Kablooie

Anyone have an opinion on 3xLogic MVR Series?

I've been reading about the 3xLogic MVR Series DVR and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with &/or opinions of the product. I'm looking at an 8 camera installation (analog) with POS/ATM integration and this system intrigues me. Although it may be a little overboard with all of the features it has (that will never be used) I'm thinking it may be a good solution for this particular environment (small convenience/card/gift store type of place).

So, any thoughts, comments or opinons on the 3xLogic MVR Series?

We use the full-size Vigil systems all the time... AFAIK the MVR units run the same server software on the same Windows XP Embedded, it's just built into a really small PC.

I should see if I can get ahold of one to test... I know the full-blown systems are great value for the price tag, but they ARE still a little spendy for a lot of people. I'd love to evaluate the system for a lower-priced alternative.

Yeah, from what I'm reading the MVR series is similar to the Pro series, but is smaller, so upgradeability may be limited, such as adding additional storage.

I'm thinking it also has a less powerful processor. The spec sheet for the pro series states a dual core or quad core processor (depending on model). The spec sheet for the mvr series does not list the type of processor.

I also read in the literature that the mvr is limited with how many features can be utilized at one time. This isn't a big deal for the environment it would be used in. Basically record video and capture transaction text. Most other features are way beyond what the location needs. But, the system interests me anyway.

I'll ask a couple of the guys at 3xLogic about the differences and limitations. I suspect it will relate mainly to the more processor-intensive stuff like the video analytics.

We use the DRX and Pro Series systems with USB, firewire, and iSCSI-connected external drives and NAS for additional storage all the time, and 3xLogic also has their own proprietary network filesystem (so you can attach to storage in other PCs) and their own line of network-attached arrays... I can't think of any reason the MVRs wouldn't work with the same outboard storage.

Looks interesting indeed, I like small DVRs especially if they have the features.

I know we can build our own but most times its an issue finding one that can meet the power requirements of a DVR system with the card etc and also finding one that has a riser card for PCIE which many of the dual core mini ITX boards come with, plus a fast enough for a DVR system normally gets very hot at that size.

Question, can you ask them also if the XP Embedded can be customized by advanced users?

Ive never used XP embedded so thats why I ask.

Also it doesnt appear to have a DVR card for the analog cameras, it mentions a "whip cable" instead, can you check on this also? Also can you check on how hot it gets inside?

And can you PM me a price plz? thanks.

true .. i like the LCD on it thats for sure

while we going off topic .. any thoughts on this?

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=78432&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=447&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=1885445877

i3 1.2Ghz? Are they doing something to make the 1.2 super fast or something? claims 8 hour battery life.

runs around $600 retail.

ok thanks

Um yeah soundy dont worry then, If its an Atom 1.6 Im not interested .. thanks though.

Oh, it comes with an Atom processor? Hmmm, I may need to rethink how interested I am. However, why would the system be produced with an Atom processor if it weren't up to the task of performing well in a DVR application? I'll need to put this on my list of questions.

true .. i like the LCD on it thats for sure

while we going off topic .. any thoughts on this?

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=78432&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=447&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=1885445877

i3 1.2Ghz? Are they doing something to make the 1.2 super fast or something? claims 8 hour battery life.

runs around $600 retail.

I actually use an Acer TimelineX as my everyday laptop. Different model, but similar (I have the 3820T-5246). The one I have claims 8 hour battery life. I suppose it could reach 8 hours if the system is turned on and hardly used, but if utilizing wifi and streaming video for a while the charge lasts for around 4-4.5 hours. The best I've done is 5.5 hours with normal usage. Still pretty good.

ok thanks

Um yeah soundy dont worry then, If its an Atom 1.6 Im not interested .. thanks though.

Oh, it comes with an Atom processor? Hmmm, I may need to rethink how interested I am. However, why would the system be produced with an Atom processor if it weren't up to the task of performing well in a DVR application? I'll need to put this on my list of questions.

