Cat-Camera-Man

DVR will not Email

I purchased a CCTV DVR directly from a manufacturer in China. The unit does not have any name or other information on the unit. The front and the back look the same as the 16 channel Anran DVRs. Watching videos of the Anran the various menus are identical. Manual for the unit is normal China junk! Operation of unit is very good, except the Email alert part of it.

I have read and checked out so many different discussions on various ways to try to make it work and nothing does. Using my email that works with this unit fails. Putting "mail.charter.net" for the SMTP server and port 25 that my email works on still errors out. I have tried the "gmail.com" attempt also and that locks up the unit.

If I enter "smtp.mail.charter.net" I receive a failure to connect. If I remove the "smtp" then I receive a "username error." The username is my email address and password that have been checked and re-checked and checked again. They ARE correct.

Is there any way to "check" if this function is just not working in this unit? Defective? Broke?

I purchased a CCTV DVR directly from a manufacturer in China. The unit does not have any name or other information on the unit. The front and the back look the same as the 16 channel Anran DVRs. Watching videos of the Anran the various menus are identical. Manual for the unit is normal China junk! Operation of unit is very good, except the Email alert part of it.

I have read and checked out so many different discussions on various ways to try to make it work and nothing does. Using my email that works with this unit fails. Putting "mail.charter.net" for the SMTP server and port 25 that my email works on still errors out. I have tried the "gmail.com" attempt also and that locks up the unit.

If I enter "smtp.mail.charter.net" I receive a failure to connect. If I remove the "smtp" then I receive a "username error." The username is my email address and password that have been checked and re-checked and checked again. They ARE correct.

Is there any way to "check" if this function is just not working in this unit? Defective? Broke?

it is probably the port you are trying to use.. try 465 or 587

The 465 with Gmail finally worked. It was another number that caused the lock up.

I still do not understand why my "normal" email will not work when it is using the same settings as I was attempting to use. If port 25 was blocked by ISP, the email would not work. Very odd.

At least this tells me the unit is OK.

Thanks

:D

The 465 with Gmail finally worked. It was another number that caused the lock up.

I still do not understand why my "normal" email will not work when it is using the same settings as I was attempting to use. If port 25 was blocked by ISP, the email would not work. Very odd.

At least this tells me the unit is OK.

Thanks

youre welcome! anytime