JDookie

Aver EH1000H and WD Black HDD issue

I have an Aver EH1008H-4 nano hybrid nvr, and it came from my local retailer with a WD Green 2TB drive installed, which I believe has been the root of some performance issues I have been experiencing with the two IP cameras. I have them set to "Smart Record" and any time there is substantial movement to initiate a record session, the recorded video pauses for a couple seconds, and then starts to record which results in lost frames, stuttering, etc. I am also limited to only 5fps on these two IP cameras (Vivotek FD8134V) or I get a negative effect by increasing fps any higher, resulting it massive stuttering and high cpu usage.

Anyway, thinking that it was the hard drive causing these issues, I bought a new WD Black 2TB drive today hoping to maybe resolve everything, but after turning on the unit with the new drive installed, it almost instantly freezes the system with cpu usage maxed out to 100%. At first, I was thinking it was formatting the drive, but I left it for nearly three hours, and when I came back it was still frozen. Analog video was still playing, but the system was basically rendered useless. The mouse pointer wouldn't move or anything.

I removed the drive and formatted it on my desktop computer using an NTFS file system thinking maybe that was the issue but it still does the same thing.

Just to get my camera system up and running for the time being, I went ahead and put the Green drive back in and it's back to working like "normal", just with the same stuttering and loss of frame issues that I'm trying to get rid of.

What should I do? Does the drive maybe need to be formatted to FAT32 instead of NTFS? Is this nvr not compatible with the WD Black line of drives?

Also, I installed the latest firmware thinking that might have been the issue, but it didn't help.

EDIT:

After looking at the hard drive that was installed by the retailer, I am now noticing that it is actually an AV-GP drive and not just a regular desktop Green drive so my issues may not be the drive at all.

As far as the Black drive, I went ahead and formatted it with a FAT32 file system, and it still doesn't work so I've just given up. All that I can assume is that either I'm not formatting it correctly for the Linux system to use, or the Aver hvr just simply isn't compatible with it so I've given up on trying to make it work.......unless someone knows what I'm doing wrong. I never wanted to keep the Black drive installed, I just wanted to install a high performance drive in it to see if it made any kind of difference with the stuttering issue I'm having to rule out hard drives being the cause.

Now what I have to decided to do is actually try out one WD's new Purple drives. I want to step up to 3TB's anyway so this will be a good excuse to give this new drive a go. From what I understand, this new Purple drive is replacing the AV-GP drive as the surveillance system drive of choice since it's based on the Red drives and firmware optimized for surveillance systems..........I guess I'll find out sooner than later.

Anyway, I'm still all ears if anyone has any idea why I can't get the Black drive to work.

Hello,

I'm having an Aver EH1008H-4 nano too and I'm having some issues with a 2TB WD AV-GP drive.

It worked OK for almost two years now but suddenly, after a regular restart, the NVR doesn't recognize it anymore.

I moved the hdd on my linux machine and its data seemed to be okay though it didn't pass the fsck procedure (it kept stalling at 2.3% each time).

I saved the shootings on another hdd and I reformated the AV-GP drive. Unfortunately, the NVR still doesn't recognize it.

The drive looks OK now (check disk returned no errors and I have used the drive in my linux box for awhile with no issues at all).

I have no spare SATA drive to check if the NVR would recognize it thus I wonder if anybody has a clue about why the NVR it's acting like that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I can't format the drive inside the NVR as it not appears in the "Add New" window. I can find the USB storage (pendrive) in that list but not my SATA drive. I'll give it another try today, after NTFS/FAT32 formatting prior mounting inside the NVR.

BTW, my main dislike about the EH1008H-nano NVR is the missing option of keeping (locking) some footages from being overwritten. The only option is to copy (back-up) them on the USB storage and that is time (and storage space) consuming, especially when you're in a hurry.

The other bigger dislike is the lack of custom frame rate settings on hourly basis. I need it to record at very low frame rate (3fps) during the night time (as I have some lights/trees around who's triggering the motion sensor). Another solution could have been to set a lower motion sensitivity during night time but that's unavailable, too.

Does anyone knows if there's any custom/tweaked firmware or something for this NVR?

My problem was solved: it was because of the power supply.

I have mounted a DC splitter on the NVR power brick output to "steal" some 12V from one of my CCTV cameras. Although the NVR didn't seemed to care about the missing amps, the HDD did. Actually, it made some clicking sounds on boot and the NVR failed to recognize it.

After removing the DC splitter (actually, after disconnecting that camera) everything went just fine. The HDD drive is up & running like before.

It seems like there was a bigger inrush current at HDD boot up and the power supply couldn't handle it.