ricerc1

Q-See QC8816 - Expandable up to 24TB?

Hello,

Has anyone successfully expanded a QC8816 up to 24TB, or beyond 6TB? A recent discussion with Q-See's support team indicated that this NVR only supports up to 6TB TOTAL. 4 SATA ports to only support up to 6TB? Hmm.

Website explains 24TB: https://q-see.com/products/16-channel-digital-4mp-nvr-qc8832-4 (URL mentions another product, but the content mentions QC8816). Google searches indicate expandable up to 24TB.

Rep says one thing, website the other. Anyone got any experience with this machine?

Additional Specs doc from Q-See: http://qsee.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/319411/1441996946/redirect/1/filename/QC8816.pdf

Thanks,

John

When I first got the nvr I put in 1 new 6tb WD purple, 2 4tb WD purples from the 3 year old Lorex set and left in their 3tb drive, then I eventually replaced the 3tb with a 6tb Seagate security drive, so it does indeed go past 6tb. I have 4 hard drives totaling 20tb at the moment (2@6tb and 2@4tb), unless my brain is messed up. I may have to go check to be sure.

I currently have 12 cameras going at a pretty high rate, but just added 11 and 12 last week so I don't know how much difference it will make. With 10 cams I was getting 30 days, but some of the cams are set to the smaller 4 tb drives and they get overwritten a few days sooner than the 6tb drives. I put the more important cameras divided between the 6tb drives and the others divided between the 4tb cams.

When the 6tb security drives go on sale again I will replace the 2 4tb ones, almost 4 years of nonstop record/read/write has got to be taking its toll, and another 4tb of space can only be better.