raitchison

Hybrid DVR advice

So my parents have a small business and currently have a couple of DVR systems that need replacing:

1 16 Channel Eyemax DV-9240 PC based DVR

1 Crappy Lorex Blackbox 4 Channel (Costco Special)

The PC based system is 10+ years old and the hard drives are on their way out.

I'm thinking they should get a Hybrid system that will support the analog cameras they have now and support IP/PoE cameras for the future.

Ideally we could get one unit that replaced both the PC and the Lorex but we at least need to replace the PC.

The Dahua DH-DVR7816S-U is the best system I've found so far, at least on paper: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/dvr780478087816s-u-460.html

Thinking I could buy one of those and throw 4 2TB hard drives in there, plug in the existing cameras and call it a day. Later on we could replace the existing cameras with IP/PoE units (or add new cameras).

I'm pretty sure that the existing cameras are universal and will work but I'd like to be able to know for sure.

Is that Dahua a good system? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks for the advice.

Dahua is good but their Hybrid models are getting phased out and being replaced by "Tribrid" DVRs (analog, HDCVI, and IP). To buy one now is kind of like buying old technology. They also can't usually support as many IP cameras as you'd like. You have to pay attention to bandwidth.

What kind of cable do you currently have run? Plug-and-play, RG59, Cat5e, etc...Solid copper, CCA...?

Dahua is good but their Hybrid models are getting phased out and being replaced by "Tribrid" DVRs (analog, HDCVI, and IP). To buy one now is kind of like buying old technology. They also can't usually support as many IP cameras as you'd like. You have to pay attention to bandwidth.

What kind of cable do you currently have run? Plug-and-play, RG59, Cat5e, etc...Solid copper, CCA...?

I don't know on the cables specifically, most of it is coax but some is twisted pair. The TP stuff goes into an adapter to connect to BNC.

Are those newer units available?