Sign in to follow this  
scooterguy

Cheaper Costco Systems and Remote Playback

Hi All,

So I have a 16x3mp camera NVR for our 5000 sqft store. In general we are very happy with it...got it at Costco knowing full well it's quality may require a return at some point...lol. We have caught several thieves on it and even proved a B&E case. Police are always very impressed with the images during day and especially at night. Anyways, my question really relates to remote viewing on our iPhones...which is my only real complaint as the image is like less than 1 FPS. Is this normal for all of these systems or is this the weak point on these NVR's. Is there any brand that performs better for this function? Playback and recording has been awesome with great FPS...as advertised.

thanks

Visit http://www.speedtest.net/ from your store's internet connection.

Do a Test.

There'll be an Download Speed and Upload speed.

You are using 3MP cameras.

You'll require around 10Mbps per camera, ard 164Mbps for 16 Cameras @ 30fps medium quality compression.

http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/network-ip-security-camera-system-bandwidth-calculator

Your upload speed should be at least 164Mbps for your internet connection to be able to stream 16 cameras smoothly.

If you have anything less than that, you'll not be able to stream the cameras out smoothly.

Do a speedtest on your iphone as well.

The Download Speed you get should also match the bandwidth required as above for smooth streaming.

If your NVR support dual stream, you can configure the substream at a lower bitrate. This will enable you to stream the video smoothly if your bandwidth doesn't meet the requirement above. However when you playback on your iphone, the system will still required the main stream bandwidth to playback.

Otherwise, check with your ISP for a faster plan. These kinda speed is only achievable vie fibre broadband. We have these kinda speed here in Singapore (Mine's 240Mbps/227Mbps now). There's also 1Gbps plans. I'm not familiar with internet plans on your side.