videocheez

Can't Access Dahua NVRX-16 From Outside of My Home

I just recently purchased a Dahua NVRX16 and have been testing it on my network. I'm able to remotely access it via web browser and via cell phone using iDMSS lite when I'm on a home networked PC or when my smart phone has an IP on my home network. I cannot connect to the NVR outside of my network from a remote location. I currently have a Blueiris system on my home PC and I have no problem accessing it remotely so I don't think it has anything to do with my ISP or the router' or modem's inability to allow access. Perhaps my network is treating an NVR differently than a PC. I must be missing a couple of important steps. I have comcast cable as my ISP. I'm going to give them a call in bit to see they have any advice. Any help that you guys might have will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, VC

Here are a couple of photos of my network settings:

IMG_7374(1).JPG.5b32cbbd5adc708983a5b314f4f8cfcf.JPG

IMG_7375.JPG.95b6eceaf6fd835014b5ef5e45a39c70.JPG

IMG_7373(1).JPG.bd1bf85f60893772871b59305545cb21.JPG

Here is a little more information. I have two surveillance systems in my home. One is on http port 82. That is my main system. I have hooked up the other system and assigned the http port on 84. While performing a port scan from a remote location, I received the following messages from the port scanner regarding the 2 ports.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is responding on port 82 (xfer).

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx isn't responding on port 83 (mit-ml-dev).

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is responding on port 84 (ctf).

For my system with http port set up on 84, I can get to the login screen but once I type in the password, It says connection failed. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm obviously closer than I was yesterday. Last night I verified that the ports in question are both port forwarded in my modem & router. I had to log on to my comcast router to make sure that port 84 was opened. It was not at first and I could not even connect to the NVR login screen. The only thing I didn't do last night was cycle power to my modem and router after opening port 84 on the router. I'm gonna try that when I get home but I didn't want to risk taking down the family internet while the kids are home on xmas break and I was not hope there to fix it.

Also, what do the network characters mean (xfer) & (ctf). It seems that, (xfer) means the port is completely open and (ctf) means that the port is partially opened?

Thanks in advance & Happy New Year!

VC

You are missing port 554; you should be forwarding it too. It is used for RTSP (real time streaming protocol), if you do not open port 554 you will not get video.

HTTP port is 84; I do not know why you are forwarding 84 to 86, but that should not make a difference. TCP and UDP ports are 37777 and 37778, you are also forwarding 37776, but again, that should not make a difference. To be on the safe side, you should make sure that you are forwarding all ports in both TCP and UDP.

Once you have all needed ports forwarded (84, 554, 37777 and 37778) you can test that they are indeed forwarded and responding with a port scanner. You can try:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

If you get to the login screen but get a "connection failed" message from IE, make sure you have the needed activex installed.

You are missing port 554; you should be forwarding it too. It is used for RTSP (real time streaming protocol), if you do not open port 554 you will not get video.

HTTP port is 84; I do not know why you are forwarding 84 to 86, but that should not make a difference. TCP and UDP ports are 37777 and 37778, you are also forwarding 37776, but again, that should not make a difference. To be on the safe side, you should make sure that you are forwarding all ports in both TCP and UDP.

Once you have all needed ports forwarded (84, 554, 37777 and 37778) you can test that they are indeed forwarded and responding with a port scanner. You can try:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

If you get to the login screen but get a "connection failed" message from IE, make sure you have the needed activex installed.

Are you talking about needing to forward if if you're going to be using the RTSP stream or if you're going to be viewing at all?

Are you talking about needing to forward if if you're going to be using the RTSP stream or if you're going to be viewing at all?

Mmmmh good point. I would have said if you are going to be viewing at all; but I just tried it now, and I can see video on Dahua without RTSP port forwarded. So I guess it sends video over TCP or UDP port.

(with Hikvision and current firmwares I am sure that you don't get any video at all if RTSP port is not forwarded; I assumed it would be the same with Dahua)

Mmmmh good point. I would have said if you are going to be viewing at all; but I just tried it now, and I can see video on Dahua without RTSP port forwarded. So I guess it sends video over TCP or UDP port.

(with Hikvision and current firmwares I am sure that you don't get any video at all if RTSP port is not forwarded; I assumed it would be the same with Dahua)

Yah, I was asking because I don't open the RTSP for anyone unless they intend to use it and I've never had any issues doing it that way. I also haven't opened the UDP port for anyone in the last year and a half with no issues as well. Dahua's only seem to care about HTTP and TCP ports unless you're doing something a bit more technical like actually utilizing the RTSP.

NVR admin account is locked. I think with all my attempts to get in withe iDMSS, it automatically locked. Before I can proceed with testing, I need to know how to unlock the admin account. If you guys have any ideas, I would really appreciate it. I didn't realize that these NVR's would automatically lock me out. Geez!

Anyways, here are the results of my port scans. The port forwarding is for TCP/UDP for all ports listed below. Thanks in advance for the help.

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is responding on port 84 (ctf).

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is responding on port 554 (rtsp).

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is responding on port 37777 ().

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX isn't responding on port 37778 ()

IMG_7405.JPG.55023ff272f55ed404aba7701a192dc0.JPG

Just turn off and on again the unit, the account will be unlocked. If you try to log in several times with incorrect password, it locks you out I think for 30 minutes.

Ports are fine, the UDP port does not reply.