Henriks

Which Hikvision DVR would fit my setup ?

I currently have D-Link and HikVision cameras, setup up via POE and a Synology NAS (with Surveillance Station).

I would like the cameras to be viewed and operated without the need of a computer - so i have been looking into buying a DVR for this purpose.

I am, however, very much in doubt about which DVR to buy, since HikVision is my first camera choice, i thought of getting a HikVision DVR with a built in HDD. I do have a dedicated POE switch, so no need to spend extra money on a DVR with POE (i guess this would make the DVR more expensive, and i have read that connecting the cameras directly to the DVR makes it a pain to access them directly)

I would really appreciate any comments and recommendations on a DVR that fit my setup ?

Thanks !

Thanks for your input, cobra22

When looking at these DVR's - specs tells you how many cameras i can support, eg 7608 supports 8 cameras

How does this 'support' compare with camera resolution - I have 8 3Mpix cameras - will a 7608 be powerfull enough to run these in full 3mpix resolution ?

I am a bit in doubt, because the specifications on 7608 states:

Synchronous playback: 8channel 4CIF, 4channel 720P, 2channel 1080P, 1channel 5MP

So if i have 8 3Mpix cameras, will i not be able to run these in full resolution ? - but be forced to run these in only 4CIF resolution (hence waisting a lot of detail and camera potential)

Hope someone might be able to help me out

I ended up getting the Hikvision DS-7616-NI-V

I nice NVR med capacity for 16 cameras, so it should suit all future needs.

It is a '-V' model, meaning the enclosure is vertical, making it easier to place in shelves - rather than the standard enclosure which has a larger footprint.

Please post a little review when you get familiar with it!

I'm especially interested in how well it may work when you use a web browser to connect. Elsewhere I read that the Dahua units require a browser plugin, and don't work on Macs at all.

Please post a little review when you get familiar with it!

I'm especially interested in how well it may work when you use a web browser to connect. Elsewhere I read that the Dahua units require a browser plugin, and don't work on Macs at all.

This baby works flawless with mac - as with all Hiks, you need to install the plugin - i'd assume its the same plugin the 7616 uses, as i have not installed any separate plugins after installing the 7616.

I'm in a MBPr 15" mid 2014 - using Safari - no problems at all.

Even motion detections work great.

Thanks, Henriks, that is great to hear. I really need multi-platform remote support so that probably pushes me over the edge from Dahua to HIK.

If I can bug you with a couple more questions...

Is it possible to get video and audio out in standard formats? I'm assuming yes, I saw a HIK camera review that showed MP4 export.

May I ask where you got it and if you were happy with the vendor? ("E&M" on Ali Express looks good, they have English units for $380 shipped.)

Thanks, Henriks, that is great to hear. I really need multi-platform remote support so that probably pushes me over the edge from Dahua to HIK.

If I can bug you with a couple more questions...

Is it possible to get video and audio out in standard formats? I'm assuming yes, I saw a HIK camera review that showed MP4 export.

May I ask where you got it and if you were happy with the vendor? ("E&M" on Ali Express looks good, they have English units for $380 shipped.)

Sorry, can't quite answer your question - i'm not using audio, only video - i'm letting the 7616 control everything for me, it's really easy - but i'm not the big demander either, i just want it to work, and with 'ok' motion detection - this suits my needs just fine, at least until now.

I bought locally in Denmark, dirt cheap, around 300 dollars - i originally looked for the 7608-V but the 7616 was only a few dollars extra. The offer is not available for everyone though, i work for a dealer, and got a special offer through distributor.

Have yet to test this baby with a DVI cable, until now, i have been running through Safari only.

One advice though - i've upgraded firmware, but as soon as i upgraded firmware above 2.3 (there is a 3.0) available - i got no live view - so 2.3 is newest firmware for me.

Mp4 is a video format as well. As long as this NVR makes the video export available in some kind of standard format I'll be happy. From what I have read it is h.264 video so it should be possible to play videos on a computer without heroic efforts.

Ah, you're in Denmark... I'll have to keep hunting for a vendor.

Thanks again, this has been tremendously helpful.