visionview

Brand new to surveillance - hikvision DVR

Excuse my limited understanding, I'm brand new to this stuff.

I bought a stand alone Hikvision camera, set it up with a password and accessed it via iVMS-4500 and iVMS-4200 on PC. I powered this camera with a PoE switch.

Next I wanted to try a 2nd camera and decided to also purchase the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2 since I plan on building out a 6 camera system.

Now things start to get confusing for me.

The DVR does POE and assigns IP addresses to the devices directly connected. So that means I can't connect direct to the camera (unless the DVR routes to its private network range???).

I tried to setup one camera, through the remote configuration in the iVMS-4200 software. If I set it to plug-and-play as the adding method, I get an error incorrect username and password.

If I set the adding method to manual and supply the username & password I get an error about unable to reach network.

I've gone through the manual, which is very large at 300+ pages but I actually find it to say very little I can understand.

Can someone give me an overview of how cameras are supposed to be setup when used with the DVR?

Thought I would post an update here, as I figured out my issue.

The first camera I got, I setup as a stand alone camera with username/password.

When I got my DVR I could connect to my camera - if it was on my main network connecting with the username/password.

However, when I moved that camera to the POE ports on the DVR directly the plug-and-play mode could not connect, staying invalid username/password or something. Makes sense since I set the username/password on the camera and in plug-and-play you don't define a username & password.

So the fix was to reset the camera that I defined the username/password on, then when plugged into the DVR ports directly it instantly configured the camera with the plug-and-play feature.

Makes perfect sense now... but was not so clear initially to a noob like myself.