As long as your not using it as a client machine you will be fine. I have build many Atom NVRs with megapixel cameras and they work great. Exacq ELS and there new L series run Atoms.

As long as your not using it as a client machine you will be fine. I have build many Atom NVRs with megapixel cameras and they work great. Exacq ELS and there new L series run Atoms.

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I was looking at Exacq product also.

After I wrote my post about the Atom processor I started thinking that I have clients with DVR's that are up to 5-8 years old and work very well (8 & 4 camera systems, some with POS integration). I can't imagine that those systems have much processing power, but they're also stand alone systems. In any case I'm thinking now that the Atom is more than adequate to perform the job and I shouldn't dwell on it. I will ask about it though.

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I was looking at Exacq product also.

After I wrote my post about the Atom processor I started thinking that I have clients with DVR's that are up to 5-8 years old and work very well (8 & 4 camera systems, some with POS integration). I can't imagine that those systems have much processing power, but they're also stand alone systems. In any case I'm thinking now that the Atom is more than adequate to perform the job and I shouldn't dwell on it. I will ask about it though.

as long as you arent doing HD video shouldnt be much issue anyway. What would cause the issue though is the OS you use and the type of DVR software, eg new Geovision would destroy that type of pc, the older Geo works fine with it (or adequate). Alot of the stand alone DVRs you mentioned for example are not running Windows so that alone makes a big difference, especially against Win Vista or Win 7. But for example on 1.6 Atoms I used they have issues with HD video on youtube under XP, but I can run 64 little windows of various DVRs and Mjpeg IP cameras with some lag mostly when changing views, but no lockup, in fact I do that on my old Asus EEE PC, but its my custom software developed on that. From what thewireguys has said Exacq is light weight also and thats a full blown NVR. Ofcourse the 1.6 Atom in those ITX cases are a little different from the ones in the netbooks/laptops, different model, probably faster. Speak to thewireguys though as he's made his own before, I believe they have some better boards with faster video chips. That 3x logic is a sweet case though, pity they cant fit in core 2 or least a pentium dual core, dont know how but Apple seems to do it in theirs Anyway no doesnt have to be super fast, even this Dahua slim line Stand alone DVR I have has some delay switching views etc and playback, slower processor than their more expensive larger models, probably to also cut down on the temps, but it records fine and hasnt crashed (yet).

as long as you arent doing HD video shouldnt be much issue anyway. What would cause the issue though is the OS you use and the type of DVR software, eg new Geovision would destroy that type of pc, the older Geo works fine with it (or adequate). Alot of the stand alone DVRs you mentioned for example are not running Windows so that alone makes a big difference, especially against Win Vista or Win 7. But for example on 1.6 Atoms I used they have issues with HD video on youtube under XP, but I can run 64 little windows of various DVRs and Mjpeg IP cameras with some lag mostly when changing views, but no lockup, in fact I do that on my old Asus EEE PC, but its my custom software developed on that. From what thewireguys has said Exacq is light weight also and thats a full blown NVR. Ofcourse the 1.6 Atom in those ITX cases are a little different from the ones in the netbooks/laptops, different model, probably faster. Speak to thewireguys though as he's made his own before, I believe they have some better boards with faster video chips. That 3x logic is a sweet case though, pity they cant fit in core 2 or least a pentium dual core, dont know how but Apple seems to do it in theirs Anyway no doesnt have to be super fast, even this Dahua slim line Stand alone DVR I have has some delay switching views etc and playback, slower processor than their more expensive larger models, probably to also cut down on the temps, but it records fine and hasnt crashed (yet).

Rory you can put a core 2 in those cases

Ok just not going by the customize part of that site linked above though, but can buy it without the mobo and then add your own?

Ok just not going by the customize part of that site linked above though, but can buy it without the mobo and then add your own?

It takes mini-itx boards so take your pick....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627+600009028&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

There is no substitute for experience. Thank you for providing that excellent bit of information, rory.

Question, can you ask them also if the XP Embedded can be customized by advanced users?

