SetiroN

How to reproduce footage from the DVR's HDD

Hello,

I need to recover some footage from a DVR hard drive, but the file structure isn't really straight forward.

The hard drive isn't formatted and apparently doesn't have any partition, but accessing it manually shows 4 ext2 volumes of 8MB, 128MB and 4GB (which are probably home of the embedded linux OS) and a large FAT-like one covering the rest of the hard drive; file recovery programs only manage to recover multiple unusable files with different extensions that cannot be opened, not a data structure, which brings me to believe data is being written raw. By the way, the first few bits from the large volume form the phrase 'This is tango magic'.

Is there any way that I can reproduce a bit-by-bit image of the larger volume on a PC?

The DVR was a Comelit 49826, the logic board is marked ED146 v1.4 and sports 4 techwell video capture chips, an AMCC Power-PC PPC440EC CPU, an Altera MAX II programmable chip and an IDIS ISP1000 h264 encoder.

Their provided PC software (RASplus, which is shared by multiple DVRs) only allows network access, not video file playback so I was wondering if there was any other way to access the video stream. I've tried a couple other h264 video players bundled with different DVRs without success.

Thanks for your help!

I am having a similar issue right now, did you ever get any information regarding this filesystem or data format ?

"This is tango magic" has me completely stumped ?

I am working on a data recovery for a Revo R16DVR3 unit - has the same file system as described in this post. I did not see any one reply to getting working video from the HDD (The Tango Magic characters are in this machine as well). Any new ideas???

Nah unfortunately not. Got in touch with the distributor in Australia, no use. Apparently its a Korean manufacturer and they encrypt.

Havent had a chance to try and see if it really is encryption or just something simple like bit shifting.