Sybaris

AVTech AVC798 loses remote connectivity frequently.

Hi

I was referred to these forums by our AVTech supplier, I hope somebody here is able to help.

We have purchased an AVtech AVC798 16ch DVR, primarily because of it's excellent connectivity for remote viewing using iPhones, iPads, Web Browsers etc. over the internet.

The setup was easy enough, and initially appeared to work well, allowing remote viewing for multiple users both from the internal LAN and from the internet.

Now that the system has been in place for a couple of weeks we appear to be encountering a periodic problem with loss of connectivity to all remote devices, both on the internal LAN and over the internet. The symptom is simply that nobody can connect any more. LAN connection is still good as I can ping the DVR, but it would appear that the remote access completely fails. The only resolution I have found is to restart the DVR, then everything is immediately OK for another couple of days until it fails again.

I called the supplier for support, to be informed that "The AVTECHS are are bit glitchy and prone to this". He went on to say that if no more than one person connects at a time, and nobody connects for extended periods of time (say 1 hour), then the problem should not occur. This is despite the fact that the AVTech system promises up to ten concurrent connections, and suggests no limitation to the length of time for remote viewing.

The system is only 2 weeks old, and I have confirmed with the supplier the it was shipped with the latest firmware.

Restarting is only possible if you have direct physical access to the console, so this makes recovery of the remote viewing very inconvenient (during the Christmas break for example when nobody is on site).

Has anybody else encountered this problem? and if so how do you get around it?

In the event that remote access being "glitchy" is an unavoidable feature of AVTech systems, what can people recommend as the BEST DVR solution for a client requiring remote access, primarily from iPhones and iPads?

Many thanks for all help received

Regards

Steve

Hi,

I think the problem can be the ddns account doesn't refresh your actual public IP adress.

You can try to get your public ip adress from a computer in the same network of your dvr, and connect with that number.

If you restart your dvr, the ddns adress will refresh, and you can connect again from web.

To avoid this problem in the long period, you should configure the DDNS service directly in your router (if supported).

Leo

Hi,

I think the problem can be the ddns account doesn't refresh your actual public IP adress.

You can try to get your public ip adress from a computer in the same network of your dvr, and connect with that number.

If you restart your dvr, the ddns adress will refresh, and you can connect again from web.

To avoid this problem in the long period, you should configure the DDNS service directly in your router (if supported).

Leo

Hi,

Leo

So sorry to have to resurrect this thread from the grave. I registered specifically because I have the same issues as the original poster. This has happened to all three of my AVTech DVRs, all in different locations (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036JL5FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's really odd in that when this suddenly happens, you can't access the DVR's menu via web browser. What's odd is that when using a program like iNet (we are a 100% OSX operation) to check for connected devices in the network, the DVR is definitely there and has the correct IP address. It's just absolutely unresponsive to everything else over the network. All IP addresses have been set to static and have their IP addresses reserved via their MAC addresses with their respective routers. All ports are properly forwarded. Everything works fine for either a few weeks or a month or two, then the DVR suddenly stops responding even though it's still connected and seen in the network (it is still working when you physically inspect it).

When this happens, I end up having to physically turn off the DVRs for a good 10 seconds, then restart them. From that point forward, local and remote viewing works again. Browser connectivity is restored. I monitor my DynDNS account exhaustively as well. It's not a DDNS problem.

Could anyone possibly point me to a firmware upgrade for my relatively ancient DVRs? I'm not sure this will help, but the periodic frustration might be remedied by doing this. Thanks.

I have the same problem with an AVTECH unit as well. Avtech this is obviously something that can be fixed via firmware, it's a software bug in your web server! Has nothing to do with DDNS! When this happens port 80 does not respond locally, it's closed (you can't telnet to port 80) yet you can ping the DVR and it responds fine. Reboot the device and it works again for a couple hours at best. This is horrible and unacceptable! And also there seems to be no way to reboot the device except to pull the power while next to the DVR, another very poor design feature. There should be a way to reboot the device at the very least via a web browser from a host on the same local network as the DVR!

Until Avtech addresses these issues do not buy this product as they do not even offer direct support!

-Mike