epulliam

GEN IV DVR - G4-RTA16X password?

I have always used the default password, and only 2 other people had access to this unit (the other owner of our business, and 1 senior employee). The default password 12345 does not work, the co-owner doesn't know any other password, and the one other person that knew it, no longer works for us. The only logical explanation is he changed the password, and if he did this to be mean, I'm sure its the full 16 characters of random numbers. I used to read this board awhile back, and talk with people about using all the features of this DVR, and I remember seeing there was a way to reset this password, but (for good reason) it was never posted on the board. I have emailed intellicam, but have not heard back. It is very important that this DVR be functioning. Having a very nice surveillance setup stops a lot of bad things from happening in and around our office, and if it were known we could not record, or even view all of the cameras I don't want to think of what would happen. Could someone pppplllease share with me, somehow, the master password, or button combo that allows the password to be reset? You can click email on this post if you don't want the info to be posted. Just 1 costly incident could be the end of our business, and all of our hard work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: also, if anyone knows a hardware way to clear the settings, I would even do that! I used to build all of our video editing machines, so I can find a jumper, or discharge a cap. I know just removing the batt doesnt work!

I saw that user 888888 info somewhere and tried everything I could, to find it. The only 3 users available are: Admin Teller and Audit, and none of them use any of the common passwords either. It does not allow me to enter a User, only select from the list by using the up and down arrows. Thanks for the reply!

You may need to contact the suppliers to reset the password. Different suppliers have different way to reset the password after the system is locked. For our DVR, we generate the temporarily password basing on the time on the DVR, it is only valid in 24hours.

apparently intellicam doesn't know anything about it, even though they sold it. They gave me another company to try and contact. But the funniest part is the way to get the password: Find a computer that still has a serial port. Find or make a cable, that has a serial plug on one end, and a rj45 tip on the other. Plug the 2 together, download a terminal program. Set baud rates etc, restart dvr 3 times, each restart 30 sec after the last. The dvr then "should" send a code to the terminal screen on the computer. Email this code to the company, where they use an algorythm to get you a password.

The problem I'm now having, is when you restart the dvr, the terminal program disconnects, and doesn't reconnect in time to get whatever the dvr spits out during startup.

Just in case someone else has to go thru this ordeal with a GEN IV G4-RTA series DVR, I am going to document the password recovery process here. I see how fast google picks up these posts, and you can try to PM me, if I still have this email I will always help you out. To recover the password there are several weird steps, and some documentation you will need. The manufacturer of this series is actually 'Hikvision', I think the site is hikvisionusa.com. I have attached 2 documents, the first is their guide to recover the password with hyperterminal, and the second is the pinout I had to figure out for the cable. Do not waste your time using the program on their site, it won't find these dvrs. The default network settings make it invisible to network display utilities, so it will not show up on this, nor your router's connected devices, it won't even show up on a IP scanning utility. Use the pinout file I made and attached, and create a cable with a serial db9 tip on one end, and a rj45 tip on the other. Find a computer that still has a serial port, connect the 2, set the baud to 11500, data bits 8 parity none stop bits 1 flow control none. restart the dvr, and hit connect. Hit enter to get the arrow prompt, type "resetPasswd". It will display a long serial number and a date. Copy these or email a screenshot to techsupport "at" hikvisionusa "dot" com with dvr password reset as the subject. The serial # has your model number in it, so all you need to send is what it displays. They have been pretty good with turnaround, but you need to enter the reset password they send you within 24 hours, because it is based on a alg using the #s you emailed them. Do not enter this password into the dvr from the face, you must repeat the process you used to get the serial #, and it asks you for the reset password. I would have had this done a week ago had I not wasted most of my time trying to access this via the network, telnet, etc. Just use the RS232! IT WONT LET ME POST ANY KIND OF DOCUMENT FILE, PM ME FOR THE 1st FILE

232.thumb.JPG.f67be24ed2782336e4f4d65f9dbd86cd.JPG

All the current GenIV Intellicam's are made by Dahua. Are you sure thats a Hikvision?

All the current GenIV Intellicam's are made by Dahua. Are you sure thats a Hikvision?

