DVR's I've played with. It seems to work OK inside with fixed lighting but once you go outside and have clouds, shadows and blowing wind it's not much use.

I gave up on it and installed real motion detectors using the alarm inputs. It works 1000% better. I am using an Optex Redwave outdoor PIR for the front of the house, a ProTech doppler microwave in the back that gives me about 100' coverage, and a regular "pet resistant" alarm motion detector on the front porch. The detector on the porch is not weather proof, but is out of the rain and has been working for about 4 years now without issue. The "pet resistant" feature keeps it from tripping on every breeze blowing through.

The firmware update also helped with using multiple hard drives as well.

Dave

Dave,

Unfortunately the method you gave me did not work. I unzipped and installed the webrec utility. It looks like it installed (added a folder to my ProgramFiles directory) but still when I try to go to my DVR I get the same pop-up asking my to install an activeX plug-in which of course doesn't work.

Is there another step I need to complete maybe from within IE?

Dave,

Unfortunately the method you gave me did not work. I unzipped and installed the webrec utility. It looks like it installed (added a folder to my ProgramFiles directory) but still when I try to go to my DVR I get the same pop-up asking my to install an activeX plug-in which of course doesn't work.

Is there another step I need to complete maybe from within IE?

Hi tondar. the problem you might have is your active x licence has ran out. to get around this just change the date on your pc/laptop to feb 2009 let your pc/laptop load axtive x settings then reset your date back.

I just tried to install in Windows 7, and had the same problem as you. The fix was to open a command prompt (run as administrator).

Go to the c:\program files\webrec\single directory.

run "regsvr32 webrec.ocx"

That just worked for me, so give it a try.

Dave

Dave,

You Sir are a genious!!! That worked. I never would have figured this out on my own. Thank you so much for your help.

BTW, what exactly does regsvr32 do?

Regsvr32 registers the DLL or in this case OCX file within Windows. It puts the registry entries in and makes it available to Windows programs.

In XP the install program must have done this by default, I'm sure I didn't have to do it manually.

If you need to de-install, or reload a newer version you can run regsvr32 /u (filename) to get rid of it.

Sorry about asking very late. I couldn't install the active-x on XP no matter what way I tried. IE kept asking me whether to install or not install. I use Windows XP sp3 and IE8. The active-x file date was some days in 2007. I also changed the system date back beyond the file date but still did not work.

I had to go through a loop of steps to get it to work with IE, to the point where I didn't like the security settings it made me set up.

Alternatively, it works real well in Firefox if you install the IE Tab 2 add-on to fool webrec into thinking it's connecting to an IE browser.

tom

Hi Tom,

Didn't work but thanks anyway. It seems to me that IE Tab2 relies on security settings of the real IE on the same host. I have found that the very outdate host equiped with Windows XP SP2 and IE6 works flawlessly. I have also found that the upgraded system from the mentioned config to SP3 and IE8 having had the Active-X installed and worked well before upgrading has no problem after the upgrading. There are still a lot of problems of this kind on the web with no solution officially and unofficially. This shows the dark side of this industry. So, to summarise, new systems will have no way to communicate the survilliant systems that use webrec.cab v1.8 released in about 2007.

I hope people who are acquiring surveillant system could learn this paradox since most of them depend heavily on this kind of UI - Active-X which belongs solely to Microsoft.

So, to summarise, new systems will have no way to communicate the survilliant systems that use webrec.cab v1.8 released in about 2007.

I hope people who are acquiring surveillant system could learn this paradox since most of them depend heavily on this kind of UI - Active-X which belongs solely to Microsoft.

Not totally true, one does not have to use it like that. ActiveX controls are still a great help in programming, I use them all the time even when I write my own. But as for DVRs I use their activeX controls in my programs, no security settings, the issues you are having are IE related. I look at it this way, if you have to install something, which is any activeX or Java or quicktime etc (windows does not have quicktime and updated java by default) then might as well just install a real desktop app which is much more powerful being that it is not stuck within a limited web browser. If you are in a web cafe to install an ActiveX you still need to have admin rights, same as installing a program - most wont give you admin rights.

