Esso Oil

No motion detection tags with PIR spy-cam - Help!

Hi there,

I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A

1 x DS-2CD2042WD-I (Mini Bullet)

1 x DS-2CD2142FWD-I (Dome)

1 x Chinese PIR style spy-cam

Thanks for reading this post. I originally thought that Dynamic Analysis for Motion is what puts the green event markers on the blue video timeline whenever motion is detected. This is also known as the "smart" option in playback which is essential for quickly reviewing events and incidents. Anyone with a Hikvision knows how useful the green event markers are on the timeline. Both my Hikvision cameras put the green motion markers onto my timeline no problem.

During my research I read a post where someone says even with Dynamic analysis off they still get green markers on their timeline. They said Dynamic analysis is what makes the red squares turn green when you view the image in motion detection mode (the screen with all the small boxes on) but that Dynamic analysis is not what puts the green motion markers onto the timeline.

As an experiment I've just bought a Chinese spy-cam in a PIR alarm-style housing. Don't laugh - it's surprisingly good. It's 1080p and uses the ONVIF v2.0 protocol. The image is clear although it's prone to the occasional bout of heavy jittering on the bottom of the image. It connected to my Hikvision NVR no problem (see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221919228298?).

PROBLEM: No matter what I do I cannot get it to put the green motion detection markers on the blue timeline to indicate movement. This means I need to manually scroll through an entire days recording to look at motion events which ideally should all have a green tag beside them.

It says it has movement detection and there is a setting in the web-interface on the spy-cam for "Motion Detection" which is on. I have the screen area set to "all" and the schedule is correct. My Hikvision NVR appears to recognise it has Motion Detection as I can also configure Motion Detection settings direct from my NVR but no matter how much I dance in front of the spy-cam my Hikvision doesn't detect the motion. The spy cam does continuous recording no problem and I can playback the footage but there are no green motion markers. If I move in front of my Hikvision cam I see the yellow notification symbol on my screen to show motion has been detected on Cam 1 and there's green tags on the timeline. No motion detection at all on Cam 3 (spy-cam).

Can anyone please explain what protocol or technique is actually responsible for putting the green motion detection tags onto the recorded video?

Should the ONVIF v2.0 protocol be sending a signal to my Hikvision NVR to trigger motion tagging?

I would happily spend £100 on another Hikvision bullet camera and then remove the insides to build my own covert IP POE camera to get motion detection tags on my playback timeline but the components and lens in Hikvision cameras are too big.

Are there any small cameras (must be POE) that will do the motion detection tags with a Hikvision NVR?

Any feedback appreciated.