Sign in to follow this  
SMzoo16

non-hikvision DVR software: hd-tvi license only?

I've grown a lot with my knowledge and experience in the last 6 months since joining, reading a lot more, contacting several manufacturers directly, installing my first IP camera, etc.

I am at the point, still, to swap out an aging analog 8ch "D1" DVR. I like the 8-channel +1 or 2 IP channel style of DVR. I prefer bringing my own HD, as that keeps the cost down, and I already have a nice one (I upgraded from factory) on the old guy.

Question: Are there any Manufacturers that use wholly separate software from anything Hikvision for their HD-TVI capable systems? DVR manufacturers / designers / rebranders that have up to 1080p hd-tvi inputs with no Hikvision whatsoever, except maybe the license for the HD-TVI codec, with US based OS software?

I'm interested in probably mid-low end pricing, but I'm happy just to learn who is doing this!

Now I've tried to figure it out, and I think I understand that Hikvsion is also a "licensee" of the HD-TVI standard? So it's possible that a DVR that uses an HD-TVI license has zip/zero/zilch to do with Hikvsion. That's great! If the product I'm looking for only has --passive-- parts of the software (sub?)licensed from Hikvsion (i.e. the "codec"/non-network-driver) that would be fine too. I believe the product I'm looking for exists, I just haven't found it yet. I'm getting burnt out searching for it too... that's why the post.

I believe the following manufacturers have a codebase that's borrowed from Hikvision for the whole OS, which is NOT what I want:

Alibi (somewhat customized, but base is still Hik..) (this is the IP cam I bought that also uses Hikv as base software)

LTS

KT&C

DVS

and a couple others I checked out but can't remember off the top atm...

and of course many others mentioned on this forum is various places,

and probably dozens more that aren't...

I don't want to get political, because that's not the discussion I'm interested in as the OP, so I won't be discussing "why" I want this type of DVR.

Thanks!

There's plenty of HDTVI equipment on the market; Hikvision is just the biggest manufacturer, but there are a lot more. Hikvision did not invent the HDTVI standard, Techpoint did.

http://www.techpointinc.net/about_us.html

"... This new technology drew rave reviews and was heavily adopted by tier one video surveillance manufacturers worldwide including Hikvision, AVTech, IDIS, TVT, and hundreds of others."

Hey thanks a lot for that link, Securame!

EDIT: So what I would HOPE is it's safe to say that many(?) "tier 1" manufacturers do not use a Hikvision-influenced/affiliated/partial OS on their DVRs.

However: viewtopic.php?p=289562#p289562

basically I think what SunnyKim is saying, as a learner of English, is that TVI tech is principally funneled through Hikvision, but perhaps not exclusively...

I'm going to contact Techpoint locally (in California, 408) tomorrow to see if they'll send me a short-list of such manufacturers that I can share with the community here.

I guess there's no fast and hard way to tell if someone is using hikvision sw in their DVR os, other than contacting them, or having a user reported list. I'm just a little burnt on calling direct to get the "yup, we use hikvision based OS! yippie! That's all you wanted to know? WTF? what kind of question is that?" or the also popular "I don't know what you mean, this isn't the phone number for hikvision..."

If anyone has a short-list of the type of looking in their reference library (i.e. bookmarks, etc.) that would be super sweet. For now, I'll check out IDIS, TVT, and AVTech (doing that last one as we speak since I recognize the name).