videocheez

Hikvision DS-7316HI-S Want to Upgrade Firmware

I have a friend who has a Hikvision DS-7316HI-S at her apartment building and said that only a Windows XP laptop can be used to remotely view the DVR so that she can check out the 16 cameras from her bedroom. She said that she recently got a Windows 8 PC and Mac and is not able to remotely view the DVR's webpage. I was wondering if a firmware upgrade would help me to be able to remotely view this DVR from computers that do not have XP. Also, I was wondering if there is a risk to losing the current configuration when performing a firmware upgrade. I see that there is an FTP option or a USB option. Is one method better than another? Can I reverse the firmware upgrade if needed?

Once the firmware is upgraded, I want to set-up the DVR to send emails for alerts. I played with this a bit by entering my freebie yahoo email address as the sender and my freebie gmail as the receiver and was unsuccessful in getting the emailing feature to work.

Thank in advance for reviewing my post.

Thx,VC

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/Recorder/Z%20Phased-out/DS-73xx%2081xx-S/

7316HI-S is an old device, a firmware upgrade won't make it work with Win8 (last firmware is from 2011).

Try using Internet Exlorer in compatibility mode (some old firmwares only work with IE up to version 9). If that doesn't work, I would just use iVMS-4200 client for Windows.

Once the firmware is upgraded, I want to set-up the DVR to send emails for alerts. I played with this a bit by entering my freebie yahoo email address as the sender and my freebie gmail as the receiver and was unsuccessful in getting the emailing feature to work.

Use GMail to send. Check out this guide, it is in spanish but it should be good enough, look at the second screenshot.

http://www.securamente.com/como-mandar-emails-por-smtp-desde-un-dvr-o-camara-ip-utilizando-gmail/

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/Recorder/Z%20Phased-out/DS-73xx%2081xx-S/

7316HI-S is an old device, a firmware upgrade won't make it work with Win8 (last firmware is from 2011).

Try using Internet Exlorer in compatibility mode (some old firmwares only work with IE up to version 9). If that doesn't work, I would just use iVMS-4200 client for Windows.

Use GMail to send. Check out this guide, it is in spanish but it should be good enough, look at the second screenshot.

http://www.securamente.com/como-mandar-emails-por-smtp-desde-un-dvr-o-camara-ip-utilizando-gmail/

Thanks for the quick response and the useful information. The ivms-4200 client worked like a charm with windows 8. Is there a version that works for mac? If that exists, I will be in great shape. I don't know what windows explorer compatibility mode is. If you can tell me how to do that, I would like to try that too as an alternate to installing the ivms-4200 software.

I clicked on the link to the Hikvision firmware that you provided and do not know what to click on. There were 2 options as far as I could tell. There was a v3.1 and a V3.2. If I install these, will they automatically know that I'm trying to update the DS-7316HI-S? The version of firmare currently installed on the system is V3.2.0, Build111028. Do I need to change firmware or is my version current?

I clicked on the spanish guide for setting up the email and the menus did not look like that when I was working on the DS-7316HI-S. Is that because my firmware is not up-to-date. I think I set up the email properly based on the information shown in the guide. Could there be a setting in the modem/router that prevents outgoing emails? I have a Comcast Business class IP gateway.

Thanks again in advance, VC

Thanks for the quick response and the useful information. The ivms-4200 client worked like a charm with windows 8. Is there a version that works for mac? If that exists, I will be in great shape. I don't know what windows explorer compatibility mode is. If you can tell me how to do that, I would like to try that too as an alternate to installing the ivms-4200 software.

You do have iVMS-4200 for Mac, get it from Hikvision web site -> support -> download -> client.

I think it is actually called "compatibility view". Google something like "internet explorer compatibility view", I do not use Win8.

I clicked on the link to the Hikvision firmware that you provided and do not know what to click on. There were 2 options as far as I could tell. There was a v3.1 and a V3.2. If I install these, will they automatically know that I'm trying to update the DS-7316HI-S? The version of firmare currently installed on the system is V3.2.0, Build111028. Do I need to change firmware or is my version current?

If you do have already v3.2 there is nothing to update, you already have the latest firmware for your device (and there won't be any newer firmwares).