That said, I use the DVRs with the webrec but I rarely use the browser for it, it was a task to get working with IE 8.0 but I just downloaded the webrec.cab and installed that like I do most ActiveX Controls. Their Iphone/ipad software installed flawlessly though.

Although I use my own custom program Im still working on it so cant say where to get that yet, but you can simply install PSS software, customize the device for your DVR's remote IP address, then copy that folder to your USB jump drive (contains all the custom dependencies) - carry that with you and you can now connect right from there - tested in XP SP2/SP3 and Win7. Ofcourse like anything you need admin rights. And they even have a Mac version of PSS.

Ofcourse if you just want to see the basic live image then some javascript and server push or even just jpeg refresh would suffice, its still rare with DVRs though.

Rory,

I was able run webrec on Windows 7 on my home PC fine, but my work PC running XP was locked down. Even though I had local admin rights the policies wouldn't allow it to install because the active X was unsigned. I worked around that as shown in previous posts. The later versions of webrec.cab with files dated in 2009 do appear to be signed, one by Dahua, and one by Software Tools.

I've been able to get around the security by finding the webrec.cab file in my temporary internet directory before I close out the IE window and copy it somewhere else. Then I can right click, go to properties, view digital signatures, and choose to view the certificate. I have a button to install the certificate, and if I choose to install it in the trusted root root certificate store then after closing IE it will install OK the next time I go to the DVR.

You can also export the certificate from another more open PC from details/copy to file then take it to the problem PC and import it.

This does compromise the PC security a bit in that you are now trusting any active X written by the owner of that certificate.

I do like the tip about making a jump drive with PSS on it.

Dave

Good to know that, another way around it

Also you can download unsigned activeX controls just change that setting in the security settings from disabled to prompt.

When I get a chance, maybe tonight, I will do a write up about how to hack the PSS software (legally). There are a few hidden fields which are not in the config but are in the ini file. Also I will explain how to make the skin folder go from 60MB to 20MB as in the latest version 4.04, never having to login or use a password to exit, all without the software crashing. BTW 4.04 has a time line now on the playback with multiple cameras, works okay, although it could use some improvement still. Also instead of having to add each camera for multi playback there is a hidden check box that ads all cameras. There is also a way to make the actual GUI faster and that is part of the skins but also by removing a few resources such as the icons that are seen on each video window, that makes say 36 or 64 multi view load much faster - yes 4.04 has 64 way multiview now.

Im actually working with the SDK for my own custom software and thats what I generally use to view live video, even compiled some for a client today, but for playback and config I use PSS.

Another thing, when encoding is set to D1 the remote video from these DVRs is really high quality compared to some others. If you have a really slow connection, as do my clients, the video can seem to hang or just be very slow, setting any of the PSS quality or fluency settings makes little difference, same with the SDK. BUT, if you setup the substream on the DVR (under encoding) to CIF on all the channels, even if you uncheck the video box for it, we can still connect to that stream which is good enough for remote video and makes the world of difference on a slow connection. Inside PSS just right click on the camera under the device you want to view and click Extra Stream and it will stream from that instead. Im adding it as a feature in my own software as simply high quality (main stream) and low quality (substream). If using the SDK it is type 3 of the RealPlayEX function. On a DVR I was trying to connect to last night, I could barely play 4 cameras, when I changed over to the substream I was able to now view all 8 like its on the local network and the quality is still good (enough). There may be some other settings like network bandwidth etc but I havent found those yet (in the SDK). There are some network settings in the PSS config file but I havent fully tested it yet to say whether that makes a difference.

On a different topic but related to these DVRs, on the local DVR itself, I have found that in 9 way view there is some strange video issues like the video is vibrating or something, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing that, with the 16 channel DVRs? I noticed it on another 16 channel but just put it down to the monitor, but now Im using a couple different PC LCDs and its still doing it. I guess its time to post on Dahua's site and see what they come back with, or get a firmware update and see if that fixes it. Major flaw if you ask me, since most will be viewing in 4 or 9 way since 16 can be very small on even a 19" wide screen LCD.