Yes, the G4-RTA series were/are made by hikvision. Their support dept (both people) were very good about getting back with me, getting technical info from the designers overseas, and digging up info from their resources there. I took this event as an opportunity to set up the remote viewing capabilities. This thing is the most amazing video server I've ever seen. Without any software on your pc you can easily pull up any previous footage, and even right click and record locally to your machine right off the interface. I don't know how it does this without a software app installed. I have 5 different models of dvrs in 10 different locations. Most of them are cheaper dvrs that generally do a great job, but I can see from this exactly why this one is worth the high price tag. It has hundreds of small features, and they all actually work as they should. Most dvrs do the basics well, but when you get into the other features that only the most technically inclined users would find, it seems like they didnt spend much time or resources getting them right. For instance, while playing back a file, i can pull just any small amount of time, even a few seconds, and save it to email it, or load just that few seconds onto a jump drive, or disc. None of the other 4 brands do anything as well as this one does. I've been buying and using these for 15yrs now, and until this one nothing could do what the computer based cards could do, but this is much better than even the high end cards. The only thing I hate is the IDE, they should have been using serial ata by 2008/2009!

If you use PSS software which is listed on GenIV's website as their CMS software, its definitely a Dahua DVR, and all the DVRs are SATA now. The GenIV other models are all Dahua, and although this one has a different face, its specs are identical to the Dahua 16 channel HE-T. If it is indeed using an IDE then its an older one or a totally different brand, as you mentioned maybe hikvision.

http://www.genivtechnology.com/products-one/category-two/G4-RTAHD-D1

As for the no software on the PC, every browser app needs something installed, even if you didnt install it, its pre installed already as a plug in. The listed G4-RTA uses ActiveX in the browser which needs to be installed on the user's computer - personally I rather use the desktop software, which also gives alot more options and is overall better for Remote Surveillance purposes.

Glad its working though, and you are happy

did you figure it out

Yes, that's why I posted the procedure. There was one thing wrong in that post. It's not that you must enter the password they send you within 24 hours of getting the output. You must enter the reset password on the same date (to your dvr) as when you got the output code you emailed to hikvision. ex. if your dvr says it's 8/16/2012 at 11pm, you will want to wait an hour before getting the code you will send, because as soon as the dvr ticks past midnite and displays 8/17/2012 the password they generate from the code you emailed them will no longer be valid. It must be entered the same day as the code was made. This prevents any reset password from being used twice, because that day at midnite, the password expires.

Also, to answer the other question, I use a hikvision program called iVMS-4500 to do the remote viewing. The ipad app, and iphone apps I have are named the same thing. I have it hooked to the alarm system now, and I have the dvr email me a still when someone enters or disarms the alarm after business hours. The hikvision iphone and ipad apps can also send you a msg then open up live viewing when anything is disarmed or triggered. I rarely use the browser viewing anymore since I have the apps and program that let me go back through events, not just view live. It also lets me view up to 16 different dvrs, even though i only have 2 in 2 locations. But it lets you take cameras from the different locations and save a custom multiplex view, instead of having to switch back and forth between dvrs. They keep updating the software, I assume for new models, but the new software does all the same stuff with the older (3 year old) models too. There is another version called iVMS-5600. I downloaded it into the ipad but have yet to enter all the network info into it to get it going.

I still have all the technical documents if anyone needs them, these are much more in depth and technical than the info that came with the dvr when you bought it.

also - if you find a cat5 to serial cable or adapter made for something else, use a multimeter and the diagram I made above and CHECK the PINOUT! I had 2 different pre made cables, one made for a vhf motorola police radio, and one for a cisco router, and neither worked!! It's an uncommon pinout on the serial side, so chances are you will have to chop and swap some wires in that cable to make it work. The cisco cable I had didn't even have enough conductors in it. If you find a cable and it doesnt boot the dvr into the terminal window, check the baud and parity to what I posted above, but the pinout is most likely why!

This pinout is much easier to understand than the one I attached to the post above a couple yrs ago. This cable is 3/4 of the battle. I figure I'll upload whatever it will let me post to this board (it still won't let me upload all the technical guides) since I've had dozens of emails over the past couple years.

81999644_serialtorj45pinout.JPG.cfdd73e8c796ae205124191be3f091ab.JPG

thank you very much for this, we have 2 dvr's that may as well have been boat anchors for the past year. We have countless guides and service manuals from the manufacturer that make no sense at all to us, but we were able to follow your post and we now have 2 working dvrs. thanks again!