I clicked on the spanish guide for setting up the email and the menus did not look like that when I was working on the DS-7316HI-S. Is that because my firmware is not up-to-date. I think I set up the email properly based on the information shown in the guide. Could there be a setting in the modem/router that prevents outgoing emails? I have a Comcast Business class IP gateway.

Can't help there. Feel free to post screenshots on your email config.

Can't help there. Feel free to post screenshots on your email config.

Thanks. The Spanish guide worked great. I got 3 of the 4 DVR's working well because they had the standard Hivision passord of 12345. Unfortunately, one of the DVR's does not have the default password. Is there a trick or away to find out an admin password or a way to perform a factory reset and clear the user stored passwords?

Thanks in advance, VC

Thanks. The Spanish guide worked great. I got 3 of the 4 DVR's working well because they had the standard Hivision passord of 12345. Unfortunately, one of the DVR's does not have the default password. Is there a trick or away to find out an admin password or a way to perform a factory reset and clear the user stored passwords?

Not an easy one. You will have to get an unlock code from Hikvision.

Thanks. I checked out the guide. It says that I'm supposed to email the serial number and start time of the DVR to Hikvision. Do you happen to know the email that should be used?

Thx in advance, VC

I do not know what coputry you are from, you should contact a Hikvision dealer (in fact, you should contact whoever you got the unit from).

You can also try with CBX on the forum.

Thanks. I checked out the guide. It says that I'm supposed to email the serial number and start time of the DVR to Hikvision. Do you happen to know the email that should be used?

Thx in advance, VC

Thanks again. After a couple of tries, Hikvision sent the unlock codes. It finally worked once I rebooted the DVR first to get a true start time to match the S/N sent to Hikvision.

Now I can finally start setting these DVR's up to satisfy the client's request even thought they are outdated. I gave them a quote to replace but so far, they are not interested:

I have a couple of more questions related to these DVR's

1. Can the time that an email notification on motion detection be set to happen during a certain period like between 2AM and 6AM?
  2. Why would certain cameras not be permitted to stream video? I get a messge when viewing through ivms 4200 sayingHCNetSDK.dll that "no more users can connect". Should I reboot the DVR to clear this error and to kick off the unknow remote users?
  3. When setting up the email notification, there is a box to check that says jpg and it list several time periods starting at 2s. What do these time period mean?
  4. Does the ivms4500 cloud service cost money? What is it for.. storage, remote viewing, etc.?
  5. On the motion detection screen, there is a large grid. Does the camera detect motion in the grid space? If I erase some of the grid space, is that area not included in the motion detection?

thanks in advance, VC

1. Can the time that an email notification on motion detection be set to happen during a certain period like between 2AM and 6AM?
  2. Why would certain cameras not be permitted to stream video? I get a messge when viewing through ivms 4200 sayingHCNetSDK.dll that "no more users can connect". Should I reboot the DVR to clear this error and to kick off the unknow remote users?
  3. When setting up the email notification, there is a box to check that says jpg and it list several time periods starting at 2s. What do these time period mean?
  4. Does the ivms4500 cloud service cost money? What is it for.. storage, remote viewing, etc.?
  5. On the motion detection screen, there is a large grid. Does the camera detect motion in the grid space? If I erase some of the grid space, is that area not included in the motion detection?

1. I don't think you can do that if you want to record 24/7 motion detection. You could do it if you record 24/7, and just send emails from 2AM to 6AM. You could also record 24/7 motion, and use external PIR sensors to send emails on a given time frame.

2. Each device has a maximum number of channels it can stream. Like, if your device supports 20, if you are watching all channels on a computer, you will only be able to watch 4 on another device.

3. I think when you send email with snapshots, it will send you 3 JPG with a 2 second time difference.

4. Your device does not support cloud.

5. Yes, you can choose on what areas will or won't detect motion.

Thanks for all of your help. I got the system running as best as I can for an old DVR. I was wondering if there is an equivalent software package like the ivms4200 and the ivms4500 for the Dahua NVR. If you know of them please let me know. I've been playing with a Dahua NVR and wanted to compare it with the Hikvision.

Thanks in advance, VC