Sign in to follow this  
CassarJ

New firmware not available - Is there a replacement DVR?

All,

I only recently discovered that my DVR has more holes than edam cheese when it comes to security.

I'm referring to the Dahua authentication hack where anyone can get the full passwd file.

I looked everywhere but cant see updated firmware.

Its an old Hawk 04 - to be fair it does the job I need it to do. I have a vacation home I rent out, so the CCTV simply has to monitor the Driveway/Front door so I can see comings and goings.

This CCTV uses phono video type plugs rather than Ethernet so I guess it would be hard to replace anyway, as I wouldn't want the hassle of rerunning all the wires again!

Anyway I removed all external internet access so that largely negates the useless security of this unit.

I just ssh in now and use port forwarding which works well. Next time I'm over I'll isolate my devices from the guest wifi, so visiting guests cant hack the CCTV.

I'm just surprised manufacturers aren't compelled to fix major issues like this. It seems many CCTV DVRs are still un-patched.

Anyone else use a Hawk04?

Is there a replacement DVR that can use my existing cameras?

Thanks

J

Hi. You only need to alter all passwords from factory ..... create one admin account and then delete everything else.

What remote app are you using ?

Your system is a IC realtime ... from Florida

Hi. You only need to alter all passwords from factory ..... create one admin account and then delete everything else.

What remote app are you using ?

Your system is a IC realtime ... from Florida

Yes it is.

I'm happy with what the system does just not the security- it seems very hackable.

I have isolated the risk somewhat by removing it from the internet, but you shouldn't need to do that.

Software 2.616.0000.0, Build Date: 2014-10-14