madperson

Factory Reset of a Generic H.264 DVR System

I have an 8 channel generic DVR which I've forgotten my admin password. Now I've tried the switching on & off of power and removing the internal battery procedure then replacing it again and switching back on routine many times but still the system wont accept the default password. I've also disconnected the hard drive using the same procedure but still cant get back in to the menu systems.

I've looked at many You Tube Videos including the ones which show factory resets but none have worked on my system.

I've heard there may be a button sequence to force a factory reset. Does anyone know what it is?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I have uploaded an image of the my dvr board. Apparently I have to short out a chip resister but not sure where exactly it is located.

20151008_153219.jpg.83b67a628e006467b284fdba14fb0dd1.jpg

I have checked that You Tube Video (None of his suggestions work on my pc) & every other on the website but none solve my problem. Still hopeful of some sort of button factory reset.

I did see some where that there was a program that you could run on a pc. You had to enter the time and date that the dvr displays and the program would then generate a temp password which would give you access to the dvr. You were then able to set a new password, but you only has a certain amount of time to do this. Not sure if it would work with your dvr though.

@ midnight.

Well, Ive managed to get Windows to install telnet. Then I followed the instructions as in the You Tube link you kindly sent and believe it or not I get to the last hurdle on the instructions and I cant change to the blasted directory to delete the account on my dvr s it wouldn't change to it! I mean, talk about some Chinese computer dvr programmer having the last laugh! They certainly did! The Chinese were always good at revenge, my English teacher at high school told me that. Ah well a paper weight it is then.

Newsflash!

Have succeeded. The mistake I made was to use (lower case) when changing directory to config so make sure you all type Config (Title Case) NOT config (lower case) Bloody Chinese! Anyway the Chineese an I are friends again. Thanks for all your replies.

So this chap's link on You Tube people works>

REMEMBER make sure Windows on your PC has Telnet installed! Other wise nothing will work! Access it through Add Windows Programmes Menu. Click on Telnet in the options box.

Cheers!

Hi, As they say "****e happens". They are a lot smarter the we give them credit. I found the program that I mentioned in my last post. It is called superpassword.exe and it runs on a pc. I have just tried it and it does run on a win7 64 bit laptop. You just have to enter they date that your dvr is displaying on the screen and it will give you a numerical password that you then use as a temp password. It will then allow you to change the password on your dvr. Do you have the little cd that came with your dvr. If you do then have a look on it for a program named superpassword. If you cannot find it or you do not have the cd then get back to me. I will be online for a little while.

Hi, I just saw your last post after I posted. Well done and congrats.

If I can figure how to upload this program so that others can use it then I will. If anyone can advise me on how I upload it.

Edited by Guest

I tried to upload the program, but I got the following "The extension exe is not allowed". I am also unable to upload the pdf instructions that show how to use this program. If anyone else is having a similar problem with their password on a generic h264 dvr then check on the little cd that comes with the dvr. You are looking for a program called superpassword.exe. The program will run from the disc. There may also be a pdf file that will give you instructions.