keithjmason

3MP camera -NVR that can support this @ 4:3 rather than 1080

Hi, I am new to using IP cameras, and have just bought a 3MP Hikvision Camera.

I was thinking that I would then be able to select lower resolutions to start with, and need less powerful equipment/storage, and then upgrade in the future.

It seems that the camera will only output at 3MP, 1080P, and 720P - However, as I have a wide lens, I want to keep the complete picture and therefore have a resolution at 4:3 aspect ratio, and this only gives me the full 3MP option(2048x1536)

So now I am looking at an affordable NVR to start with, and although there is a lot of choice of ones that accept 1080P as an input, there seems a lot less, and at more expense, ones that list 3MP as an input option.

Would It be correct that if an NVR says 1080P, then its not going to accept a stream from the camera at 3MP(2048x1536) ?

In that case I have to set the camera at 1080P and loose part of the picture due to it being 1080P (16:9) ?

Or, have to find an NVR that will accept 3MP as an input, and I assume it would use native 4:3 res in this case (2048x1536)?

Plus, If instead I swapped it for a 1.3MP camera (1280x960) would an NVR that accepts 1080P accept this, or would I have to change this to 720P 16:9 again!?

Hope this makes sense.

Any help, advice, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

As it is Hikvision 3MP camera, it is better to select Hikvision NVRs such as DS-77xx series. Acturally Hikvision NVRs only limitted the bitrate for all cameras in the NVR, didn't limit the resolution. It can access max. 5MP resolution and record correctly.

Also you can select no brand ones from some company such as China Netvision.

Or you can choose Netvision's own developped PC structured Linux system--The NVSS, which can access IPC from D1 to 5MP resolution, it can access standalone DVRs / HDTVI / HDCVI DVRs too for 2nd Storage use. Max. 16 / 24 / 32 Hot-Swap HDDs(4TB for each) for huge systems too. The system supports auto add IPC / POS / IVA too.. More information, you can visit their website:

http://www.netvisiondvr.com/Home/SubCategoryDetails/97

http://www.netvisiondvr.com/NVSS/NVSS_all_function_page.html