Sign in to follow this  
RIPE

Dahua model DVR-9116HFI-H16 rebooting loop issue

Happy Father's Day.

My DVR has been down for a few weeks. It started rebooting to a screen with CAM 1-16 and CAM 17-23 windows appearing. Mouse cursor is unresponsive. It reboots after about ten minutes. I removed the HDD's and cleaned the inside of the box. I checked the HDD's and they all appear normal with no clicks (they run smooth) and all are formatted with NTFS. I removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it.

We did have a strong one-second power outage the day that the DVR started rebooting. It was plugged into an UPS though.

Is the DVR is toast or just stuck in a loop?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello. Some things do bear repeating. It could be a bad power adapter. It could be a bad hard drive. It could be a bad DVR. In the event of any repairs, you may want to consider the above mentioned order when effecting any repairs. It is possible for a brownout or blackout to damage a power adapter. Especially and older one.

I never thought about the power adapter. I will check it and see if I have another adapter to test with. I'm also thinking the DVR needs a firmware flash. I don't have a tool to flash it with unless it can be flashed with a USB stick by booting up with the USB attached.

Here is my software for flashing the firmware (in an old post on cctvforum.com): viewtopic.php?t=36656. I still have no idea how to flash it. I put all three files, one large .bin file and two .img files into a bootable .iso file on a USB flash drive and ran it at startup. So far, no luck getting it to stop rebooting and not loading the Dahua DVR program. Any suggestions are welcome. GadgetAssistant, it cannot be a "power adapter." There is a power cord to a power supply unit (PSU) inside the DVR.

Edited by Guest

I mentioned in an earlier post (yesterday) that my hybrid Dahua DVR-9116HFI-H16 "Linovision Special" DVR of 2012 is freezing on bootup and rebooting about every ten minutes to the same screen. Mouse is frozen. Power cord checked, HDD checked, mouse checked, etc. Motherboard was sent to China couple years ago when it was under warranty. It worked okay until the power went off in the neighborhood.

I created a bootable USB thumb drive using Rufus with a .bin file, General_DVRxx04HX-U-NVR_Eng_PN_TVC_V2.608.0000.0.R.20120917, and two .img files, u-boot.bin and update. The Linovision agent sent me the files though I really don't know how to flash a DVR that is freezing and rebooting. The DVR generated some text files with information about the problem(s). I can't understand it. Is there anyone with Linux code skills who can tell me what the plain language problem is based on the text? It cannot be attached on this site. Moderator is unreachable as of Monday, 19 Jun 2017.

Hi. How old is your unit ....... Your link is to a 2u unit.

What happends with the green led lights when you are running it with the lit off ?? (In centre of board)

Are you running 16 or 32 analog cameras

Hi. How old is your unit ....... Your link is to a 2u unit.

What happends with the green led lights when you are running it with the lit off ?? (In centre of board)

Are you running 16 or 32 analog cameras

tommcctv,

Looking from the rear forward there are three black heat sink-looking square components with fins center left to right. There are two blue LED's, LED 10 and 11 which blink slowly. On the far right LED's 12 and 13 are solid green when the DVR is booting up (and every time it reboots). LED 13 starts blinking a steady blink when the unit has booted up and freezes. There is a single green LED, LED 14 that stays lit.

The unit was manufactured around 2012 (on the cardboard box) and has 16 channels but I have never run more than nine analog and IP cameras. I paid a king's ransom for it. DVR is connected to a PoE switch which appears to be working. Hope this description helps.

Edited by Guest

How many HDD are there

There were two 2TB HDD's and one 1TB HDD at the time of the failure. I am connected to the 1TB HDD now. I removed all the HDD's and all were "unallocated" at the time and I formatted them to NTFS. I copied a file to them and they ran smooth as silk.

Ok ..... one of your HDD is faulty....... led lights tells me that .

Also you can't format the HD and then install to dvr.

Dvr must do the formatting

I would start by installing one new HD .... new direct into dvr and see how that runs

You should only have 1 green led on permanent

Ok ..... one of your HDD is faulty....... led lights tells me that .

Also you can't format the HD and then install to dvr.

Dvr must do the formatting

I would start by installing one new HD .... new direct into dvr and see how that runs

You should only have 1 green led on permanent

tomcctv,

That sounds like a plan. I will find a new HDD and add to the DVR and see if it will work. Thanks for looking at this problem. I will let you know how it works out.

Hi. I have had the same problem I few times

All leds must be on constant ..... it's a simple health check for HD

Tom,

I installed a 2TB Hitachi HDD with 7200 rpm but the lights still blink. I tested it with several programs and the HDD appears to be working normally. Not sure what is causing the DVR to reboot and freeze. No response. Surprising how much information is on the internet that there is not much on DVR problems.