Sign in to follow this  
David_W

HDD or PSU problem?

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum.

I’d a appreciate some advice on a problem with my two year old Swann DVR.

It stopped recording a week ago but everything else continued to function (e.g. live video and emailing still images when triggered).

When I do a hard reboot, it starts recording for a few hours before failing again. Sometimes the HDD still shows it has capacity and sometimes it shows 0 available and 0 used until I reboot or Initialise the drive.

The Swann helpline told me to reformat the HDD and restore recording factory settings, but when this didn’t work, they told me the fault must be with the external 2amp Power Supplier. I’m not convinced as they gave the same diagnosis on a previous DVR I had, and that turned out to be the drive.

Before I start spending money, is it likely to be the external power supply? I’m more inclined to think it’s a HDD fault?

Thanks

David

I would go for the power supply. I have seen many of them fail, mostly on low end DVRs, they cut so many corners to get a cheap product on the market... The power supplies over time loose eficiency, and the first thing that will fail is the hard drive.

Check out your power supply, it will probably be something like 12V 2A. Get another one, it might even be is with a few extra A.