Good to know that, another way around it

Also you can download unsigned activeX controls just change that setting in the security settings from disabled to prompt.

Without a doubt changing the security settings is the easiest way to do it. On large corporate networks when you log into their domain they can push "policies" down to all the member computers that limit what can be done on them. On my work laptop one of the policies grays out the security settings tab so I'm stuck with them the way the company wants them, even if I log on as a local administrator.

I'm looking forward to your PSS info. I didn't know you could do all that with it.

Dave

Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection - trying to playback remotely crashes PSS and locks up the DVR's network for a while, they are stuck with local playback until they get a better connection. This has limit of up to 16 way view, full screen, PSS device and user settings, auto login, and logout only requires clicking ok, and remembers last screen setting. No video window buttons so it loads quicker between multi views and full screen etc, can just logout to close all or use CTL-R to make a snapshot of a video window. This one geared towards a netbook or other slow computer.

psslite.jpg.fe01143ea873a8cc970b580fe5e3e1f2.jpg

Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection - trying to playback remotely crashes PSS and locks up the DVR's network for a while, they are stuck with local playback until they get a better connection. This has limit of up to 16 way view, full screen, PSS device and user settings, auto login, and logout only requires clicking ok, and remembers last screen setting. No video window buttons so it loads quicker between multi views and full screen etc, can just logout to close all or use CTL-R to make a snapshot of a video window. This one geared towards a netbook or other slow computer.

Where can I download this version and how do I install it?

Thanks,

Hello everyone, after banging my head against the wall with lots of PC's with IE10 and it not letting it use the webrec.cab install.. or more so that it rejects it because it has no certificate... which by the way Q-See, you need to fix this and provide firmware updates to all your DVR units! --- I downloaded the webrec.cab myself, extracted it, wrote an install read me, and put it out on my web server for you..

http://slfarms.us/misc/WebrecForqsee.zip

From the read me I put in the zip file:

" Go into the webrec folder, right click on webrec.inf --> then select install

- From this point on Internet Explorer should play from the q-see DVR. "

After you do this, it will pull up just fine in IE on your machine. I can't believe what a pain this was before I figured out who to just download the cab, extract it, then install manually. Come on Q-See. Fix this. Since Microsloth went overboard with their security this is unusable to so many people. Hope this helps everyone out.

Have you tried:

1a. Put the address of the DVR in the "trusted sites" list of IE

or

1b. Change settings for "Download Unsigned ActiveX" and "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting" to "prompt"?

2. Run IE with admin rights...

Have you tried:

1a. Put the address of the DVR in the "trusted sites" list of IE

or

1b. Change settings for "Download Unsigned ActiveX" and "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting" to "prompt"?

2. Run IE with admin rights...

Yup. Tried them all. Hit and miss. Worked on one machine, not on 5 others. Got tired of the trouble and just researched how to install it dedicated so there is no future annoyance. IE 10.0.2 is so protective. I wish Q-See (Dahua) made a signed version of the driver, or better yet, had a HTML5 interface or full plugin for Firefox/Chrome.

Been busy but for starters here is a screen shot of an extra stripped down LIVE only version I threw together last night for a client with a slow connection ...snip...
Cool Rory, can we get a copy once you have it ready? I think I could use this for a couple of my clients. Navigating PSS is too difficult for them. I'd love something I could run (perhaps with command line arguments?) or simple presets that would allow them to pull it right up with no login and extra stuff.

Yup. Tried them all. Hit and miss. Worked on one machine, not on 5 others. Got tired of the trouble and just researched how to install it dedicated so there is no future annoyance. IE 10.0.2 is so protective. I wish Q-See (Dahua) made a signed version of the driver, or better yet, had a HTML5 interface or full plugin for Firefox/Chrome.

Well we have tested the unsigned version on latest IE and Windows 8 too... Works, but needs to pay attention.

HTML5 requires special compression, encoding in a format that is not natively supported by the hardware