katie77

Help with Q-See qt428

I am having no luck with Q-see techs so hope someone here can help. OK I know this unit is a cheapo but all I could get. It keeps trying to re-boot about every 2 minutes. I am trying to find out if this is the failure of the HD or a firmware problem. The cameras (running 6 of are viewable. Firmware that I was offered by Q-See gives me error message "no device or valid file". If it is the HD, I can replace myself. If it is firmware then I do not know how to get it to recognize the files. There does not appear to be a way to check the HD while in the unit. Q-See told me to 'put it into a PC and format it'. My PC has IDE while the HD in question is SATA.

ANY help greatly appreciated.

Katie

Firstly there is a way to check it while in the unit, its in the menu, can't remember where but it is in there. I know a lot of time these systems can be set to reboot on a schedule, sounds like this one has been set to reboot every two minutes, I would check the system options and look for a maintenance settings or reboot setting.

Don't put it in your PC and format it, Q-See is running a dumbed down version of linux and will most likely want this to be formatted as a EXT3 filesystem. You should be able to reformat the drive while it is in the system, however I would look for a maintenance option first, as it has been my experience this is usually what causes these systems to reboot.

Another thing to try is to unplug the hard drive and boot up the dvr. If the unit stays on without rebooting, it's something with the hard drive. Reconnect the hard drive and make sure the ribbon connector is in there nice and snug. In fact, once you open the unit, you could try that first- just disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. Sometimes reseating the connection is all it takes. If you try all that without luck, and then within the two minute reboot time you manage to do any kind of reboot schedule check or health check on the hard drive and there's still a reboot problem, have qsee send you a new hard drive. I had a thing with my qsee 408 where it would not reboot when I turned it off for whatever reason. Sometimes it would take two days to come back on. In the end it stayed off and never came back on. I opened the case and reseated the power connector in there and bingo- it boots up like a charm every time. So, reseating connections in these things should be something to try- really the first thing to try. Good luck.

Btw- if it's possible, also check the power supply for the dvr. They can go bad too. If you have another one at the same spec, try it and see. The same spec power supply, mind you. As far as the firmware update, it's most likely that you don't have the proper file written and/or showing on the media you're using. I don't think you can have any other file on there except the firmware, and make sure it's not a zip file of it, but the unzipped actual firmware file and nothing else on there.

Thank you so much for the help. I have pretty much decided it is the HD so will replace that. Do appreciate the comments as they were much more helpful than the Q-See techs.

hello there .gud am.. i have also problem w/ our q see qt428 .. its keeps on hanging on the start-up , i already perform some trouble shoot like unplugging the drive and etc. looks like a software problem, is there any ways to re program the software/firmware? i already updated the firmware since it was not hanging.. and now its keep only displaying on the screen 'PLEASEW WAIT' , can you guys pls help?

Have you tired to reformat the HD? I tried that with mine and it kept giving me the 'please wait' message. In the end I replaced the HD and now it works perfectly. There seems to be no way to check that the HD is actually working. I think part of the problem is that my unit was getting too hot. I have changed the location and also raised the unit so that there is more air circulation.

You format the HD in the unit. There is a command for format. Let me know if you cannot find it and I will walk you through getting to it. I think navigation could be easier with this unit.

i cannot reformat the HD in the unit, because it wont boot up, it only displays " PLEASE WAIT " it wont boot anymore.. even if i remove the HD in the unit and turn it on, still the message PLEASE WAIT, maybe the OS has been corrupt? is it possible? and i formatted the HD from my pc, still doesn't work when i connect back the HD..

with the HD removed, can you still view the cameras? If so I suspect the HD is shot. Mine kept doing a similar thing. I could still see all the cams, but trying to do anything with the HD and I got the 'please wait' message. In spite of these HD's being made for the units, they still run hot. I have changed the position of mine, plus raised it so that air can circulate under it.

Formatting on your PC and it probably won't work in the unit. They use some type of Linux system I believe. Did the HD work in the PC?

I also have a problem with my Qsee QT428. It seems the cameras work fine and I can watch on my monitor but my mouse stopped working and so did all the buttons on the DVR itself. I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but it doesn't help. If anybody has any advice I would really be grateful to hear from you.

I know this is a very very old post.
I also have the QT428 and I am having issues.
I really do not want to throw this thing away, I would rather fix it.
Mine turns on but stays at the “system initialing” screen.
I can feel the hard drive start to spin when I turn the unit on, but it remains at the “system initialing” screen.
I have tried unplugging the hard drive as others have suggested and when I poser on it still stays at the “system initialing” screen. It will not go any further.

I am open to any advice.
Is the unit fixable?
Should I just throw it away?