timg11

Upgrading old DVR to Hybrid - what are the best options?

I've got an old Q-See 8 channel analog DVR, and I want to upgrade to more channels and more resolution.

I'd like a hybrid, so I can keep a few of the existing analog cameras, replace some analog cameras with HDCVI and keep the existing coax, and for new locations, run CAT5 and install IP cameras.

I'm looking for 16 channels, although it appears that some have 16 analog + 8 IP, and that's OK too.

I've done hours of searching, and I'm confused. Sites like Amazon and NewEgg don't have any ratings or reviews so I don't have a sense for the popular and quality offerings. I'm looking for the midrange - decent quality, but not top-tier prices either.

I don't want any type of "cloud service" or having the DVR being connected to the manufacturer's site. For remote access, I'll set up a VPN into my network and access it "locally".

So far I've found these that seem to be in the ballpark:

• optiviewusa.com HDVR164M-T2
    cctvcameraworld.com 16 Channel 4MP Tribrid DVR SKU: DVRCVPT164M

I have concerns with these because the specs are not clear, and I can't figure out what the actual frame rate would be for a system.

For example, 1 4MP HDCVI camera, 15 1080P HDCVI cameras, and 4 1080P IP cameras. Would they all record at 30fps? (Except the 4MP, it seems they are limited to 15fps).

Are there other manufacturers I should look at?