Sign in to follow this  
sv87

SILLY NEWBIE QUESTION

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for help with my silly, amateur question.

I've bought an eight channel, eight camera DVR system with a 1tb hard drive. It is for basic CCTV recording at home. The system can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261559069520?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What I wish to do, is to add an external microphone to the system that records 24/7 (this is to be positioned in the front porch, to record interactions with solicitors and other doorstep callers).

Will my system support such a setup and do the recordings? I can only think of two ways which the system might...

1. Use the AUDIO IN BNC - but I am unsure if this will record, and if so, if I would have to lose one of the eight cameras from the system

2. Somehow connect the microphone between one of the cameras and the DVR so the microphone and camera connect via one of the VIDEO IN BNC connectors - but I am unsure if the audio will record, or if the addition of the microphone will prevent the video recording.

Some help would be greatly apprectiated!

Best,

SV87

1. Use the AUDIO IN BNC - but I am unsure if this will record, and if so, if I would have to lose one of the eight cameras from the system

You need to use the AUDIO IN connector (which is RCA; not BNC). It will probably be associated to the CH1 camera, so you should put in there the camera on your porch.