Customized how? "Embedded" XP, AFAIK, is just a distribution that allows the builder to more extensively customize the XP install, essentially configuring it from the ground up, rather than the typical "subtraction" method using things like nLite - the Vigil build, last time I checked, takes <800MB.

Ive never used XP embedded so thats why I ask.

According to Microsoft:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Embedded is a componentized version of the Microsoft® Windows® XP

Professional operating system that brings the rich feature set of Windows XP Professional to embedded

devices. However, there are some differences between Windows XP Professional and Windows XP

Embedded. The major difference is that Windows XP Embedded is engineered specifically to support

embedded devices and their manufacturers. This document describes Windows XP Embedded solutions for

common embedded scenarios, and describes Windows XP Professional features that Windows XP

Embedded does not include.

Also it doesnt appear to have a DVR card for the analog cameras, it mentions a "whip cable" instead, can you check on this also?

"Whip cable". aka breakout cable, octopus cable, splay cable... yes, some even call it a dongle. The spec sheets for the Pro Series and DRX systems list it the same way: "ANALOG CAMERAS 4 / 8 / 16 / 32 BNC Camera Inputs (included whip cables)"

Looking at the picture, there does appear to be a single ATX card slot in the back... it looks like the pictured unit is an NVR only, and from the specs, it seems the DVR/HDVR versions would use the same cards as the Pro Series machines (I believe they're HikVision cards).

But I'll ask and confirm...

Hmmm, checking the actual PDF spec sheet (http://www.3xlogic.com/files/3xdoc_lib/3xLOGIC%2520MVR%2520Series%2520Spec%2520Sheet%2520V2.00.pdf) it looks like they have a wall-mount bracket, a 12VDC power kit for mobile use, and an option to install a 4-port PoE + 1 LAN port internatl switch for straight NVR use. Neat!

This may be of interest to some:

Security & Surveillance Solutions from Windows Embedded

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/about/solutions/surveillance.mspx

Security and Surveillance Devices Powered by Windows Embedded

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/about/casestudies/surveillance.mspx

Security and Surveillance white paper

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/9/E9981113-9EDD-40C0-83AE-7472C416A09E/SS%20White%20Paper.pdf

Customized how? "Embedded" XP, AFAIK, is just a distribution that allows the builder to more extensively customize the XP install, essentially configuring it from the ground up, rather than the typical "subtraction" method using things like nLite - the Vigil build, last time I checked, takes <800MB.

I like control of XP ..

size isnt the issue, theres other things that makes the GUI faster and not everybody tweaks them that way.

I like control of XP ..

size isnt the issue, theres other things that makes the GUI faster and not everybody tweaks them that way.

I've found it about as tweakable as most XP installs... I have a script that disables various unneeded services (Windows Audio, WZC, etc.) that works just fine on it.

I've found it about as tweakable as most XP installs... I have a script that disables various unneeded services (Windows Audio, WZC, etc.) that works just fine on it.

Yeah thats what I mean, you can still change it, write to the OS drive?

Yeah thats what I mean, you can still change it, write to the OS drive?

Well, it works fine on the full-size DVRs/NVRs... those typically use a 80-160GB drive for OS (20GB partition) and exports/backup data (the remainder, ie. a target for emergency video recording if the main data drive fails). I don't know what the MVRs use for a system drive, I would think maybe an SSD or even CF... I have seen some of their HD Viewer machines that used a CF card for the system drive. The tweaks work on those too, though; the drive is fully writable.

Well, it works fine on the full-size DVRs/NVRs... those typically use a 80-160GB drive for OS (20GB partition) and exports/backup data (the remainder, ie. a target for emergency video recording if the main data drive fails). I don't know what the MVRs use for a system drive, I would think maybe an SSD or even CF... I have seen some of their HD Viewer machines that used a CF card for the system drive. The tweaks work on those too, though; the drive is fully writable.

Thats good to know, I always thought the reason for using XP embedded was so that the user could not change the OS. I never looked into it any further as it costs so much or difficult to purchase for me at least.

this was a good read up on XPe also:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5956