n0fx

Dahua Slight S.M.A.R.T HDD error now different message

I have a 32 channel Dahua DVR with an "serious" smart error on one of the hard drives and would keep popping up every time I reboot the DVR, so I replaced it with a WD purple drive and formatted it. I thought everything was ok until the office had a power outage and the machine rebooted. Now, the HDD window shows a "slight" error under the SMART STATUS. I tried to disable the alarm under "disk error" but it still beeps when the DVR reboots.

I'm not sure exactly what that means but is there any particular way I need format or redo the remaining good drives? The current setup was 8 x 2TB HDDS setup with HDD group 1 for the all the recording. If one HDD gets damaged or dies and I replace it with another one, do I just replace it, format it and it's good or do I need to format every since HDD in the same GROUP (group 1) and then it will be ok? I can't seem to find any instructions in the manual for it.

All the other HDDs show 0 free except for the new one, which is already 50% used since I installed it in the machine.

Any help would be appreciated! If anyone needs screenshots, they are here:

http://imgur.com/a/1ai1D

Thanks.

i had a smart error recently which constantly rebooted the nvr.....I found the HD was Shot!..replaced with purple wd and all returned to normal.

sorry I can't be of more help

I know is late, but just format the drive, don't mount it, or assign a drive letter, this usually fixes this issue, also it could be the port. Have you tried to switch the drive to another port?

Normally a SMART error is purely down the number of bad sectors on the drive, as a drive constantly overwrites itself then more bad sectors are generated.

Eventually you go from slight to serious at which point a Dahua is liable to start rebooting.

Normally a format solves the problem.

That said theres 2 issues here that may also contribute.

1: Older Dahua DVR's have issues with SMART checking, normally a system will hit a bad skector then skip it and move on with it's life. Dahuas often stop dead and will stop recording or reboot.

Newer Dahua models (2014 firmware on) don't have this issue.

2: I have on occasion seen Dahua DVR's report false positives in regards to SMART errors, this was a board fault on each occasion.

So to recap:

1: Format it.

2: If Possible upgrade it (May not be possible dependant on age/type of board)

3: Replace It (IE a new drive instantly gives the same error)

Normally a SMART error is purely down the number of bad sectors on the drive, as a drive constantly overwrites itself then more bad sectors are generated.

Eventually you go from slight to serious at which point a Dahua is liable to start rebooting.

Normally a format solves the problem.

That said theres 2 issues here that may also contribute.

1: Older Dahua DVR's have issues with SMART checking, normally a system will hit a bad skector then skip it and move on with it's life. Dahuas often stop dead and will stop recording or reboot.

Newer Dahua models (2014 firmware on) don't have this issue.

2: I have on occasion seen Dahua DVR's report false positives in regards to SMART errors, this was a board fault on each occasion.

So to recap:

1: Format it.

2: If Possible upgrade it (May not be possible dependant on age/type of board)

3: Replace It (IE a new drive instantly gives the same error)

Thanks for the info. What I ended up doing was upgrading the FW from the reseller but then the Dahua didn't even detect the drive, so they had me try to put the drive into another SATA port but what I did was return the drive and bought a different model (same manufacture) and it worked fine. The machine detects it fine and it works. I think the Dahua unit (32 channel DVR) doesn't like Western Digital Purple drives (atleast the 2TB one). I just bought a WD green 3TB (desktop version) and it works. Rebooted it to make sure it doesn't come up with that SMART window at the beginning. I wanted the purple since it's optimized for DVR/NVRs but they ran out and didn't sell the 3TB version.