Sign in to follow this  
flowers

THE PROBLEM OF COMPRESSION CARD

Hello,

I have a problem disturbing me for some days. I just want it solved asap.as followings:

what the general price of compression card? when we choose a PC-DVR, the capture card is necessary, and it should be monitored within the PC-DVR. I want to know the differences between the hardware compression card and the soft press card.I want to purchase it considering the factors of the price and the quality.

Any advice in advance should be appreciated!

Capture card should be cheaper than the compression card, where video capture then video compression is being done by the compression chip on the board. The compressed bit stream is to be passed over PCI bridge to PC system memory for storage into HDD. The compressed stream is to be read back and decompressed and played back for the monitor.

Capture card is to simply capture the incoming video data and to send them over PCI or PCI_E bus to PC's system memory. PC CPU takes them over and compress them, at the same time to display them on the monitor.

Thanks for your answer! I am very appreciated.

Are the compression card and the capture card are totally different? I was always thinkng they the same.

Your meaning is that the compression card is more expensive than the capture card. The latter is suitable When the CPU of the PC is powerful, and also it is economic.But the former is with good quality and the more stablity, right?

Live Video quality can be the same, as the raw video data can be also sent over PC system memory. The play back from recording quality can depend on the HW or SW that you go for. You can't tell which one is better. But in terms of system stability, it can't be a match. That's why they sell the compression card.

oh, i know what you said. but i was still confused. you say the Live Video quality can be the same,that is

the effectiveness of the showing when we watch at the real time is exactly the same, is that right?

the only thing that matters the video quality is the PC system, but what do you think of the general trend of

market of capture?is the compression card the leader among the two types of software card?

The reason why I said " Live Video(not recorded playback) Quality can be the same for both Video Capture Card (software compression) and Capture & Compression (Hardware compression) Card " can be further explained: Both type of cards can capture and send the Live Video (uncompressed-raw) data to PC's system memory via PCI or PCI_E interface. Then CPU sends them to graphic card for display. But some of Hardware compression cards may send only compressed bit stream only, not live uncompressed video data. In this case, the quality of Live View could be worse. Because the CPU has to de-compress the compressed video for display. So, we can not always say that every Hardware Compression Card shows a better quality video for display. In that case, it can be in real time but couple of frame time delay for decompression. Got cleared?

As to the market of video capture card, it becomes more than Horror for the chip makers, as the price of standalone DVR goes down so Low. I am regretfully one of them. But I expect all the chip suppliers would be gone away, except mine. I keep waiting for the day would come earlier. The video capturer market would still be there because some system makers can apply their own value added algorithms for higher values, say License Plate Recog, Object Tracking, Motion Detect etc. And PC CPU and Graphic Card gets more powerful as time goes by. That's why I am now developing a chip set applicable for the Hardware Compression Card.

The Hardware Compression Card did not seem to have an opportunity for blossom. The market size could be less than 50K per year. It may seem too small for the system makers to take on as a project, even for chip makers.