studioso

dvr has poor playback capabilities... other options?

hello to everyone,

Since switching to a stand alone DVR- I'm using a hikvision 24ch 720fps h.264- I got very frustrated with the playback view: I use the system in a manufacturing plant and I often need to go back and review the videos, sometimes needing to find something that happened in a 5-6 hours window.

with my old defunct pc system I was able to select a date, visually see where there was a motion triggered recording, but more important fast forward worked nicely: I was able to select from 5 speeds and when fast forwarding it wasnt skipping frames: it would play all the frames faster and smoothly.

with the dvr, and I've seen it in different dvrs, there are a few issues:

1-first you have to manually search for videos, within a time range, and the dvr returns a list of files, basically. this is less intuitive but manageable.

2. fast forward is not as useful: when fast forwarding you basically are skipping frames, and playback is far from smooth. in my case I can easily miss what I'm looking for.

so here's the question: is there a dvr (24 channels or higher) that has a better interface? and if it's not too much to ask: an option to scrub through the recordings? so I can drag at whatever speed I need?

as an alternative, I can download the files I need and use a pc program to playback: is anyone aware of a simple playback program that allows multi-speed playback or scrubbing (I say simple, as opposed to using adobe premiere, for example.)

thank you very much for reading my post and thanks for any help you comment you might have!

Alex , Montreal.

What Hikvision model do you have?

Do you playback from the web interface, or from iVMS-4200? With current models you can easily playback at 2x 4x and 8x. From both web interface (IE, Firefox, Chrome) and iVMS-4200. You do get a list of files, but also a nice time bar where you can easily move.

259220_1.jpg

hi,

thank you for the quick reply...

My bad: it's not a hikvision: it's a hisung.

model is hisung dvr 5024E-S. they name the model simply "H.264 Network DVR". I'm guessing it's a general rebranded model.

Oh, thought so... A 24ch Hikvison would have been quite rare.

I think the only 24ch/32ch model Hikvision manufactures is the 73xx series, which is not cheap:

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9865

You could also use 2 16ch. From Hikvision software you can replay channels from both at the same time, but from the web interface you would not be able to do so. You have lower models, but 7216HWISH is a good unit.

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9631

From Dahua you also have 32ch units, but I can not tell you about their software, I hardly use it.