mrstevie

recommendation for 8 channel dvr in $300-500 range

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for an 8 channel dvr in the $300 - 500 range, including the cost of a 2tb drive.

I need it to work with both pc's and macs, and work with chrome and firefox (ie not require an activeX plugin)

also it needs to be compatible with an IOS camera viewing app.

What do you recommend, and where are good places to buy?

thanks much!

i called surveillance-video dot com and they recommended the KT&C K9-a900 ... the 1tb model is $482 ... does anyone know anything good or bad about that brand DVR? I need to stay away from the dvr's with the firmware that can be hacked

thankyou

What do you mean by "firmware that can be hacked"?

Can you explain why you "need" the system to be browser accessible? Why not just use dedicated software? The problem is that everything is going to require plugins in the browser. I know for a fact that the KT&C models do so I don't know why they even suggested it based on your requirements. Are you against plugins or just ActiveX?

If you're willing to drop the idea of browser access, you potentially open yourself to a whole range of Hikvision and Dahua models in your price range.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I am not against plug-ins, I am only against a DVR that only supports ActiveX. As long as it also supports Firefox or chrome, that is totally fine.

Aren't the brands you mentioned vulnerable to a hack?

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I am not against plug-ins, I am only against a DVR that only supports ActiveX. As long as it also supports Firefox or chrome, that is totally fine.

is this for a new install or are you replacing an old DVR?

It's a new install. I'm reusing existing analog cameras that used to be at a different site.

No my nane isn't steve m. I could care less what the brand is as long as it doesnt require IE for a web browser.

It's a new install. I'm reusing existing analog cameras that used to be at a different site.

No my nane isn't steve m. I could care less what the brand is as long as it doesnt require IE for a web browser.

Hikvision and Dahua both meet your app needs. They also both come with software to bypass the need to use any browser. I can't even remember the last time I used the browser to access a Hikvision system, but I know Dahua is still whoring itself out to the ActiveX plugin as far as IE is concerned. Both manufacturers are compatible with all of the browsers you mentioned one way or the other.

You are speaking about older models on an older firmware.

Hikvision or Dahua has a ton of options in your price range.