Sign in to follow this  
davey55

Remote viewing of DVR

Hi,

Am not very clued up with terminology so sorry if I am not describing very well .

The basic problem is my laptop for remote viewing has died and as it was used so infrequently i cannot remember the password for the router which is a Vigor 2800VG. The ethernet cable from the DVR goes into one of the ports on the router P1. Resetting the router and configuring again seems complicated so am wondering if I would be better just using a spare D link router which I have and if so how do I set it up. I did manage to note the IP address on the old laptop before it died completely.

The old laptop had PSS for viewing, would I be better sticking with that or trying Smart Pro. Another slight problem is either PSS or Smart pro am struggling moving windows round to access the required fields, have already tried connecting with the D link router using the internet then a lan socket but cannot get the DVR to show. There is no internet connection to the router.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi. If you still use the vigor router you should not have a problem

You only need the local IP address of your dvr which can be found in network settings .it will be something like 192.168.1.x and the port will be 37777 ...... Just enter all that into your PSS.

For a quick test again look for local IP in dvr network settings and then just type your IP and port into your browser

http://192.167.1.x:37777. And that should take you direct to your dvr browser screen

So just press the reset button on the Vigor router first and login with the default password?

And how do I get the full pss window to show, I have tried dragging it round but it just pops back to the same place with some off the bottom of the screen, on the old laptop I could grab the side of the window and move it like that.

So just press the reset button on the Vigor router first and login with the default password?

And how do I get the full pss window to show, I have tried dragging it round but it just pops back to the same place with some off the bottom of the screen, on the old laptop I could grab the side of the window and move it like that.

No. Don't touch the reset button ........... Nothing has happend to your router ..... It's only your laptop that gave up.

Its not connected to the internet, just to the DVR for local viewing, that's why I thought it might be better to try and use a simpler router than trying to reset the Vigor.

Its not connected to the internet, just to the DVR for local viewing, that's why I thought it might be better to try and use a simpler router than trying to reset the Vigor.

Ok. Well you have no problems in pressing the reset button on your router ....... As you are only using it locally you don't need to do any port forwarding

Reset your router ..... Then go into dvr network setting and you will see a tick box DHCP tick it and press apply. Come out of network screen and then go back into it. Under IP address ..... That is the IP you need to use ....... You don't need to do any port forwarding

Just enter into your laptop browser

http://IP address from your dvr.

And it will connect

Then go into dvr network setting and you will see a tick box DHCP tick it

Is this setting on the dvr itself or on the laptop?

Sorry, am thick! thanks for your help am going to have one last sleep to try and remember the old password and if not will do the reset in the morning.

Sorry, am thick! thanks for your help am going to have one last sleep to try and remember the old password and if not will do the reset in the morning.

Why do you need the password ..... Your using router local

Using local means you have no settings

To connect the laptop wirelessly to the router as it is at the other end of the property, with not understanding the terminology to me local means not far away.

To connect the laptop wirelessly to the router as it is at the other end of the property, with not understanding the terminology to me local means not far away.

Local in network terms means your home ..... no internet needed.

If you follow the instructions as posted ..... you would of had it all done in less than 10 minutes

Sorry again, but I still have the problem with the PSS device manager window not displaying fully and when I try and move it it actually cuts part of the window off including the bottom frame so I lose the buttons and until I get this sorted out I cannot add the router. Am presuming it is something to do with windows 10 on the small laptop so until I can sort this problem out there is no point dong the reset.

Been messing about all day trying to sort the window problem out as I don't like keep coming back asking

Sorry again, but I still have the problem with the PSS device manager window not displaying fully and when I try and move it it actually cuts part of the window off including the bottom frame so I lose the buttons and until I get this sorted out I cannot add the router. Am presuming it is something to do with windows 10 on the small laptop so until I can sort this problem out there is no point dong the reset.

Been messing about all day trying to sort the window problem out as I don't like keep coming back asking

Again as stated in earlier post ........ Try with browser first...... Just type dvr IP into browser

Why you think router rest is a problem ...... It's not even only using it a local connection

Windows 10. Run PSS in comparability mode

And that will only take you 20 seconds

I did try the browser and it just came up as no internet connection, working on the compatibilty mode now to see which fits best.

I did try the browser and it just came up as no internet connection, working on the compatibilty mode now to see which fits best.

Are you connected to router ?? Your dvr is a local IP

Yes, connected to router and got ip from dvr and also managed to note from old laptop before battery died it was the same

There is a compatibility troubleshooter which says windows 8 which is a bit better than 10, if i could move the window a tiny bit would be ok but when I move it it seems to move further than I want have tried all the others windows versions too,

Will try again tomorrow!

Think I might be getting somewhere at last, reset the router and when I type in the IP of the DVR I get a page with boxes

am presuming i wont be able to get any further until I can add to PSS

Capture.PNG.9a6d3a00a90781493622176f821241df.PNG

comes up as the site cannot be reached, no internet

Ok forget http and www

And just enter IP address

Or IP address :37777

If you can’t get this to work there is no point in you trying with pss